GM shipping docs - Chevy Nova Forum
Visit our sponsor, National Nostalgic Nova

Steve's Nova Site is an automotive enthusiast website dedicated to the 1962 - 1979 Chevrolet Nova, Chevy II and Acadian automobiles. We work together to preserve, restore, drive, show, race and provide fellowship for these classic cars. This is one of the best places to find information about parts, rebuilding, restoration and racing. This website is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or Chevrolet in any capacity.

Go Back   Chevy Nova Forum > General > Originality

StevesNovaSite.com is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 31st-August-2019, 08:48 PM   #1
l79Nova
(OP)

Title: Nova Guru
Nova(s): Marina Blue 66 L79 SS
GM shipping docs

I finally sent away for my shipping docs thru NCRS Chevymusclecars. They say 30 days because I could not justify $90 for expedited info that will not get my car on the road any faster. And if I die between now and then...Oh Well! I bought the car in 1974 and it has the black plates that were on it then. I live in California and my plate starts with a V which I have been told was registered to 1967 vehicles. So it seems my car my have had a change in ownership where the original plates were removed for whatever reason or it remained on the lot unsold until 1967. ?? My father or myself had owned two other 1966 cars which had plates starting with a T or a R. I have found some really weird stuff about the car in the past but since my buddy bought it from a local guy in 72 I can't see what would have happened between new and his purchase. So in 30 days or so I will have the truth about my car's origins. Yippee!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 31st-August-2019, 09:50 PM   #2
CdnL79 Registry

Title: Moderator
Nova(s): See my signature.
I think this documentation will give you the production date and the selling dealer, but not much more. It's quite possible your L79 sat at the dealer's until the '67s came out. Mine did. There wasn't a whole lot of excitement about the 350 HP Chevy II in 1966. Mine sold at a $500 discount after the 67s arrived.

Bob
70 Nova SS L78 sold

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 31st-August-2019, 10:15 PM   #3
dealer-deuce

Nova(s): A FAKE 63 NOVA
Ncrs

I sent away for the fancy piece paper for my sons 1970 Super Sport. as stated by Bob I received production date and shipping zone no other information was provided. it was worth a shot!!

Old 1st-September-2019, 10:07 AM   #4
utterson

Nova(s): 1966 Nova SS
Ya Bob is right I got it for mine they don't give much info. But it was nice to know witch dealer it was sent to

Last edited by utterson; 1st-September-2019 at 09:37 PM.
Old 1st-September-2019, 11:04 AM   #5
l79Nova
(OP)

Just to know where the car was originally shipped and shipping date is enough. I know I won't get much else but at least I will know if it was originally shipped to Los Angeles. BTW... My engine is not stamped with the VIN and I had been told some were but some were not. A friend of mine owns a true L79 but his block was replaced for whatever reason back in the early 80's. Another guy I know believes he may have picked it up from the shop were the exchange took place around that same time. He located the block yesterday in his garage and said his block also is void of the VIN. And he has verified the authenticity of the L79 block. So not all Novas had the engine stamped with the VIN in 1966. At least in California. Another interesting note. My friends car was in California in the 80's and he has the original air cleaner but it is not a smog air cleaner which I find interesting. I need to research more and find out if the block my other friend picked up that we believe came from that car has the smog designation on the numbers on the block. Mine does but it had headers on it in 1972 and when I picked it up in 74 the original air cleaner had been swapped for a open filament style and the smog pump was long gone if it even had one.

Old 1st-September-2019, 12:21 PM   #6
CdnL79 Registry

Nova(s): See my signature.
The partial VINs were stamped on blocks at the plant where the car was built. It's possible some plants did not do this, or they were inconsistent in doing it. We know for sure that the Chevy II and Acadian L79s built in Canada did not get the blocks stamped with VINs. Even if there is no partial VIN, these engines should still have a suffix code that was stamped at the Flint engine plant.

L79 Chevy IIs in the U.S. with A.I.R had suffix codes ending in ZG or ZH. The ZH also indicated the car had a/c. There were no A.I.R. L79s built in Canada and there was no a/c option. As a result, all Canadian L79s had ZI suffix codes. Some of the non VIN blocks in the U.S. may have filtered down from Canada.

Bob
70 Nova SS L78 sold

Old 1st-September-2019, 12:26 PM   #7
Exlimey

Nova(s): 67 4 door, 65 wagon
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by l79Nova View Post
I live in California and my plate starts with a V which I have been told was registered to 1967 vehicles.
My first Nova, a '67, was purchased when I was living in Pasadena. It was
VDN xxx (can't remember the exact number) I still have the front plate off it at my house in Michigan. I also have an old key chain that was a small reproduction of the exact black plate.

"I'm just a cross-tie walker, where the freight trains run."

Lucille
Old 1st-September-2019, 05:25 PM   #8
l79Nova
(OP)

My block does have the ZG. And it was a piece of crap block as it had major casting issues causing me to sleeve it, grind it and some welding. My plate is VHL way after VDN. My father had a 66 Impala Station wagon that was totaled as it caught fire from the quadrajet carb leaking and backfiring causing the fire while at a stoplight. My 66 Malibu sport did the same thing but a guy had a fire extinguisher. Both had smog pumps. When my father passed away we kids found a key chain licence plate just like Stuart's with the Impala's License number. RAN 714. I have it placed in a keepsake box. I still remembered that plate number before we found the key chain. I remember my Malibu was THE 264. Would like to know what happened to it. It was a Automatic 327 with 275 HP. I converted to a four speed and then back to auto later on for my mom. Ended up selling to a kid a few blocks away and never head about it again. I couldn't tell you the plate of any other cars I have owned or still owned including my truck I ordered new and I had for 28 years and my Volvo now of 17 years. I guess memory does decline as we get older.

Last edited by l79Nova; 1st-September-2019 at 05:28 PM. Reason: add info
Old 2nd-September-2019, 06:18 PM   #9
supersport67

Title: Nova Newbie
Nova(s): 67 SS
vins

L 79 should have the vin stamped on frt pad 275 hp cars do not. My 67 SS has the original TRY Blk Plate
Old 5th-September-2019, 08:19 PM   #10
VintageCorvettes

Title: Nova Newbie
Unless you have factory documents proving the L-79 option I would never pay the higher costs involved that owners think their car is worth. A local business in Wisconsin restamps blocks and purchased a broaching machine to make the casting look original. So many knock offs passed off as high performance options exist it is difficult to find true originals. The option probably consists of heads, cam, intake and carburetor so its nothing that can't be duplicated easily inside.
Old 6th-September-2019, 12:17 AM   #11
l79Nova
(OP)

Based on all the specific parts that were on the car in 1972 when my friend had bought it and me not changing anything, I know it is a L79. Plus the block was never changed and the deck is crap from 1973 when it was pulled out of the car for damage. I still have the original pistons and oil pickup that was L79 specific. I will die with the car and then my heirs can decide what they want to do with it. Just have to specify my one nephew can't have it. it will be in a wall before the engine is even warmed up.

I just received notice by email today that the docs have been shipped to my address. Can't wait. Hopefully it will help in determining the original ship to location.

Old 6th-September-2019, 08:59 AM   #12
YENKO DEUCE REG

Nova(s): 1970 Yenko Deuce 1969 Super Sport
Awesome!! Let us know what the NCRS doc's say, and be prepared that sometimes they will list the Zone and Dealer codes but no dealer name - because they don't know. However, there are a lot of guys out there that can help decipher, and then its on to buying dealer memorabilia - one of my favorite things to search for, like this license plate for my son's Nova.....
Attached Images

Old 9th-September-2019, 12:30 AM   #13
SouthBay2s

Title: Supporting Vendor
Nova(s): 67 400 4-Door
Quote:
Originally Posted by l79Nova View Post
...I bought the car in 1974 and it has the black plates that were on it then. I live in California and my plate starts with a V which I have been told was registered to 1967 vehicles. So it seems my car my have had a change in ownership where the original plates were removed for whatever reason or it remained on the lot unsold until 1967. ?? My father or myself had owned two other 1966 cars which had plates starting with a T or a R.
The first three letters of the California black plates are the sequence code for the issuing DMV. For reference in your area Hawthorne was GHS - GKH, Inglewood GLX - GQN and Torrance IQT - ITZ.

The letters are also tied to the year of issue sort of. Supposedly each year between 1963 and 1968 (or 69 depending on source) the DMV stamped x thousands of plates and distributed them out to regional offices. The subsequent year the letter codes moved forward alphabetically. As a generic example, in 1963 they produced sequence AAA - CCC, in 1964 DDD - FFF and so on. A plate starting with a "V" is supposed to be in the 1967 plate pool, unfortunately I do not have reference to its district.

Here is how this system breaks down in application...

A DMV office would hand out plates from stock as needed. Lets assume they did not skip sequence. If they were in a rural area it could take them a few years to exhaust their initial supply from 1963. Hence they are plating 1966 model year cars with 1963 designated plates. Conversely, a dealer in Los Angeles might exhaust their supply in 6 months. What plates were they then restocked with? Was there a pool of reserve plates for just this scenario?

Real world example, my 65 SS had plates starting with NPG (I still have them) which is in the 1963 license plate pool for the central Sacramento office. As far as I know the car had been in L.A. its whole life and never re-plated. Could it be left over 1963 plate stock in Sacramento was shipped to a busy L.A. dealer to fill plate demand in 1965?

Cars can also have black plates "out of sequence" if they were from another state then brought into California in this period. Say a 1962 Nova was brought into California in 1968, it would have been given 1968 batch plates (theoretically )
1973 Nova Custom - sold

Last edited by SouthBay2s; 9th-September-2019 at 12:34 AM.
Old 10th-September-2019, 12:15 AM   #14
l79Nova
(OP)

Interesting info SouthBay2. I just pulled my docs out of the mailbox tonight. So what I found out is good info. The cars production date was Feb 9 1966 which I knew it was the second week of Feb. That corresponds with the engine build of January 18 1966. The dealer was Connell Chevrolet in Costa Mesa. Code 125 Zone 20. The great news is they are still in business. Not sure if they keep old records but next week on my day off I am heading down there to see if they kept the cars records. On there website they say they have been in business since 1960. I wonder if they would know anything about the car when it came in and if they sold it or it was transferred to another dealer maybe in LA. Somehow it started in Orange County and ended up in Torrance California 4 or 5 years later where my friend found it. Woohoo!

Old 10th-September-2019, 11:31 AM   #15
SouthBay2s

Title: Supporting Vendor
Nova(s): 67 400 4-Door
Congrats on getting useful information from the shipping documents Always great to get that new little piece of information that moves the vehicle's story forward.

Good luck with the Costa Mesa dealership. My understanding from speaking with former dealer employees and lots of years of seeking info, records were normally purged when they exceeded ten years old. But you never know until you check. There are examples of records being saved by employees or not being purged. The Kevin Marti example in the Ford world, probably the greatest records "find" for this period American cars. You can't find it unless you look!

Again good luck and keep us posted
1973 Nova Custom - sold

Last edited by SouthBay2s; 10th-September-2019 at 11:33 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement