who has good fiberglass doors? - Chevy Nova Forum
Visit our sponsor, National Nostalgic Nova

Steve's Nova Site is an automotive enthusiast website dedicated to the 1962 - 1979 Chevrolet Nova, Chevy II and Acadian automobiles. We work together to preserve, restore, drive, show, race and provide fellowship for these classic cars. This is one of the best places to find information about parts, rebuilding, restoration and racing. This website is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or Chevrolet in any capacity.

Go Back   Chevy Nova Forum > General > Drag Racing Forum

StevesNovaSite.com is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 6th-June-2007, 11:28 PM   #1
chevy72nova
(OP)

Title: Nova Junior Member
Nova(s): 72, 74, 69, 63
who has good fiberglass doors?

ive been thinking about ordering a set of fiberglass doors for my 72 but im not sure who to get them from. unlimited products has the cheapest ive found but ive heard bad things about theyre quality. they are 209 each and it says you can use the stock latch and hinges.

i have heard that vfn makes nice stuff but those doors will cost me about 600 before shipping. US body source they are also about 600 a pair before shipping.

i plan on using polycarbonate windows from clear one windows unless i can find lexan for cheap. if anyone has any ideas where i can get the best deal or if anyone has a set of fiberglass doors they want to sell please let me know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 7th-June-2007, 12:07 AM   #2
Custom Jim

Title: Moderator
Nova(s): 1968,1973,1974,1977(Sold)
Garage
I bought a set of fiberglass doors for my 73 from Glasstek. They did not originally take a roll up window but when I was working on it I took some window frames off of some donor doors and grafted the one side on (but ended up taking it back off for use on another car at a freinds body shop). Eventually when I get back to it I will try some type of regulator to allow a crank up type of window or something just to hold the window in the full up or down position without any regulator.
On my doors I added my own half of the hinge to where the original half of the door hinge on the side of the cowl was left intact. The hinge pin is very short to where when the door is opened I can lift up on the door and take it off of the car with no tools required. When it is closed a bracket slides under the half of the hinge on the car so they do not come off when driven.
Like so many fiberglass parts out there they needed some work. How much more than others I cannot say as this was my first experience with fiberglass car body parts and how I wanted them was to be better than other doors I had seen at the racetrack.
On mine three of the corners lined up just fine but one corner either stuck out or in and I made a diagonal cut on the inner structure, tweaked the door so it fit better and then glassed over my cut to make it solid once again and hold the shape.
From what I have seen with the Glasstek parts is if you look real close you can see the marks where the notch should be and the holes for things like the door latch and fender attachment bolts.

Jim

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 7th-June-2007, 05:20 AM   #3
Real McCoy

I have Harwood doors, front end and hood on my 71. I wasn't unhappy with them and after 5 years they still fit and look good. RM

T/S 67 Nova 6.0 certified chassis, Aluminum 655 BBC, 4.50 ET
Old 7th-June-2007, 04:55 PM   #4
chevy72nova
(OP)

Title: Nova Junior Member
Nova(s): 72, 74, 69, 63
i noticed the harwood doors had some excess fiberglass pictured in the window frame. can this be trimmed so that the doors look stock? i plan on using lexan or polycarbonate windows and want them to be able to go up and down and not be riveted in place. the harwoods are the most expensive ive seen yet. unlimited products are the cheapest.
Old 7th-June-2007, 11:42 PM   #5
Real McCoy

That added area is where you attach the lexan to the door. Most people paint the lexan black in that area then just use screws and nuts. I guess if your creative enough you could make the window work but it will require some serious effort to do that in my opinion. RM

T/S 67 Nova 6.0 certified chassis, Aluminum 655 BBC, 4.50 ET
Sponsored Links
Advertisement