Unlimited prouducts fiberglass QUALITY? - Chevy Nova Forum
Visit our sponsor, National Nostalgic Nova

Steve's Nova Site is an automotive enthusiast website dedicated to the 1962 - 1979 Chevrolet Nova, Chevy II and Acadian automobiles. We work together to preserve, restore, drive, show, race and provide fellowship for these classic cars. This is one of the best places to find information about parts, rebuilding, restoration and racing. This website is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or Chevrolet in any capacity.

Go Back   Chevy Nova Forum > General > Drag Racing Forum

StevesNovaSite.com is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 20th-May-2009, 04:17 AM   #1
tattoochucky
(OP)

Title: Nova Junior Member
Nova(s): 1963 nova ss
Unlimited prouducts fiberglass QUALITY?

Any one running Unlimited prouducts fiberglass hood, hows the quality? They are local and i can get a flat pin on hood for 219.00 dollars prtty cheep compared to glasstec or harwood 300 + 160 for shiping 460 ouch?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 20th-May-2009, 09:16 AM   #2
Chuck66

Title: Nova Newbie
Nova(s): 10 sec. 1966 Nova with a 350 SBC
Harwood is the way to go, however, I fully understand the $$, But the old saying goes "you get what you pay for" when it comes to fiberglass. The prep work is much less with harwood vs. some others and there's the $$ difference, so pay now or pay later. Good Luck

Chuck66
Old 20th-May-2009, 09:17 AM   #3
bowtie0069

Title: Nova Guru
Nova(s): 69
Unless they have made improvements over the last 10 years, it's pretty crude. They used to let you go thru their stock and pick from what they had, but I don't think you can do that anymore.
I spent many hours prepping a hood and bumper for a 1st gen just to make it useable. A Harwood can be scuffed, painted, and bolted on.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 20th-May-2009, 09:21 AM   #4
sproosemoose

Nova(s): 74 nova
it's true, you really get what you pay for with fiberglass. if you don't mind some body work or you don't care about fitment and looks, save the money. i'm sure durability is the same but beware that it will not look as good or fit as well as a more expensive hood.
Old 20th-May-2009, 09:47 AM   #5
HotRodShop

Title: Nova Newbie
Nova(s): 1966 Bracket car 1962
I had LOTS of problems with them
Old 20th-May-2009, 10:57 AM   #6
Toxic

Title: Nova Senior Member
Nova(s): 67 Nova, 69 Camaro Conv
Thumbs down

Yup, I'de have to agree with everyone else. I've been doing chevys for over 25 yrs. and they are the biggest piece of crap I have ever seen. dunno how they stay in business. stay away for them no matter how attractive the price is. if your only gonna primer it and race with it then maybe. its pretty thin fiberglass too. sorry when I was a kid I save up for hella long to get a cowl hood. what a let down that was.
Old 20th-May-2009, 11:47 AM   #7
72 ss

Nova(s): 62 chevy 2
crap crap crap crap!!!!!!!
Old 20th-May-2009, 12:50 PM   #8
Slo Poke

Nova(s): 1969 2 Door
My Uncle bought the one on my car in 1986 and it did need some work before he could paint it but we have never seen a fiberglass body part that didn't. My friend had a Harwood on his Malibu and I didn't care for it too much, it was really flimsy and we had to do more than just scuff it up and bolt it on before it was ready for paint.
Old 20th-May-2009, 01:39 PM   #9
383Nova

Good luck if buy from them.... It's your money but Good luck
Old 20th-May-2009, 02:39 PM   #10
jason snyder

I spent over 10 hours making a 68 elcamino hood fit !! that included cutting ,refiberglassing,bondoing, primer filling again and again and again ...... AND DONT EVEN LOOK AT THE UNDERSIDE .

BIGGEST PEICE OF CRAP ON THE PLANET !
Old 20th-May-2009, 03:24 PM   #11
bowtie0069

Nova(s): 69
My buddy bought a bolt-on Harwood with 4" cowl for a 3rd gen; we pulled it out of the box, layed it in place, and it needed nothing but scuffing the gel coat for paint. It fits as well as the stock hood, and is smooth as a baby's butt! I've never seen anything flimsy from Harwood.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 20th-May-2009, 03:26 PM   #12
ChevyII MD

Nova(s): 63 Hardtop 64 Chuck Wagon
headlight buckets

Bought pair if buckets from them.
I might as well have thrown them away!
to get them to work I'd have to redo everything they did...

Not a good product.

I say stay away!

Mark

63 Hardtop, way to long since I've driven it!
64 Wagon, Long Roof Society, The "Chuck Wagon"
Old 20th-May-2009, 08:23 PM   #13
novas4life

Nova(s): '67 ChevyII 2 '64 Nova W
Not supposed to vendor bash.So...........I'll keep my mouth shut...very tight,and biting my tounge.I will say that I have both Harwood and Unlimited products on my car.And its obvious which one is which.
Brandon
Old 20th-May-2009, 08:38 PM   #14
tbills66

Nova(s): 66 SS
I installed an unlimited bolt on cowl hood. I will say the body man put in well over 8 hours on just the top of the hood to make it look good. He did an excellent job and the hood looks great on top. The underside was unfinished and I knew that when I bought it, so I just sanded the angel hair that was hangning down and they shot some paint on it. I probably sanded on it for 8 hours and it is still nowhere near the looks of a completely finished hood. I am happy with the way it has turned out and it was what I was expecting for the money. It is by no means a Harwood, but I have also seen some bad Harwood stuff. Just as long as you don't expect perfect, you will be ok.

I would still trade it for a steel cowl hood any day, but they weren't making them when I got the glass hood.
Old 20th-May-2009, 09:40 PM   #15
Seattle_Mike

Title: Moderator
As the others have said, you get what you pay for. For glass, I believe Glasstek is the best but even then, it's glass and has all the inherent issues with glass as far as fitment, and finish quality lasting over time. If you want the best looking quality, stick with steel, if you absolutely have to have a custom hood for engine clearance or weight if you are racing, then go with glass or carbon fiber. If it's a street car, avoid a pin-on hood unless you want someone to help you take it on and off every time...they are a hassle.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement