GM shipping docs - Page 2 - Chevy Nova Forum
Visit our sponsor, National Nostalgic Nova

Steve's Nova Site is an automotive enthusiast website dedicated to the 1962 - 1979 Chevrolet Nova, Chevy II and Acadian automobiles. We work together to preserve, restore, drive, show, race and provide fellowship for these classic cars. This is one of the best places to find information about parts, rebuilding, restoration and racing. This website is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or Chevrolet in any capacity.

Go Back   Chevy Nova Forum > General > Originality

StevesNovaSite.com is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11th-September-2019, 12:20 AM   #16
l79Nova
(OP)

Title: Nova Guru
Nova(s): Marina Blue 66 L79 SS
I contacted the dealer last night and got a call this morning. They said they did not keep records from the 60's. I guess I will have to figure out other avenues. My car has been out of the registration circulation since the 80's. I don't know why but I last received 83 tags after I parked it and that was it. Later I found out it had been purged from the system. So now I have to jump thru hoops to get it back registered when it is road worthy. At least I have the black plates and the last registration plus the pink slip. Maybe DMV will be able to find something out. I know my friend bought it in 72 and that is as far back as I know till it passed a few hands and I found it in 74. the block is a smog block meaning it is stamped for a smog pump but I am not sure if Orange County required smog pumps in 1966. I know LA did but San Bernardino didn't from what I have been told.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 15th-September-2019, 04:26 AM   #17
fsc66

Title: Nova Junior Member
Dealer info

If anyone gets back just a zone and code with no dealer, shoot me an e-mail with the info and Iíll check my database of dealers to see if I can assist.

[email protected]

Paul

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 15th-September-2019, 08:15 PM   #18
SouthBay2s

Title: Supporting Vendor
Nova(s): 67 400 4-Door
Quote:
Originally Posted by l79Nova View Post
...I found out it had been purged from the system. So now I have to jump thru hoops to get it back registered when it is road worthy.
Purged from the system is normally a good thing, any built up fees or registration issues are gone. Unless they have changed the rules, with the right paperwork you can walk out of the DMV back in the system and fully registered with the car still apart in the garage. When you are ready to tackle this chore, PM me and I will run you through the process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by l79Nova View Post
...the block is a smog block meaning it is stamped for a smog pump but I am not sure if Orange County required smog pumps in 1966. I know LA did but San Bernardino didn't from what I have been told.
My understanding is all vehicles destined for California with a manual trans required an AIR system starting in 1966.
1973 Nova Custom - sold

Old 17th-September-2019, 02:40 AM   #19
l79Nova
(OP)

Nova(s): Marina Blue 66 L79 SS
SouthBay2 I will definitely contact you when I am ready to register it. I was told by AAA that I needed to have it ready for inspection before I could get it registered. If that is not the case I am ecstatic Thanks. I know a guy who had a L79 from San Bernardino and he said it did not have a smog pump. But sometimes I don't know what to believe from him.

Old 17th-September-2019, 12:20 PM   #20
SouthBay2s

Title: Supporting Vendor
Nova(s): 67 400 4-Door
AAA is a great resource but they are not allowed to handle vehicle paperwork beyond the normal registrations and title transfers. I have always dealt with the DMV directly in situations such as yours.

San Bernardino being a rural county back in the 1960s likely did not require smog inspections. Cars coming into the state for sale would have had to meet California's stricter emissions standards, regardless of their county of destination. My reference for this is, I was in the Auto Tech program there at El Camino back when these cars still had to be smoged. In addition to service and repair of the systems, we had to know the "when" and "how" implementation requirements of the state. If my memory serves me correctly - 1963 closed ventilation (PCV), 1966 AIR manual trans cars, 1970 thermatic & evap, 1973 EGR.
1973 Nova Custom - sold
Old 23rd-September-2019, 01:43 PM   #21
CdnL79 Registry

Title: Moderator
Nova(s): See my signature.
Below is a partial GM Canada shipping report from April, 1966. These sheets, stored on microfiche at GM Canada, are the basic source of documentation for cars built or sold new in Canada. They used to include the sheet with your car listed on it as part of the documentation package. Problem was there were at least 50 other cars listed, some quite rare. I have a sheet with 11 L79s on it! As you can see, you could virtually build a car from the information on these sheets. With a donor body, fraudulent VIN tag, cowl plate and engine stamp, you could have yourself a numbers matching, option correct, L79 with GM Canada documentation. With this possibility in mind, they stopped sending the sheets in the mid 90's. I don't know of any fraudulent use of these reports over the years, but the opportunity was always there.

It makes me wonder if the meager NCRS info is coming from sheets similar to this. Does GM in the U.S. have all this other info, but NCRS can't access it? This may be the case, but it will never be released. Can you imagine all those rare Camaros and Chevelles being discovered as fakes? GM would be roasted in court cases for years for not releasing this information that could have prevented untold numbers of fraudulent cars from being built. So, the U.S. gets production date and selling dealer info. Better than nothing, I guess.

Bob
Attached Images

70 Nova SS L78 sold

Old 25th-September-2019, 12:09 PM   #22
CdnL79 Registry

Title: Moderator
Nova(s): See my signature.
Just answered a PM from a member concerning a couple of the headings on the GM Canada Vehicles Shipped sheet above. For others who might be wondering, The 'DR' column has numbers from 1-9 and denotes the build category. A '1' is a LHD build for the domestic market, '2' was a RHD model for the domestic market, '3' was a LHD export and '4' was a RHD export. Numbers 5-8 were complete knockdown cars for export and 9 was semi knockdown. The knockdown cars were either fully or partly assembled at the export destination.

The FCO column is the Fisher Body sequence number. Fisher Body in Canada operated as a consolidated operation within the assembly plant, rather than a separate entity as in the U.S. Fisher in the U.S. was consolidated in the early 70's.

Bob
70 Nova SS L78 sold

Old 26th-September-2019, 12:47 AM   #23
franksL79

Nova(s): 1966 L-79 SS canadian doc
L-79

My L-79 has the engine date stamped F0II8ZI and with no vin from Canada, production date March 11 1966 and it shipped March 15 1966
Sponsored Links
Advertisement