New Member New Nova - Chevy Nova Forum
Visit our sponsor, National Nostalgic Nova

Steve's Nova Site is an automotive enthusiast website dedicated to the 1962 - 1979 Chevrolet Nova, Chevy II and Acadian automobiles. We work together to preserve, restore, drive, show, race and provide fellowship for these classic cars. This is one of the best places to find information about parts, rebuilding, restoration and racing. This website is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or Chevrolet in any capacity.

Go Back   Chevy Nova Forum > Non-Technical > 1st & 2nd Generation Chevy II/Nova's

StevesNovaSite.com is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 14th-May-2006, 10:41 PM   #1
nebraskarod
(OP)

Title: Nova Newbie
Nova(s): 63 SS Convert
New Member New Nova

Hello all, usually I lurk for a few months before posting, but I have a new car and a few questions. I just purchased a 1963 SS Convertible with black exterior, red interior and 400 small block This is a nice driver, and should make a great car once brought back up to the level it deserves.

1. It has no seat belts. Where do people recommend I purchase lap belts for the front. What have others done for the rear. I took the rear seat out and found nothing of substance to bolt them too.

2. The drum brakes on the front are pretty week (spongy). Can a get I get good results from rebuilding the drums, and adding a brake booster, or do you really need to convert to a disk system.

Thank in advance, I will post a couple of pictures later this week. I am stoked, I have been looking for a long time for that perfect classic.

rod in nebraska
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 14th-May-2006, 10:48 PM   #2
Raymond

Title: Nova Guru
Nova(s): 1964 SS (sold)
Thumbs up

Welcome to the site......lots of great people here! As for your Nova...convert to power discs,makes life easier!
Old 14th-May-2006, 11:44 PM   #3
DANNO

Nova(s): 72 Sedan
Welcome to the site! I agree. With a 400, go discs.

Dan (welcomingly)

Old 15th-May-2006, 09:08 PM   #4
mychevyii20

Nova(s): 1966 More Door 350hp 350
For the seatbelts, see if you can find a newer 1st or 2nd gen to look at. I know they were stock in my 66.

The seat belt points are plates welded in. Many of the aftermarket seatbelt companies sell adapter kits, mainly big washers to spread out the load on the sheetmetal.

Depends on how detailed you want to get. You could make some plates with threaded holes in and weld them on the underside. and use them as the anchors like stock ones.

I replaced the stock lap belts with new ones that retracted. The rears, similar to stock style. For the fronts I bought the retractors and got the adapter kit. The retractor has a side mount hole. The adapter kit came with angle Iron to adapt the retractor to floor mounts. They sit on the floor, right on the outer edge of the bucket seats. Works well.

You can fight and fix the front drums, but in the long run with the 400 you will want power discs. There is a very good reason cars aren't built with front drums anymore.
Old 15th-May-2006, 10:41 PM   #5
nebraskarod
(OP)

seat belts and threads

I made a trip down to Speedway motors over lunch today and bough 4 lap belts. The front two are retractible as described previously. They installed pretty much as described and look quite nice in red with a crome buckles. I will work on installing the rears this weekend.

Regarding the disk conversion, has anyone have any luck with some of the offerings on the internet? Any recommendations? I would like to keep this low cost right now since I shelled out premium for the car and need to let the saving account build back up.

I have noticed that the powergluide is a little rough until the car warms up and shifts a few times. I have not checked it out too closely since the guy I bought it from (family aquantance) just went thru the transmission. Otherwise the car is great. The front end was just rebuilt (stock). It should get me thru the summer as is then we will start some more extensive work over the winter.

thanks again,
rod
Old 18th-May-2006, 10:48 AM   #6
chevynuts88

Nova(s): 66 SS
I would like retractable seat belts for the front also. Any Canadian sources?
Old 15th-June-2006, 03:09 PM   #7
KINGPINS66NOVA

Talking New Also

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevynuts88
I would like retractable seat belts for the front also. Any Canadian sources?
I THINK SUMMIT HAS SOME BUT THEIR LIKE 275$EACH,I ALL SO NEED SOME
Old 15th-June-2006, 07:42 PM   #8
sthole

[QUOTE=nebraskarod]Hello all, usually I lurk for a few months before posting, but I have a new car and a few questions. I just purchased a 1963 SS Convertible with black exterior, red interior and 400 small block This is a nice driver, and should make a great car once brought back up to the level it deserves.

2. The drum brakes on the front are pretty week (spongy). Can a get I get good results from rebuilding the drums, and adding a brake booster, or do you really need to convert to a disk system.

don't know about the belts, but for the brakes go discs hands down. many benifits. welcome.
Old 15th-June-2006, 08:28 PM   #9
KINGPINS66NOVA

[QUOTE=sthole]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebraskarod
Hello all, usually I lurk for a few months before posting, but I have a new car and a few questions. I just purchased a 1963 SS Convertible with black exterior, red interior and 400 small block This is a nice driver, and should make a great car once brought back up to the level it deserves.

don't know about the belts, but for the brakes go discs hands down. many benifits. welcome.
CONVERT TO DISK SYSTEM,U WILL FEEL THE DIFF.THATS WHAT I GOT,MINE HAD DRUM ALSO
Old 16th-June-2006, 09:07 PM   #10
63AKDN

Nova(s): 63 Acadian Beaumont
Rod,
First of all, welcome to the site. This is a very friendly place full of knowledgeable people. Any questions you may have can be found here.

As for the rear seatbelts, when installing ones in the rear of my 63, Rich66 sent me pictures of the dimensions for the ones in his car. I can't remember if they were in his car already or he got the dimensions from someone else and installed them, either way if you'd like pictures with the dimensions send me an email at
[email protected]

I tried to attach the pictures to this post but for some reason they would not work.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1963 Acadian Beaumont
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

355/700R4/Auburn Pro Series posi and 3.73's
Old 16th-June-2006, 09:15 PM   #11
NIGHTSHADE

Nova(s): NONE! It's a Chevy
Just remember if you convert your front to discs and get 5 lug, then you'll want to get a 5 lug rear too, or it will look kinda funny. And the need for 2 spares will reduce your trunk space.
Old 18th-June-2006, 10:57 PM   #12
nebraskarod
(OP)

convert to disk

I was down at speedway motors this weekend and the guy told me the 239 conversion would work. I still need to get the spindles machines and convert the master, but it should come in around 500 bucks. I already have 5 lug on the car (checked a few days ago).

Thannks for the advice.

rod
Sponsored Links
Advertisement