17-18" rim pics?? - Chevy Nova Forum
Visit our sponsor, National Nostalgic Nova

Steve's Nova Site is an automotive enthusiast website dedicated to the 1962 - 1979 Chevrolet Nova, Chevy II and Acadian automobiles. We work together to preserve, restore, drive, show, race and provide fellowship for these classic cars. This is one of the best places to find information about parts, rebuilding, restoration and racing. This website is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or Chevrolet in any capacity.

Go Back   Chevy Nova Forum > Non-Technical > 3rd Generation Chevy II/Nova's

StevesNovaSite.com is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 4th-October-2019, 10:23 PM   #1
ramportin1
(OP)

Title: Nova Junior Member
Garage
17-18" rim pics??

Could anyone/everyone who has a 3rd gen with either 17 or 18" rims please post a picture so I can see the look, and post the size and ride height (like 17's 2" drop etc.) I've searched the net and found lots of images but I'm just guessing on sizes and ride heights because they dont say. I would greatly appreciate it as I must have this figured out before I can order my rear end. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 5th-October-2019, 07:50 AM   #2
rennova

Title: Nova Senior Member
Nova(s): 1974 nova
This is my car with 17" Foose Legend wheels. I have 2" Hotchkis lowering springs on the front and 1.5" Hotchkis lowering leaf springs.

Rear tires are 255 wide and fronts are 215

I like the size of wheel because i still have some rubber there between the rim and ashphalt, sidewall is not rediculously small.

If I was buying wheels again I would not choose these I find them really heavy and the chrome plating is cheap.

Id also go to a wider front tire. Rear I'd go wider but it would rub for sure.

20190825_205139 by Justin Rennie, on Flickr
Old 5th-October-2019, 10:30 AM   #3
ramportin1
(OP)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rennova View Post
This is my car with 17" Foose Legend wheels. I have 2" Hotchkis lowering springs on the front and 1.5" Hotchkis lowering leaf springs.

Rear tires are 255 wide and fronts are 215

I like the size of wheel because i still have some rubber there between the rim and ashphalt, sidewall is not rediculously small.

If I was buying wheels again I would not choose these I find them really heavy and the chrome plating is cheap.

Id also go to a wider front tire. Rear I'd go wider but it would rub for sure.

20190825_205139 by Justin Rennie, on Flickr
Thank you very much for posting, I really do appreciate it. It sound exactly like what im wanting and why im struggling a bit. I want a larger looking rim, but not huge, and I definitely want good amount of rubber. I have Detroit speed mini tubs already that are going in soon, and then Chris Alston sportsman ladder bar with coil over kit and narrowed fab9 is next order. Ive talked with chassisworks and one of the many things I must have figured out before ordering is exact wheel and tire combo and sizes, and ive really struggled with rim size .
I need 11" wide rims to utilize the mini tubs (otherwise I coulda just stayed factory size) but most 11" wide rims start at 18" diameter or bigger and im thinking 18" will be to big for the look im wanting, which has easily cut my rim choices in half by sticking to 17", so ive been running in circles trying to get a visual if 18" really is too big for me or not.

I apologize for the huge message, and appreciate the help.

Old 5th-October-2019, 12:37 PM   #4
Nova Thug

Title: Nova Guru
Nova(s): 63 SS, 64SS
17, 18, and 19inch wheels are pretty common sizes on BMWs and they have a 5x120 bolt circle works on the Chevy 5 on 4.75(5x120.6). E39 5 series BMWs from I believe 1997-2004 ran low offset wheels (ET20 & 26) on 8 and 9 wide wheels. I believe C5 or C6 Corvettes ran some 11 wide rears but their probably going to be 18 diameter.

These are 17x8 on passenger side and 18x8 on driver side.
Attached Images

Old 5th-October-2019, 01:06 PM   #5
NovaNoob101

Title: Nova Newbie
Nova(s): 1972 4 Door
I'm running 17 inch torque thrusts w/ sbc spring w/ 454. 2-3 inch lift in the rear. 205s up front and 275 in the rear

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Last edited by NovaNoob101; 5th-October-2019 at 01:19 PM.
Old 5th-October-2019, 01:20 PM   #6
ramportin1
(OP)

Garage
Thanks for the pictures guys. These rims are going to cost me about 4 grand , 11" wide forged rims (because I want 17", or possibly 18") cheapest I've found is 790 a piece all the way up to 1350 a piece . The fronts won't be as bad, but with the total cost being this much I wanna make sure I get my sizes right the first time around lol and without being able to see the sizes on the car it's really difficult

Old 5th-October-2019, 02:25 PM   #7
Nova Thug

I would suggest getting a Wheel Right tire sizing tool or mock up something to figure out your wheel and tire dimensions as accurately as possible.
Old 5th-October-2019, 02:50 PM   #8
ramportin1
(OP)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova Thug View Post
I would suggest getting a Wheel Right tire sizing tool or mock up something to figure out your wheel and tire dimensions as accurately as possible.
Thanks, I will look into that tool and try to make something up or even see if a buddy has a wheel I can borrow.

Old 6th-October-2019, 10:49 AM   #9
ramportin1
(OP)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova Thug View Post
Is this the tool you're talking about? It's the only one I can find, but has horrid reviews lol about flexing under it's own weight and if you are needing exact tolerances dont even bother.

Old 7th-October-2019, 10:48 AM   #10
Ironswede

Title: Nova Senior Member
Nova(s): 1972 Nova w/355
Hotchkis 1.5 lowered rear, 2" lowered front
17x7 wheels with 0 offset
Name:  IMG_4181 (1).jpg
Views: 203
Size:  109.4 KB

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 7th-October-2019, 03:09 PM   #11
Nova Thug

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramportin1 View Post
Is this the tool you're talking about? It's the only one I can find, but has horrid reviews lol about flexing under it's own weight and if you are needing exact tolerances dont even bother.

Ya, that does kinda look like a POS.. I suspect a couple pieces of angle iron, some vice grips, and a tape measure could get the job done for less money..
Old 7th-October-2019, 04:27 PM   #12
ramportin1
(OP)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironswede View Post

Hotchkis 1.5 lowered rear, 2" lowered front

17x7 wheels with 0 offset

Attachment 371499
Thanks man! That looks really good

Old 7th-October-2019, 05:01 PM   #13
Tarantula

Nova(s): 1974 "LS3" Nova Custom
I have both 17's up front and 18's in the rear.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Tarantula; 7th-October-2019 at 05:03 PM.
Old 7th-October-2019, 05:04 PM   #14
ramportin1
(OP)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarantula View Post
I have both 17's up front and 18's I the rear.

Thanks! Could you tell me ride heights? Looks like its dropped a lot more in the front maybe?

Old 7th-October-2019, 05:15 PM   #15
Tarantula

Nova(s): 1974 "LS3" Nova Custom
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramportin1 View Post
Thanks! Could you tell me ride heights? Looks like its dropped a lot more in the front maybe?

25.5" all around. I am using a 26.3" tire up front (215 55 R17) and a 27" in the rear (255 45 R18)

I have QA1 coil overs all around with the rear having a torque arm suspension setup.
Because of the natural height difference of the fender lips (front and rear), the car looks like it has a rake even though I'm using the same fender lip to ground measurement for all four corners. (I like the rake)

Even though the tires are different diameters, looking at the car you wont be able to notice it. Looks like all the tires are the same. I chose the tire sizes specifically for this purpose.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement