17-18" rim pics?? - Page 2 - Chevy Nova Forum
Visit our sponsor, National Nostalgic Nova

Steve's Nova Site is an automotive enthusiast website dedicated to the 1962 - 1979 Chevrolet Nova, Chevy II and Acadian automobiles. We work together to preserve, restore, drive, show, race and provide fellowship for these classic cars. This is one of the best places to find information about parts, rebuilding, restoration and racing. This website is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or Chevrolet in any capacity.

Go Back   Chevy Nova Forum > Non-Technical > 3rd Generation Chevy II/Nova's

StevesNovaSite.com is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 7th-October-2019, 05:29 PM   #16
ramportin1
(OP)

Title: Nova Junior Member
Garage
Thanks! I appreciate it. That really helps me out

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 9th-October-2019, 01:54 PM   #17
TheBandit

Title: Nova Senior Member
Nova(s): 1970
My car has 18x8 0offset (4.5in BS) and 18x9 0offset (5in BS) Rev 107 rally wheels with 235/40R18 and 255/40R18 Michelin Pilot Super Sports. I narrowed my rear end 1" per side, so it's the equivalent of having a 1in offset (6in backspacing) wheel on a stock width rear. I probably could have narrowed the rear only 3/4in and it would have worked out okay. Every car and tire is a little different, so you really need to do some checking if you want to maximize tire size. Otherwise I'd advise going to a smaller width and diameter wheel and tire (for example 18x7 with 225/40R18) which is more likely to clear.

My front has a C6 brake conversion which has a small influence on fitment. Keep in mind stock drums and stock discs have a different wheel mounting surface, so depending on what brake combination you have it can move the wheel in or out.

Suspension is the the equivalent of Hotchkiss 2" drop springs up front and Hotchkis 1.5" drop springs out back.

My front tires rub a bit at the back of the inner fender when turned sharply. My rears rub occasionally if the car is crossed-up diagonally across a rut/gutter/driveway.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 9th-October-2019, 03:09 PM   #18
ramportin1
(OP)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBandit View Post
My car has 18x8 0offset (4.5in BS) and 18x9 0offset (5in BS) Rev 107 rally wheels with 235/40R18 and 255/40R18 Michelin Pilot Super Sports. I narrowed my rear end 1" per side, so it's the equivalent of having a 1in offset (6in backspacing) wheel on a stock width rear. I probably could have narrowed the rear only 3/4in and it would have worked out okay. Every car and tire is a little different, so you really need to do some checking if you want to maximize tire size. Otherwise I'd advise going to a smaller width and diameter wheel and tire (for example 18x7 with 225/40R18) which is more likely to clear.

My front has a C6 brake conversion which has a small influence on fitment. Keep in mind stock drums and stock discs have a different wheel mounting surface, so depending on what brake combination you have it can move the wheel in or out.

Suspension is the the equivalent of Hotchkiss 2" drop springs up front and Hotchkis 1.5" drop springs out back.

My front tires rub a bit at the back of the inner fender when turned sharply. My rears rub occasionally if the car is crossed-up diagonally across a rut/gutter/driveway.

Wow. Really cool nova you got, love the look. Thanks for all the info and pics. In my head I had pictured 18's on a nova to look like huge donk rims, but they actually fit (appearance wise) the car very well imo. Really like your wheels on that car

Old 9th-October-2019, 05:14 PM   #19
Nova Thug

Title: Nova Guru
Nova(s): 63 SS, 64SS
Quote:

Beautiful stance..! Very tasteful execution..
Old 10th-October-2019, 12:16 PM   #20
74lsnova

Nova(s): 74 4.8 ls
Garage
Quote:

Great looking car. Well done.
Old 10th-October-2019, 12:34 PM   #21
74lsnova

Garage
Here's my 74. It sits on u111's from US mag. I'm running 18.9.5's with 275/40's in the rear and 18x8.5 with 225/40's up front. Hotchkis 3 inch spring front and rear with Hotchkis Fox shocks and Hotchkis sway bars. I'm also running AFX stock height spindles and Global west upper arms set @ 6dges positive caster and 1.5 negative camber. I narrowed the rear end approx 1 inch on each side and running Moser Grand national axles to accommodate the lack of "off the shelf" wheel backspacing. I had a bent axle and had to replace anyway so the axle mod was much cheaper than Forgeline type wheels (which I will upgrade to...someday) The car was a shell and needed EVERYTHING so the budget is really tight and needed to make that decision.
Up front I have zero rubbing but out back I had some rubbing when pulling into places at an angle and the rear end articulates beyond what it would under normal driving conditions. I have since "massaged" the rear inner wheel wells with a cutting wheel and a welder and they no longer rub. It didn't need mini tubs but some material needed to go which gave me enough clearance. It sits slightly lower today than in this pic. This was the first day the car was on the road and it has since settled a little. It's tucked in nice now in the front. I'm starting the bodywork soon.
Attached Images

Old 10th-October-2019, 01:03 PM   #22
ramportin1
(OP)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 74lsnova View Post
Here's my 74. It sits on u111's from US mag. I'm running 18.9.5's with 275/40's in the rear and 18x8.5 with 225/40's up front. Hotchkis 3 inch spring front and rear with Hotchkis Fox shocks and Hotchkis sway bars. I'm also running AFX stock height spindles and Global west upper arms set @ 6dges positive caster and 1.5 negative camber. I narrowed the rear end approx 1 inch on each side and running Moser Grand national axles to accommodate the lack of "off the shelf" wheel backspacing. I had a bent axle and had to replace anyway so the axle mod was much cheaper than Forgeline type wheels (which I will upgrade to...someday) The car was a shell and needed EVERYTHING so the budget is really tight and needed to make that decision.

Up front I have zero rubbing but out back I had some rubbing when pulling into places at an angle and the rear end articulates beyond what it would under normal driving conditions. I have since "massaged" the rear inner wheel wells with a cutting wheel and a welder and they no longer rub. It didn't need mini tubs but some material needed to go which gave me enough clearance. It sits slightly lower today than in this pic. This was the first day the car was on the road and it has since settled a little. It's tucked in nice now in the front. I'm starting the bodywork soon.
Thanks man! Love the stance of that and the style of wheels

Old 10th-October-2019, 01:06 PM   #23
ramportin1
(OP)

Garage
Thanks everyone who posted this has helped me out a lot. I can see now that both 17's and 18's look really good under these bodies!

Old 10th-October-2019, 03:06 PM   #24
74lsnova

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramportin1 View Post
Thanks man! Love the stance of that and the style of wheels

Thanks man!
Old 10th-October-2019, 07:25 PM   #25
Grumpythumb

Title: Nova Newbie
17X7 on front, 18X8 on back, Full Ridetech suspension, 2" drop front & rear
Attached Images

Old 10th-October-2019, 08:35 PM   #26
ramportin1
(OP)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpythumb View Post
That looks great!

Old 10th-October-2019, 08:38 PM   #27
ramportin1
(OP)

Garage
This place has so many novas

Old 10th-October-2019, 11:44 PM   #28
gotylergo

Title: Nova Newbie
Nova(s): 1972 nova SS
18X8 Front' 235x40x18 18X9.5 Rear's 275x40x18 2.5 Drop Rear 3'' Front
Attached Images

Old 11th-October-2019, 12:52 PM   #29
74lsnova

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpythumb View Post
I love the look of the big rally wheels. Car looks great!
Old 11th-October-2019, 02:29 PM   #30
TheBandit

Title: Nova Senior Member
Nova(s): 1970
Thanks for the kudos!

Grumpythumbs are your rally wheels steel? They look to be two piece. Mine are 1pc cast aluminum. I know Circle Racing makes 2 piece aluminum versions and Wheel Vintiques has them in 2pc steel.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement