Refurbishing ornamental louvers - Chevy Nova Forum
Visit our sponsor, National Nostalgic Nova

Steve's Nova Site is an automotive enthusiast website dedicated to the 1962 - 1979 Chevrolet Nova, Chevy II and Acadian automobiles. We work together to preserve, restore, drive, show, race and provide fellowship for these classic cars. This is one of the best places to find information about parts, rebuilding, restoration and racing. This website is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or Chevrolet in any capacity.

Go Back   Chevy Nova Forum > Non-Technical > 3rd Generation Chevy II/Nova's

StevesNovaSite.com is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 13th-April-2019, 12:22 AM   #1
Jmorr
(OP)

Title: Nova Newbie
Nova(s): I have a 1970 nova
Refurbishing ornamental louvers

The ornamental louvers for my nova are very faded. If I understand correctly the "fin" pieces are supposed to be flat black except all the outer edges of the fins are chrome. Does that sound right?

If so I'm thinking I'll spray them flat black, then sand the paint off the edges of the fins after drying.

How does that sound?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 13th-April-2019, 09:13 AM   #2
CEW

Title: Nova Senior Member
Nova(s): 70 Nova SS
Garage
They are painted body color and the rear edges are chrome. Mask the edges and paint them or wipe the edges with a rag dipped in lacquer thinner after spraying, don't sand the paint from the chrome after drying, that will scratch the chrome.
Old 13th-April-2019, 09:45 AM   #3
CdnL79 Registry

Title: Moderator
Nova(s): See my signature.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmorr View Post
The ornamental louvers for my nova are very faded. If I understand correctly the "fin" pieces are supposed to be flat black except all the outer edges of the fins are chrome. Does that sound right?

If so I'm thinking I'll spray them flat black, then sand the paint off the edges of the fins after drying.

How does that sound?
Are you referring to the simulated SS hood vents, or the side louvers on the front fenders?

Bob
70 Nova SS L78 sold

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by CdnL79 Registry; 13th-April-2019 at 10:04 AM.

Old 13th-April-2019, 12:52 PM   #4
Jmorr
(OP)

Yes, yes. The ones on the hood. Forgot all about the gills. Threw me off when CEW mentioned painting them the body color
Old 13th-April-2019, 02:46 PM   #5
CdnL79 Registry

Title: Moderator
Nova(s): See my signature.
Quote:
Yes, yes. The ones on the hood. Forgot all about the gills. Threw me off when CEW mentioned painting them the body color
I thought that's what you were referring to.

What's faded? The black paint? The chrome fins? Both? This could be a labor intensive job, because there are at least 20 closely spaced chrome fins on each vent. I'd try to clean the vents up before taking on a re-paint that involves sanding the chrome fins.

Bob
70 Nova SS L78 sold

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 13th-April-2019, 05:16 PM   #6
Jmorr
(OP)

The black is very faded. I can't think of a way to tape off the edges of the fins and still get the paint down the channels. Maybe instead of sanding I could use paint thinner cautiously on the edges after painting?
Old 13th-April-2019, 06:02 PM   #7
CEW

Title: Nova Senior Member
Nova(s): 70 Nova SS
Garage
Quote:
The black is very faded. I can't think of a way to tape off the edges of the fins and still get the paint down the channels. Maybe instead of sanding I could use paint thinner cautiously on the edges after painting?
Aahh, the hood vents, yeah those are very easy....clean with dish soap and scrub brush, dry thoroughly, spray everything with satin black or flat black, and either: wipe tops of fins while paint is still tacky with rag dampened with lacquer thinner - or - after paint dries, scrub the the fin tops with #0000 steel wool.

If you go the thinner/rag route, make sure the rag is not "loosely" rubbed across the fins as this will cause the rag to go between the fins. You want the rag to be tight around your fingers and just rub the tops of the fins and be sure to turn the rag often to keep using a "clean" section of the rag. After paint completely dries, you can follow up with #0000 steel wool to polish any residue from the fin tops.

Either method works well. I personally like the steel wool method on dry paint as the thinner method requires wrapping the damp rag around my fingers and I really don't care to have the thinner soaking in my skin.
Old 15th-April-2019, 07:45 AM   #8
Jmorr
(OP)

Nice! This sounds like a plan. I appreciate the input.
Old 15th-April-2019, 08:09 AM   #9
Redrider66SS

Title: Nova Guru
Nova(s): 1966 Nova SS 327 with 700
Garage
i dont know it this is an idea that will help you. my brother wanted some thin black strips on his truck capper. a local sign comp cut black strips the exact width he wanted. installed they look good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement