Chevy Nova Forum banner

2nd Generation('66 - '67) Wheel and Tire Fitment

210K views 223 replies 92 participants last post by  Ptbano 
#1 · (Edited)
I've started this section to make it easier for those that have questions about wheel and tire fitment and what others have used/done. Please post ONLY 2nd generation examples of wheel/tire fitment data along with whatever other suspension modifications or not that you have that may affect other members final numbers. Data should include wheel backspace, width of wheel, tire size, etc. Also, please include any pictures you may find that would be helpful. Explanations are great but, as they say, a picture is worth a thousand words!

Please keep any questions about setups in the main wheel and tire section. I'd like to keep the banter to a minimum and just host data and pictures to make it easier to navigate the thread. If you have a specific question about someones setup you see here I encourage you to PM them any pertinent questions you may have.

Thank You!

John

#45 ·
Charley see my previous post for size and picture of rear. It did take a while to get the project finished but that was power coating, doing the extras and all new exhaust pipe and flowmasters all the way behind the rear tire. Not really any complications. No Tub either. It is all in the backspace. Good luck and just take your time.

#55 ·
Will a 17x8 with 5.25 back spacing fit on front? I have big brakes, and cbr lowers and cpp uppers? I am pretty sure they will fit the rear, correct? Currently have 17x7 on front and 17x8 on back, 4.25 or 4.5 bs.

I bet it's gonna be really close to that upper ball joint. You better do some real good measuring before you buy wheels.

Charley

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#60 ·
I just ordered my cbr power rack front end from Chuck tonight he let me know the 2" drop spindles will work with 18" but I want mine low up front.
Think I could get 18" wheels like you but not as wide tires and go lower than yours or will all 18's rub? I've got 215/45/17"s on my 67 right now.

#61 ·
I'm not sure. Chuck might know better if he's saying 18s and the drop spindles will work.
I do know the key to it will be back space of the rim and your tire width.

Just need it to be tucked in so you can still turn. You may have to leave the coil spring cover off. I did.

Charley

#62 · (Edited)
I never liked the cover- it covers up the sexy shocks!
I bought Vikings for my 67.

You have some wide tires.
About how much does it rub?

I like these 18" bs turbines and the tire doesn't look too wide. I have a close up pic but tire size not present in the pic.

#69 ·
I am running a heidts superide up front and a 9 inch in back, stock width on rear end. What back space do I need if I run 17x8 on all four corners?

#72 ·
Yet another - hopefully simple

67 SS. Currently running stock 14 inches. I do have a disc kit upfront but the one that allows original rims to fit. I am looking a rims. I want to stay at 14". I am looking at number of rims that are 14 by 6 and 14 by 7

I was looking to go 14 by 6 with about 4" BS up front and 14 by 7 with 4" in the rear.

I have brand new tires I wanted to reuse. They are 215 70/14. After a lot of reading on here it seems these will work.

Looking for a sanity check before I order. Thank you

#74 ·
Has anybody ran a 9" rear rim on stock rear dimensions? By that I mean leaf spring location. I am currently running a 17x8 8" out back with 245/45/17's and seems like I still have some room. I used to run 255's before too. Just curious if anyone has done it.

Charley/Brian, I have a great deal of respect for your guys' cars and advice. I also want to go 18's up front as I really think they look killer. My goal is about performance and want to put some wide meat under the front end but I like my cars a little lower than yours is now Charley. If I stuck with say a 245 or 235, do you think I would have more clearance to go lower? I'm running 17x7's up front on 215/40's as of now.

Thanks,
Jonathan

#75 ·
Question for you guys, here is my setup: 66 4dr
-CPP mini subframe
-right stuff detailing front disc brake conversion with 2" drop spindles
-15x7 rally wheels 4.5 backspace, 215/65 front, 235/60 rear
-stock UCAs and 6 cylinder springs

My issue is the front tires rub really bad on the top and front of the fenders. Rear fit fine. It has not been aligned but I did play with the alignment to get it close. I put all these parts on at the same time and did a lot of research beforehand so that I would not run into these issues. I thought this setup would work but maybe I overlooked something. Any help?

#77 · (Edited)
I was wondering about the tire size but I got the mastercraft avenger gt's and they aren't available any smaller for a 15 inch wheel. And I can't get it aligned yet be it'd barely driveable it rubs so bad. I might look into just getting a different tire.

I don't know about the disc brake offset I will find out.

Edit: I got 205/60 tires for the front and it's better but still rubs. I think I'm going to get some 15x6 4-1/4 bs for the front. I think this should move the tire in 1/2" and that would be enough.

#78 ·
I've got a 66 SS with a Heidt's front end. I'm running 225/45/17's at all 4 corners.

I've never been a huge fan of a low profile type tire on a Musclecar. I'm thinking of going to a 15" with a more traditional fatter/taller rear tire to get a little old school rake.

I'd like to run a 15x7 4.5" backspacing wheel with 245/60/15's in the rear. Can I run this without rubbing isssues?

Also with disc up front, what size front wheel and tire would you guys recommend?

#80 ·
I really like the torque arm conversion, it is the final TCI project for the Nova. You will enjoy the ride it feels tuned and can take a beating. Remeasure the tire fit, I did that at least 10 times and you can get alot of tire underthere without tubing. Enjoy

#84 ·
XA and DA rally wheels

I am working on a 67 with the Delco Moraine 4 piston front disc brakes. I just wanted to mention that the Nova XA rallys will clear the 4 piston brakes. The DA rally is listed for the disc brake option. The only difference is the 3/8" additional back spacing.

Jerry in KY

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.