230 1 bbl rochester idling then falling on its face - Chevy Nova Forum
Visit our sponsor, National Nostalgic Nova

Steve's Nova Site is an automotive enthusiast website dedicated to the 1962 - 1979 Chevrolet Nova, Chevy II and Acadian automobiles. We work together to preserve, restore, drive, show, race and provide fellowship for these classic cars. This is one of the best places to find information about parts, rebuilding, restoration and racing. This website is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or Chevrolet in any capacity.

Go Back   Chevy Nova Forum > Body, Chassis and Mechanical > Drivetrain & Performance

StevesNovaSite.com is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 5th-November-2019, 08:40 PM   #1
400Series64
(OP)

Title: Nova Newbie
230 1 bbl rochester idling then falling on its face

1964 230 inline 6cyl 2 SPD PG 1 bbl Rochester, converted to HEI Distributor. Has been causing me some heartache latley.

A little back story when all was good, and it went down hill. nice late cool evening started up the nova and drove 6 miles in to town. while sitting at a traffic light I noticed I was a low on fuel. I pulled into a gas station and put 1/2 tank of gas in the car. left the gas station and got on a highway traveling 75mph for about 20 minutes. went through a drive thru and got right back on the highway headed back home car was running great at this point. ahead was a texas state trooper on the side of the road issuing a ticket to another car I slowed to 55mph and got over in the other lane giving the trooper as much room as possible, when I applied gas to accelerate back to 75mph the car instantly started sputtering so I pulled over in the first parking lot available and popped the hood. no smoking gun here externally everything looks fine. car is idling good but when I put it in drive and start going all is good until I try to give it the slightest amount of gas and it just sputters.

Things I've checked.

-removed the fuel line from the carb put it in a glass container and turned the engine over to pump fuel into container. let container sit with no water/fuel separation.

-removed fuel line from tank and drained all gas from fuel tank. No trash.

-blew down fuel line that runs from tank to front of car into a rag with air no trash here either.

-Rebuilt the Rochester 1bbl carburetor.

-Replaced the mechanical fuel pump.

-removed the valve cover and valve lash all looks good.

-checked timing new plugs, HEI distributor, and wires.

-run a separate fuel line to another fuel cell. no change in performance.

-bypassed vacuum lines (2) of them 1 goes to 2 speed PG, other goes to HEI Distributor. no changed there either.

-after each thing I changed on the car there was no difference still idles good but falls on its face if gas is applied.

I'm at a loss please if you have any ideas let me know how a car running like a top can just lose all power when gas is applied.??????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 7th-November-2019, 08:24 PM   #2
400Series64
(OP)

Title: Nova Newbie
bought a new ignition module today. hopefully get it installed tomorrow. I'll update the results.
Old 8th-November-2019, 10:14 AM   #3
AllyMcReal

Title: Moderator
Nova(s): 1962 convertible
What a pain. You rebuilt the carb after the initial problem or before?

Sounds like there is still some obstruction in a passage in the carb, like some dirt was pulled in and it isn't out yet. Are you running a fuel filter?

The only time I ever had a coil go bad on me was running an electronic ignition (pertronix) and it behaved much like you are describing. It could handle the load at idle, but at higher revs would cut out. But this sounds like a fuel delivery problem. Any cracks in the rubber tubing anywhere in the system?

Please post when you've found the problem.

Old 8th-November-2019, 01:23 PM   #4
Nova Thug

Title: Nova Guru
Nova(s): 63 SS, 64SS
Every once in a while my 194 does something similar to what you are describing. If it coughs or backfires it will push the breather line off of the valve cover and wonít run for sh**. I will run but really difficult to accelerate. Pull over put the breather line back in place and itís all good..
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement