Why the hate for Edelbrock - Chevy Nova Forum
Visit our sponsor, National Nostalgic Nova

Steve's Nova Site is an automotive enthusiast website dedicated to the 1962 - 1979 Chevrolet Nova, Chevy II and Acadian automobiles. We work together to preserve, restore, drive, show, race and provide fellowship for these classic cars. This is one of the best places to find information about parts, rebuilding, restoration and racing. This website is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or Chevrolet in any capacity.

Go Back   Chevy Nova Forum > Body, Chassis and Mechanical > Drivetrain & Performance

StevesNovaSite.com is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 8th-July-2019, 10:52 PM   #1
dunrite66
(OP)

Title: Nova Senior Member
Nova(s): 1970..
Finalising my 489 build and always wanted to run the edelbrock dual quads as a nostalgic look to the BB.. Builder doesn't like and this seems to be the norm with most builders. Go Victor Jnr and 950cfm carb. I have it already and will lose plenty money if i try sell. Why don't most builders like edelbrock carbs. I'm not out to make 900hp. Just tuff street car with a street roller camshaft.. Dual quads are 2x500cfm which i wanted to run as one. Not progressive... Never had an edelbrock carb so why the hate.Edelbrock been making and selling these carbs for long time so what's the problem. They are the new ..
Attached Images

Last edited by dunrite66; 8th-July-2019 at 10:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 9th-July-2019, 01:20 AM   #2
Maintain

Title: Nova Junior Member
Nova(s): 71 SS
Edelbrock makes fine products. Great heads,, and intake manifolds. I think a lot of people prefer Holly carbs. Not sure of the reason. Would have to do a,one on one comparison. Does,your,carb have sight Windows?
Old 9th-July-2019, 04:23 AM   #3
dunrite66
(OP)

They are a carter style carb been told.. No sight glass for levels.. From a little bit of research i have done they are adjusted differently to Holleys.Bought the setup mostly for looks but saw a 540 BB making over 720hp with them so figured they not so bad..

Last edited by dunrite66; 9th-July-2019 at 04:47 AM.

Old 9th-July-2019, 07:13 AM   #4
bracketchev70

Title: Nova Guru
Nova(s): 70 Nova (sold)
I would put it on. It is a neat setup. Its not a performance setup. The car would probably make more power with a single plane, but who cares.
Old 9th-July-2019, 07:42 AM   #5
Corbinstein

Nova(s): 73
Talking Edelbrock

From what I understand, Vic Edelbrock bought Carter and improved the product. I've got a set of both and the edelbrocks are easier tuned.

If the builder don't like your choice, go get an old a$$ Quadrajunk and tell him to use that. He'll run to the edelbrock.
Old 9th-July-2019, 08:51 AM   #6
Mike Goble

Nova(s): 67 wagon project
Looking at it from the builder's side, it's his name you will be saying when the questions are asked about your engine. I think he's trying to keep it easy to set up and maintain.
Old 9th-July-2019, 10:45 AM   #7
bracketchev70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Goble View Post
Looking at it from the builder's side, it's his name you will be saying when the questions are asked about your engine. I think he's trying to keep it easy to set up and maintain.
This is the down side to the industry. It didn't matter if the engine was only painted in our shop. When the pieces went home with the customer and was assembled in a dirt shed with a hammer and chisel and kicked a rod at the track, it instantly became our engine!!!!
Old 9th-July-2019, 12:25 PM   #8
jd128

Nova(s): 67 SS
I switched from an Edelbrock (actually an old carter AFB) because when my car sat for awhile I had to crank it a long time to get the gas back up to the carb. I don't have that problem with the Holley, the fuel bowls stay filled. I can leave the car in the garage for a month now and have no problem starting it up.

Also I am familiar with Holley tuning more than Edelbrock, after a carb rebuild I still had performance issues and didn't feel like learning how to fix it, plus I already have a big collection of jets and tuning parts for the Holleys. Just made sense for me to keep both cars in the Holley family.
67 Coupe - Sold
67 SS (<- Its right over there!)
Old 9th-July-2019, 12:48 PM   #9
xMLMx

Nova(s): 1969 Nova
I have a Holley 750 DP on my Nova, and my dad has an Edelbrock 650 on his '74 Monte with a mildly warmed over small block. After doing light tinkering with both for "tuning", it's kind of a mixed bag as to which is "better". The Holley carbs tend to have better fuel metering circuits and perform better flat-out for some reason, whereas the Edelbrocks seem to be better suited for maintained repeat cruising without any headaches. The whole deal with the fuel bowls running dry I have experienced though, kind of annoying when you have to crank your car a bunch after it sits for a week.

I will say this much: I know more people I can call on for Holley parts to tune than Edelbrock/AFB carbs. A handful of my friends have jet kits or spring kits if I need to borrow some; can't say the same for jet rods and the like. If your respective builder has all the parts and tools to tune with a Holley and is more familiar, I would probably trust his opinion. If you're going to do the tuning and you're comfortable spending the time and money on jets/parts, that's on you.
Old 9th-July-2019, 08:11 PM   #10
dunrite66
(OP)

No intentions to race so if a single carb made 30hp more than what i have i would never notice on the street. 685hp as opposed to 710hp at 6500rpm for a split second. If i didn't have it already not a problem but looking at another 2k for single carb... Yes i understand it's got his name on it... Way i look at it i have 2 full jet and needle kits. New. Once its tuned as good as can be don't think i need to play around again really.. I had quad webbers on an old engine and that i truly understand is a pain to setup and get right.Everything we buy down here is generally 60-70% more than USA coz of freight and taxes.

Last edited by dunrite66; 9th-July-2019 at 08:14 PM.
Old 9th-July-2019, 08:43 PM   #11
kcmocarguy

Nova(s): 1966 Nova SS
A guy in town had a '64 2 door sedan with a mild small block and dual quads with Edelbrock or Carter carbs. It ran good looked good. He just wanted something different.

'62 Chevy II LS1, 4L60E sold
Old 9th-July-2019, 09:27 PM   #12
Andrew starr

Quote:
Originally Posted by bracketchev70 View Post
This is the down side to the industry. It didn't matter if the engine was only painted in our shop. When the pieces went home with the customer and was assembled in a dirt shed with a hammer and chisel and kicked a rod at the track, it instantly became our engine!!!!
Ha-ha....yep!
Old 9th-July-2019, 09:48 PM   #13
71SS454

Nova(s): 71 Nova 427 72 Ventura
One big advantage to a Holley if fuel bowl size. And if stock Holley fuel bowls aren't big enough, you can make them bigger. With an Edelbrock you have what you have. Also Holley's seem to have more ways to meter the fuel more precisely. I used to run Edelbrocks on my street car with cast iron intake and warped 2 main bodies to the point they wouldn't run.

A single 4bbl will outrun that dual quad set up, but if it's just a street car I'd run it. With a 496 and the way Edelbrock carbs work, I think you would of been better off with 2 750cfm carbs. Those 500's might choke it down a bit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Good rock and roll music should corrupt the young, it should corrupt them enough to think for themselves.
Old 9th-July-2019, 10:36 PM   #14
dunrite66
(OP)

I have put them up for sale. Original engine was a hydraulic roller 454 making 500hp..So set up was intended for that. I have come this far and have always listened to what my bloke has to say. It's what he does 6 days a week.. So either they sell and i get some money back or they will look good on top of the cabinet in the spare room.... Now do you go an Edelbrock Victor or Weiand Track Warrior... Hahahaha.
Attached Images

Old 10th-July-2019, 06:48 AM   #15
bracketchev70

Out of the 2, I would go with the Edelbrock intake. I ran a super victor on my 540 and 565.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement