Help me get started please - Chevy Nova Forum
Visit our sponsor, National Nostalgic Nova

Steve's Nova Site is an automotive enthusiast website dedicated to the 1962 - 1979 Chevrolet Nova, Chevy II and Acadian automobiles. We work together to preserve, restore, drive, show, race and provide fellowship for these classic cars. This is one of the best places to find information about parts, rebuilding, restoration and racing. This website is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or Chevrolet in any capacity.

Go Back   Chevy Nova Forum > Non-Technical > 3rd Generation Chevy II/Nova's

StevesNovaSite.com is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 15th-January-2019, 12:25 PM   #1
Jmorr
(OP)

Title: Nova Junior Member
Nova(s): I have a 1970 nova
Help me get started please

I posted this in a different forum a few days ago and didn't get any replies, maybe it will get more visibility here.

I have just purchased a 1970 2 door nova. For now I'm not going crazy, just want to get her road worthy. She just came back from paint, runs, has no windows, no interior, no lights wired up.

I've decided my first tasks are to order/install weatherstripping, gaskets, rubber bumpers and then scrape the old insulation off the inner roof.

This is my first restore and aside from a few basic repairs (glancing constantly at the Haynes manual) on my Ranger I have no automotive knowledge so I'm learning as I go. Please take the "explain it like I'm five" approach if you explain anything.

Here are my questions:
-Is Window felt necessary? Is the purpose to keep dust out of the door's interior?

-How is weatherstripping attached? I see pictures in some catalogs of a little plastic piece protruding from the weatherstripping. Others just show a roll of rubber striping. If adhesive is always used does anyone have recommendations on a brand/type?

-Is the Rear bumper to body seal necessary? Will the bumper hit the body without this seal?

-Are rubber stoppers the same as rubber bumpers (for door, hood, trunk, etc)? I'm seeing a mix of terminology in the catalogs.

-Eckler's is the cheapest on many of these items. Does anyone have experience with them?

-What is the best way to get the insulation off the inner roof without damaging the metal underneath or the paint job on the opposite side?

I have a Fisher Body Manual on its way. I'm debating buying a nova Haynes manual because reviews say it isn't very model specific.

Thanks so much for any advice.

-J
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 15th-January-2019, 02:05 PM   #2
YENKO DEUCE REG

Title: Nova Guru
Nova(s): 1970 Yenko Deuce 1969 Super Sport
Welcome to the Nova addiction!

Just remember, at some time or another every one of us was at your current point on the learning curve - most of us loooong before the innerweb thingy!! So, don't be afraid to ask questions, that's precisely how we all learned.

I'll answer your questions in reverse order:

1. The residual insulation (fuzz) on the inside of the roof is fine to be left as is, I would not remove it - just brush off the loose stuff and proceed with the headliner install (put all screws in place before the headliner install!!!!). There is no rust between the fuzz and the underside of the roof panel, just glue

2. I've never bought from Eckler's, but can tell you that most all of the parts companies are selling the same repro items from the same suppliers. Some sites will list the actual supplier name (Ground Up Resto for example), and some guys have a preference for certain suppliers - AMD for sheet metal, and Trim Parts for emblems and door handles for example. But, for the most part the resto parts market has become a commodity business based on price competition. So, I've come to buy from the closest supplier (to limit shipping costs) who have the most frequent price / shipping special offers, and the easiest to use web site = Ground Up Resto (for me).

3. Generally, a stopper fits into a hole (think plug) while a bumper sits above. However, the term is frequently used interchangeably.

4. The rear bumper to body seal is really intended to redirect water runoff from the deck lid away from the rear tail light panel and into the space between the rear bumper panel and the rear bumper itself. The rear bumper will not contact the rear panel in any way if the seal is not installed, however it will look unfinished. Know that the factory actually stapled this seal to the attaching flange, which is a PITA to duplicate, but you don't have to do so - it can be screwed without any knowing because the attachment location is not visible once installed.

5. The door weatherstrips are attached two ways; small 'push in' plugs around the door itself (these plugs are preinstalled into the door weatherstrip) that are best installed with a dull screwdriver blade wrapped in duct tape, and squeezed into a channel around the door glass frame. No weatherstripping adhesive was used from the factory to my knowledge, although there are some areas where it might have been dabbed to ensure a complete seal. I think most repro door weatherstrip is mf'd by Metro, which has worked fine for me.

6. Yes, window felt is absolutely necessary - easy to install if/when the door glass is already out, and very inexpensive. Some parts suppliers call it 'run channel felt' and it is simply pressed into place. Start at the bottom of the door glass below the door handle and then make some angle cuts when you get to the upper corner, a pair of sharp wire cutters work best. Terminate the run channel where it meets the wing window, run a separate piece of run channel felt in the wing window channel if you wish, I typically do not replace that section because I've found that the door glass tends to pull it down when rolling down the window since the factory piece tends to fit a bit tighter.

My son and I literally just finished these exact tasks last weekend on his '69 Nova SS!! Whatever you do, keep asking questions!!!!
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 15th-January-2019, 02:18 PM   #3
Jmorr
(OP)

I sure do appreciate all that.

That's a gorgeous car.

Old 15th-January-2019, 03:37 PM   #4
Twinshadows

Nova(s): 1969 2-door,OFFY Holley,
-J

Look around for some Nova Vendors - some/most all will mail you out a catalog. Those 'catalogs' are very good for looking at/for your parts , and, shows you just what some strange parts Are CALLED.

Ecklers , Lutty's, Classic Industries catalog, H&H classic Parts (hhclassic.com), 62 - 74 Novas.
Classic Chevrolet Nova Parts 68-74 (ClassicParts.com) -- both good catalogs.
Then with your 'Fisher Body Manual' -----------
You need a "Factory Assembly Manual" for your year car -- that's the one with GM part numbers & How to's assembly book ( I bought two - one in th' house & one in th' shop.
Also, Check out "HeartBeatcity.com web site -- it's a Camaro Site .
HBC , also list the GM Factory Assembly Manual Part Numbers , for all their parts (and, says what cars : "Fits Camaro , Nova, Full Size Chey, ect ( or, Impala, ect). And, they (HBC) alway have a picture of their parts, so you see what you get . I have used / bought parts from HBC , they treated me good - right parts the 1st time ..... I even sent parts back ( was my fault , (ordered wrong parts , Me not them).

just FYI

Weather-strip-trim glue ... 3M type (comes in 'yellow or black' ) ... use/buy the Black (yellow REALLY shows up against the black weather strip rubber , black/black just looks cleaner). You may not need to use very much , but , good too have on hand. Look at the 3M Brand of
"Strip-Caulk" -- that does come in handy for some jobs.

Hope this helps .....

SIX-In - a - ROW MAKES -'em - GO
250 - w/OFFY Intake, Holley 390 - 4bbl, W/C T 5 - 3.08 Rear

Last edited by Twinshadows; 15th-January-2019 at 03:41 PM.
Old 15th-January-2019, 03:45 PM   #5
YENKO DEUCE REG

Thanks! Didn't start out too pretty, but that's what made it such an awesome Father/Son project over the last 16 years - a fraction of the progression pics.

Tell us more about yours.....
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 15th-January-2019, 07:26 PM   #6
CEW

Title: Nova Senior Member
Nova(s): 70 Nova SS
Garage
Quite the success story, Deuce!
Old 15th-January-2019, 11:47 PM   #7
Jmorr
(OP)

Thanks, guys/gals.

I bought my '70 right after the previous owner finished the body work, before he painted it. So there's zero interior, which is a little of my problem, I dont know what's missing because there's nothing there now.

He had just built the 350 and the muncie transmission.

I appreciate the recommendation on the Factory Assembly Manual, I hadn't heard of this.

I've got a handful of catalogs on their way.
Old 16th-January-2019, 02:00 AM   #8
xten57

Nova(s): 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmorr View Post
Thanks, guys/gals.

I bought my '70 right after the previous owner finished the body work, before he painted it. So there's zero interior, which is a little of my problem, I dont know what's missing because there's nothing there now.

He had just built the 350 and the muncie transmission.

I appreciate the recommendation on the Factory Assembly Manual, I hadn't heard of this.

I've got a handful of catalogs on their way.
I don't know if it would be helpful to you, but I have a chassis service manual and a chassis overhaul manual, both original GM publications, for a 1969. Not much changed in that respect for 1970. $25.00 (for both, not each) plus postage.
PM me if you're interested.

Gerry
Old 16th-January-2019, 04:10 AM   #9
Nova Thug

Nova(s): 63 SS, 64SS
The stuff on the interior roof is a pita. Mine was coming off in fragments as I drove the car. Not fun getting it in your eyes. I scraped it off with a putty knife and cleaned the metal surface with a wire wheel on a right angle grinder.
Itís easily one of the nastiest jobs Iíve done but.. I cleaned up all the metal surfaces with lacquer thinner and applied self adhesive sound deadening material. So much better..

https://www.stevesnovasite.com/forum...ight=Peel+seal

https://www.stevesnovasite.com/forum...Sound+deadener
Old 16th-January-2019, 01:14 PM   #10
Jmorr
(OP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova Thug View Post
The stuff on the interior roof is a pita. Mine was coming off in fragments as I drove the car. Not fun getting it in your eyes. I scraped it off with a putty knife and cleaned the metal surface with a wire wheel on a right angle grinder.
Itís easily one of the nastiest jobs Iíve done but.. I cleaned up all the metal surfaces with lacquer thinner and applied self adhesive sound deadening material. So much better..

https://www.stevesnovasite.com/forum...ight=Peel+seal

https://www.stevesnovasite.com/forum...Sound+deadener
That is a good point. I was all for just leaving it if it wasn't going to be a problem, but I didn't think about sound deadener. I found a good deadener called noico through another thread.
Old 16th-January-2019, 04:25 PM   #11
drm101

Nova(s): 1963 Nova SS
Garage
Also check out "Be Quiet". It's pretty reasonable.
Old 17th-January-2019, 09:45 AM   #12
rquad

Nova(s): 1974 Hatchback LS2
Garage
I humbly suggest you cruise through my build thread (link is in my signature). I go through complete disassembly and reassembly there of most of a Nova. I learned as I went, and made plenty of mistakes along the way. But, there's a ton of knowledge available if you're willing to search for what you need.
Old 17th-January-2019, 11:06 AM   #13
YENKO DEUCE REG

Quote:
Originally Posted by rquad View Post
I humbly suggest you cruise through my build thread (link is in my signature). I go through complete disassembly and reassembly there of most of a Nova. I learned as I went, and made plenty of mistakes along the way. But, there's a ton of knowledge available if you're willing to search for what you need.
Now I need a snow day so I can read your thread! My son (with the green SS Nova) has a 2001 Trans Am WS6 Ram Air for a daily, and I've become a little more acclimated to the LS platform - quite impressive, and now I'm thinking about a swap into a Nova.... Maybe I'll just live vicariously through yours!!
Old 18th-January-2019, 10:42 AM   #14
Jmorr
(OP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rquad View Post
I'll check that out.

Sadly the only thing I did a real in-depth search on so far was the bench to bucket conversion and never did seem to find a method anyone was really happy with.

I guess it's one of those things that's a pain in the butt whether you use a kit or not.
Old 18th-January-2019, 11:31 AM   #15
YENKO DEUCE REG

The seat tracks are the challenge.... they repro them now, but I've not yet heard if they are any good.

My son's '69 is a real bucket car, but I had to modify a pair of unknown tracks and then bought a single '68 bucket just for the tracks - and it still isn't right. One of the tracks is either too high or too low, we'll figure it out in the next 60 days - but just know that the tracks are the real PITA...

Note the 'gangsta lean' to the driver's side head rest...
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement