Help me get started please - Page 3 - Chevy Nova Forum
Visit our sponsor, National Nostalgic Nova

Steve's Nova Site is an automotive enthusiast website dedicated to the 1962 - 1979 Chevrolet Nova, Chevy II and Acadian automobiles. We work together to preserve, restore, drive, show, race and provide fellowship for these classic cars. This is one of the best places to find information about parts, rebuilding, restoration and racing. This website is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or Chevrolet in any capacity.

Go Back   Chevy Nova Forum > Non-Technical > 3rd Generation Chevy II/Nova's

StevesNovaSite.com is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11th-July-2019, 05:53 PM   #31
Jmorr
(OP)

Title: Nova Junior Member
Nova(s): I have a 1970 nova
I got the bumper filler panel reinforcement as straight and rust free as I could and painted it with rust converter then black spray paint.

I derusted and painted the grille brackets.

The previous owner came up with a '70 door. Now I get to move everything over and learn how to mount a door without scratching the paint... hopefully youtube can come to my rescue.

Painted the bowl shaped metal the headlight sits in (can't think of what it's called and can't find it on classic industries right now). Those look good.

Backwards - there is a chrome looking ring that goes around the headlights. Thought I'd be clever and spray paint them with the same silver paint I used on the bumper filler panel. Nope. Whatever material it is didn't like that one bit, the paint bubbled up and looks awful. I'll work on taking that off, but not sure what the next step is going to be as far as making them look good.

My plan was to spray the headlight bezels and then sand the edges of the fins to restore the chrome, but now I'm thinking I'll have the same problem as I did with the rings. Where the paint is chipped off I can see that the metal is very chrome, so I don't think the paint will stick.

Discovered that my hood lip chrome is missing a couple of stud clips. I don't think you can buy those on their own, so I may be buying a new one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 13th-July-2019, 02:31 PM   #32
Jmorr
(OP)

Serious build ADHD.

I decided to go ahead and jump into the truck weatherstrip. A couple things I learned:

Use more adhesive. I did a fairly small bead on my first run probably 1/8", you need more than that.

Smaller sections are better. I did the whole top section of the trunk first and that was way more than I should have done at a time. According to the 3m instructions you're supposed to put adhesive on both surfaces and let dry until tacky before joining them. 4' of adhesive'd weatherstrip leaves a lot of potential to get it everywhere. So next time I'll do maybe 1.5-2' sections at a time.

I inadvertently did something that I think helped. When the weatherstrip came in I put it in the channel without adhesive, just to check out the shape and fit. I left it like that for a couple weeks waiting to get back around to it. I think this kept the weatherstrip from twisting up as I was working on it.

The weatherstrip is an odd shape, be sure of which side you're applying adhesive to. One of the nova books says to put adhesive on the bottom of the channel and after installation come back and put adhesive on the outer wall of the channel. On one 2' section I didn't pay attention and put adhesive on the inner face of the weatherstrip thinking it was the bottom. Thankfully it was a tighter section of the channel so all sides will make contact and it won't burn me.

The upper corners are the only places I'm not thrilled about. I wish I had done just the corners by themselves. I did the corners and a good section of the trunk side all in one go. I think the corners need more attention to make sure you give them plenty of material because the weatherstrip is supposed to make contact with that outer wall and I don't think mine will. Doesn't look terrible, but I could've done better.

I kept seeing recommendations to use a Popsicle stick to spread the adhesive, I just put on rubber gloves and smeared it with my finger. It dries quick so you won't get it everywhere.

Much thanks to @Custom_Jim always helping out around here. I found this post and I helped me feel more confident about the task, especially joining the two ends.

https://www.stevesnovasite.com/forum...t=weatherstrip
Old 30th-July-2019, 12:39 PM   #33
Jmorr
(OP)

I'm working on replacing the shifter and rods now. Car came with a cheap generic shifter with a hurst handle. It broke before I even got the car home. I bought a real hurst shifter and rods. Guy that sold me the car kept on about how he'd gladly come help switch it out as soon as the new one came in. Yeah, he's surprisingly busy all of a sudden. So....I have no idea what I'm doing, but I'm doing it.

Finally pulled the trigger on an American Autowire full car harness. So expensive, but the feedback I get is that since I have zero car wiring experience the extra money for a well labeled kit will be worth it.

Old 15th-August-2019, 09:48 AM   #34
Jmorr
(OP)

Shifter and rods are in!

The stick wouldn't budge after installation, but I guess it just needed some jostling and spinning of the transmission.

Here's a great video on hurst shifters with Muncie transmissions.

https://youtu.be/yaQwPQTenMg

I've got to hook up an air line to see if my driver side air shock is bad or just deflated. Then it's on to the wiring harness - which I suspect will be the most intimidating thing I do with this car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement