starter needed - Chevy Nova Forum
Visit our sponsor, National Nostalgic Nova

Steve's Nova Site is an automotive enthusiast website dedicated to the 1962 - 1979 Chevrolet Nova, Chevy II and Acadian automobiles. We work together to preserve, restore, drive, show, race and provide fellowship for these classic cars. This is one of the best places to find information about parts, rebuilding, restoration and racing. This website is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or Chevrolet in any capacity.

Go Back   Chevy Nova Forum > Body, Chassis and Mechanical > Electrical

StevesNovaSite.com is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 10th-July-2019, 06:52 AM   #1
Redrider66SS
(OP)

Title: Nova Guru
Nova(s): 1966 Nova SS 327 with 700
Garage
starter needed

i went to a cruise in yesterday, an the starter wouldn't work when i got ready to leave. after trying all the usual tricks nothing. an when i say nothing, no click no slow turn no nothing just like its a dead battery. i did try a jumper pack and cables but nothing. then finally i hit the key one last time turned over an started. it also did this same thing a few weeks back at the end of a car show an since then its started maybe 50 times again. so my call is a weak solenoid. all the wiring is correct an plenty of power in the battery.
so i'd like some info on what starter to buy. i was looking at speedway motors an there dozens of starters. so what do i buy ? the motor is a 327, maybe 10-10 1/4 comp. with a 700r4 tranny and an unknown set of headers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10th-July-2019, 07:13 AM   #2
Redrider66SS
(OP)

Garage
after looking thru the dozens of starters this one looks to be a possible fix. has anyone used this starter, the reviews all seem positive, if you can believe them.
https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Power...vy,229562.html
Old 10th-July-2019, 09:09 AM   #3
RifRaf

Title: Nova Senior Member
Nova(s): 1974 Nova Custom
Garage
I don't have any information about the starter you were asking about... but with the way you described the intermittent non-starting issue, I would also suggest checking the ignition switch and neutral safety starting switch (if equipped) for proper engagement and operation.

Years ago I was at work when someone asked to use our phone to call a tow truck because their car wouldn't start. I asked them to describe the issue and they had the same exact problem as you. When the key was turned to start... no slow crank... no click... no nothing... just dead. I asked how the car had been starting recently and they replied that there were no issues.
Before calling for a tow truck I asked if I could look at the car. I turned on the headlights and hit the horn to confirm that the battery was not dead. The next thing I did was insert the ignition key, and move the shifter out of Park... and then firmly put the shifter back into Park. I turned he key and the car started right up. I explained to the owner how the neutral safety switch operates... and that sometime when people quickly put their shifters into Park, they do not fully engage the neutral safety starting switch - preventing their car from starting on the next attempt.

I have also experienced an ignition switch that was starting to go bad. When the key was turned to the Start position... nothing. But if I wiggled the key while holding it in the Start position, I could get the engine to start. The problem was an old ignition switch with worn contacts.

You may definitely need a new solenoid/starter... but it way be worth checking out some of the related items mentioned above.

Old 10th-July-2019, 10:55 AM   #4
Redrider66SS
(OP)

Garage
thanks for the answer rifraf. theres was a new ignition switch put in a year ago. also a 66 floor shifter was install a year ago with all new wiring ran to a new neutral saftey switch from shiftworks.com. i'm thinking more to the problem of the headers weren't friendly to the solenoid.
Old 10th-July-2019, 11:12 AM   #5
Gporter

Title: Nova Newbie
Starter issues

I agree that the switch should be checked and add that all ground wires be tightened and make sure the engine block is clean on the starter mounting surface a ground wire to the starter is also a good idea.
The starter you posted is good for small low compression motors, I noticed that it has a 6:1 gear reduction,this will slow the overall cranking speed down. Thehitachi style starter has a 3:75 ratio which provides more cranking speed.
Old 11th-July-2019, 12:33 AM   #6
Twinshadows

Nova(s): 1969 2-door,OFFY Holley,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrider66SS View Post
thanks for the answer rifraf. theres was a new ignition switch put in a year ago. also a 66 floor shifter was install a year ago with all new wiring ran to a new neutral saftey switch from shiftworks.com. i'm thinking more to the problem of the headers weren't friendly to the solenoid.
Look here : good reading, any way :

https://www.skipwhiteperformance.com...starters_7103/

and, I just had this problem , like two weeks ago. It was on Diana's truck - '06 GMC 2500 .. 6.0 (gas) ..... So, She comes in th' house & says her Battery is dead. It just clicks , and will not start. The next day, I go & check the battery -- Load Test , check Volts - all OK ....
So, I get her to help --- Get in and "Turn the key to Start Position" when, I say ........... at that time ........ I hit the starter with a hammer (it just clicks , like a dead battery). The truck starts right-up .... and, I order a new Starter from my local NAPA .... $ 247.++ , but, a new lifetime starter ......... I really feel alot 'Lighter' now.

I have bought some items from Skip White Performance before ..... and, they list them as New Starters ... no re-builts........ just FYI.

good luck, jim

ps ....... but ....... ( I'm going on Five Years on that 2 Year battery that's in her truck ....)

SIX-In - a - ROW MAKES -'em - GO
250 - w/OFFY Intake, Holley 390 - 4bbl, W/C T 5 - 3.08 Rear

Last edited by Twinshadows; 11th-July-2019 at 12:36 AM.
Old 11th-July-2019, 05:19 PM   #7
Redrider66SS
(OP)

Garage
well after 2 days of looking an checking grounds, no problem. a trickle charger on battery. ive restarted the motor like 10 times with no problems, but the engine was cold. the night it gave me problems it was still some what hot 160 on gauge. when i pulled into the garage i tried an hour later an still was like 165 on temp gauge an nothing no start. so i'm saying my problem is heat sink to the solenoid. so how to fix that, a wrap ?
Old 11th-July-2019, 07:58 PM   #8
65novaken

Nova(s): 65 ss
could be solenoid but im leaning towards brushes.
like mentioned earlier a few good taps with hammer on starter and it starts =brushes
Old 11th-July-2019, 09:21 PM   #9
RifRaf

Nova(s): 1974 Nova Custom
Garage
Quote:
so i'm saying my problem is heat sink to the solenoid. so how to fix that, a wrap ?
Installing a solenoid heat shield... or insulation wrap could help.
You can also install a remote (Ford) starter solenoid to act as a relay. Below is a post that discussed this same issue and provided a few suggestions.
https://www.stevesnovasite.com/forum...d.php?t=662373
Hope this info helps.
Old 14th-July-2019, 08:18 AM   #10
Redrider66SS
(OP)

Garage
i haven't been able to work much on this starter issue. but the plan is to install a heat protection wrap an see how that works out. i'll report back on what the final fix turns out to be. thanks to all on the fix-it tips.
Old 14th-July-2019, 08:41 AM   #11
heckster63

Nova(s): 63 hardtop
I had a hot start problem a few weeks ago. would just click when hot. I put a ford solenoid on. knock on wood its started up when hot since then. cost 30 bucks for everything.
Old 14th-July-2019, 10:32 AM   #12
nova66mussl

Nova(s): 66 H/T 66 Wagon 1933 Fo
I have a gear reduction mini starter on my 400 sb and have never had a problem.
Old 14th-July-2019, 10:33 AM   #13
nova66mussl

Nova(s): 66 H/T 66 Wagon 1933 Fo
Quote:
after looking thru the dozens of starters this one looks to be a possible fix. has anyone used this starter, the reviews all seem positive, if you can believe them.
https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Power...vy,229562.html
I don't have this exact starter but I'm sure this would fix your issue.
Old 14th-July-2019, 11:24 AM   #14
Redrider66SS
(OP)

Garage
nova66..... the starter you linked is the exact one i was looking at. there is 20 positive reviews.
i just went out on a 20 miles country drive. the starter fired right up when i left, engine cold. i came back an let it sit in the garage for 30 minutes, an no crank at all nothing dead. water temp only got to 180 on the drive an volt meter read 13.8-13.9. so monday to the shop for a suspension check-up an possible wheel alignment, starter to be changed out.
Old 14th-July-2019, 02:33 PM   #15
Twinshadows

Nova(s): 1969 2-door,OFFY Holley,
bummer ...

Even if you go - new - starter ...... I'd really think 'Ford soleniod' fix.

I think it's not that involved (NO - I don't have one -- I'm 250 - 6 motor).

but, if I were V-8 ... then I'd do it. Starters aren't getting any cheaper, and ... you don't want this too happen away from home (a trip : or just a local drive) ... think about ... lay-it-out ... you'll be happy.

just thinking out-loud .............. and, hot @ 160 : it can get much hotter ........ I'm just saying ........ jim

SIX-In - a - ROW MAKES -'em - GO
250 - w/OFFY Intake, Holley 390 - 4bbl, W/C T 5 - 3.08 Rear

Last edited by Twinshadows; 14th-July-2019 at 02:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement