63 Nova Brakes Entirely to Touchy..Any Ideas - Chevy Nova Forum
Visit our sponsor, National Nostalgic Nova

Steve's Nova Site is an automotive enthusiast website dedicated to the 1962 - 1979 Chevrolet Nova, Chevy II and Acadian automobiles. We work together to preserve, restore, drive, show, race and provide fellowship for these classic cars. This is one of the best places to find information about parts, rebuilding, restoration and racing. This website is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or Chevrolet in any capacity.

Go Back   Chevy Nova Forum > Body, Chassis and Mechanical > Steering, Suspension, and Chassis

StevesNovaSite.com is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 7th-July-2019, 01:11 PM   #1
Heavychevy55
(OP)

Title: Nova Newbie
Nova(s): 1963 Nova SS Conv 1969 N
63 Nova Brakes Entirely to Touchy..Any Ideas

I have a 63 Nova convertible SS with PS/PB standard shoe brakes and wheel cylinders have are new, New booster and master cylinder. I have just bought the car the brake work was performed prior. The brakes will throw you through the windshield if your don't go very easy on them!!!.It seems the front brakes are the strongest...the wife refuses to drive until I get the brakes fixed.

I have researched and found some postings about the pedal ratio being incorrect if using a retro fit brake booster mounted on the upper mounting wholes? This booster appears to mount almost level.

I have also came across one nova owner with this problem who put a valve in the vacuum line to limit the amount of boost in the diaphragm?

Any ideas or experience on this one?

Thanks
Heavy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 7th-July-2019, 02:22 PM   #2
AllyMcReal

Title: Moderator
Nova(s): 1962 convertible
Possible suggestions:

-brake hardware worn and springs aren't keeping shoes pulled toward center
-ridges on the backing plate pads where the shoes contact the backing plates
-improperly installed shoes: the shoe with the longer friction surface is installed toward the rearward position on the backing plate, the shorter one toward the front.
Old 8th-July-2019, 09:55 PM   #3
neils63ss

Hi did you take the drums off? Brake shoes may have grease on them. If the seals leak grease on the shoes becomes sticky.Out off spec drum could do it also, I own mine for 39 years and the last thing those brakes will be is touchy especially from to much vacuum. you did say factory brakes correct?
Old 11th-July-2019, 01:33 PM   #4
Heavychevy55
(OP)

Nova(s): 1963 Nova SS Conv 1969 N
Yeah checked the shoes everything looks normal no grease adjusted loose this time....we will see
Old 11th-July-2019, 03:44 PM   #5
neils63ss

I was thinking about part of your post the brake booster and master cylinder are they gm single chamber or aftermarket? It could be the length of the rod between the master and the booster could be to long and should be adjustable at least gm is hope that helps let me know
Old 11th-July-2019, 05:12 PM   #6
Nova Thug

Title: Nova Guru
Nova(s): 63 SS, 64SS
I would check that the push is rod connected to the peddle in the correct position. The upper position on the peddle is for manual brakes the lower position is for power assist brakes.. If the peddle is connected to the upper position it will make the peddle input really sensitive..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement