Why the hate for Edelbrock - Page 2 - Chevy Nova Forum
Visit our sponsor, National Nostalgic Nova

Steve's Nova Site is an automotive enthusiast website dedicated to the 1962 - 1979 Chevrolet Nova, Chevy II and Acadian automobiles. We work together to preserve, restore, drive, show, race and provide fellowship for these classic cars. This is one of the best places to find information about parts, rebuilding, restoration and racing. This website is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or Chevrolet in any capacity.

Go Back   Chevy Nova Forum > Body, Chassis and Mechanical > Drivetrain & Performance

StevesNovaSite.com is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 10th-July-2019, 09:06 PM   #16
dunrite66
(OP)

Title: Nova Senior Member
Nova(s): 1970..
Went with the Victor. Never had problem with fitment before so why change.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11th-July-2019, 04:33 PM   #17
kjolivier

Title: Nova Newbie
Your builder is wrong. He should be telling you to put EFI on. ;-)
Old 11th-July-2019, 07:57 PM   #18
Bob's 65 Post

Nova(s): 65 Post Street Rod
Garage
I've got the same 2x4 setup on my small block, and although I've not got much road time on it, I really like it's old school look. I've got it hooked up progressive, and not had one problem with it. I would tell the builder it's what I want, hook it up!

Old 12th-July-2019, 06:57 AM   #19
dunrite66
(OP)

I already own it and it would kill me to see it run fine on another
BB if it sells... I'm going to take a big hit if i sell it.. Would like to try it and see... Have been told that these Sniper and Fi tech EFI kits don't want to run on engines with low vacuum... I went down the path of dual quad Sniper but $3200 down here.. Stay old school with carb or carbs..
Old 12th-July-2019, 07:44 AM   #20
bracketchev70

Title: Nova Guru
Nova(s): 70 Nova (sold)
I still say if you want it then use it. I don't disagree, its a crappy intake design. A taller plenum intake will ALWAYS outpower a low intake and especially one that they are trying to cram 2 carburetors in a small area. So yes, a tall single plane, even with a spacer will make more power. that is a fact, but if you want the look and have the intake then put it on. I had a ported Super Victor with a 1" spacer and a Dale Cubic 1150 dominator on my 565, and I was told a tunnel ram with 2 carburetors would be worth 25-40 hp. But I ran a 4" cowl hood and didn't want a scoop so I never changed.
Old 12th-July-2019, 01:42 PM   #21
cdahl383

Nova(s): 1972 Nova
Garage
People tend to hate Edelbrock carbs because many have a bog or hestiation to them off idle or with part throttle to full throttle transition. Rather than attempt to tune this out, many just say they are junk or doorstops, yank it off and put a Holley on it and go on their merry way.

I've run Edelbrock carbs on my car for the past 20 years roughly. I've had no issues with them. They are very easy to work on, very easy to understand, and very easy to tune/rebuild.

They are not known for performance, and they are based on 60's tech, but they are simple and generally hassle free.

Most of the problems with Edelbrock carbs stem from the following:

1.) Too little initial ignition timing
2.) Too much fuel pressure
3.) Improper float level or float drop
4.) Improper adjustment of accelerator pump
5.) Too small of squirters
6.) Too weak of step up springs

Generally, just replacing whatever stock step up springs are in the carb with the strongest 8" silver springs cures any part throttle hesitation, and bumping up the initial timing and adjusting the accelerator pump fixes the off idle hesitation.

It's your car, you should put on there what you want. If you like the Edelbrock setup, go for it. I think it looks cool too.
Old 12th-July-2019, 06:18 PM   #22
dunrite66
(OP)

My reasoning to him is i drive it on the street.. Will see 1500-3500rpm type of driving. Maybe the odd squirt where possible. Two 500cfm carbs makes 1000cfm. Correct me if I'm wrong... They should have more fuel capacity as the 2 bowls in a 950cfm Holley... Obviously 50cfm more... So why would it run out of fuel if jetted correctly etc. . A friend put rpm airgap on his sb stroker motor and was told it will run out of steam but it still made over 600hp at 7200rpm... He builds race engines and i understand word gets around that a 489 he built didn't make over 700hp. Not everyone wants that or NEEDS that. Will visit him next week and stand my ground. It may surprise him ...
Old 13th-July-2019, 01:48 PM   #23
brickyardboy

Title: Moderator
Nova(s): 1969 2 dr
They may be old technology, but, I don't care what anyone says, you have to agree that they look "old-school" handsome as hell!
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 13th-July-2019, 04:48 PM   #24
71SS454

Nova(s): 71 Nova 427 72 Ventura
The Holleys have more fuel capacity capability. As the the extra 50cfm of carb airflow, that's only somewhat important. The carbs will only flow as much as the intake can, which will only flow as much as the heads can. The running out of steam isn't so much the carbs as it is the intake. That dual quad low rise intake just cannot keep with the airflow needs like a big single plane, or even a big dual plane like Brodix makes. Plus to make that low rise dual quad, the runners have to be short. Short runners are bad for torque and good for top end power, but the intake doesnt make top end power because it has a small plenum volume. If you just have a cruiser and want the look, it's a great set up for that. If you want a big power number it's on the bottom of the list.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Good rock and roll music should corrupt the young, it should corrupt them enough to think for themselves.
Old 13th-July-2019, 09:24 PM   #25
dunrite66
(OP)

Bottom line i think that most of these new / old school builders just can't be bothered... He did a six pack on a 427 60's vette and i recall him moaning and groaning about getting it going. Customer had plenty of money and was happy to pay whatever cost was to get them going. He was adamant to put a single carb on that engine... Some of us still want that look at the sacrifice of some hp.. Build me an engine combo to make what i have work. Simple. If it doesn't make 700 plus hp no big deal..
Old 13th-July-2019, 10:17 PM   #26
Jim383

Nova(s): 63 Sport Coupe
Later Edelbrock carbs have annular discharge booster venturies that are supposed to improve things. Is your dual quad set up progressive? ie does it run on one carb if your foot isn't in it?
Old 13th-July-2019, 11:22 PM   #27
dunrite66
(OP)

Was going to lock it up so they run as one... That way have plenty fuel running to rear cylinders as i heard this setup ran a bit lean on rear cylinders..Even purchased a pair of those Thompson power plates to test on the dyno for before and after.. Those new avs thunders came out after i bought mine. They wouldn't let me return them to swap because was over 6 months. Long story behind this engine.
Old 13th-July-2019, 11:26 PM   #28
6D7 Nova

Nova(s): 1967 Sport Coupe
Garage
Running an Edelbrock Performer 600 CFM, my little small block loves it!

Gary
Old 15th-July-2019, 10:58 AM   #29
67L30WGN

Nova(s): 64 Nova 400 post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdahl383 View Post
People tend to hate Edelbrock carbs because many have a bog or hestiation to them off idle or with part throttle to full throttle transition. Rather than attempt to tune this out, many just say they are junk or doorstops, yank it off and put a Holley on it and go on their merry way.

I've run Edelbrock carbs on my car for the past 20 years roughly. I've had no issues with them. They are very easy to work on, very easy to understand, and very easy to tune/rebuild.

They are not known for performance, and they are based on 60's tech, but they are simple and generally hassle free.

Most of the problems with Edelbrock carbs stem from the following:

1.) Too little initial ignition timing
2.) Too much fuel pressure
3.) Improper float level or float drop
4.) Improper adjustment of accelerator pump
5.) Too small of squirters
6.) Too weak of step up springs

Generally, just replacing whatever stock step up springs are in the carb with the strongest 8" silver springs cures any part throttle hesitation, and bumping up the initial timing and adjusting the accelerator pump fixes the off idle hesitation.

It's your car, you should put on there what you want. If you like the Edelbrock setup, go for it. I think it looks cool too.
I've been running a 600 cfm Edelbrock on my '72 Chevy truck with 350/TH350 without any issues for 11 years. The truck starts every time with just the tap of the key and runs like a sewing machine. At first it took me a little time to figure out how to dial in the Edelbrock, but in the end, it wasn't a big deal and it wasn't hard. What I found most important for running an Edelbrock is making sure the fuel pressure is set as per Edelbrock's recommendation. Once I installed a fuel pressure regulator and dialed down the pressure, everything fell into place.
Old 15th-July-2019, 09:49 PM   #30
Davejordan

Replaced Edelbrock 1406 7450 with a Holly 4150 on my 1966 SS 327. Picked up 20hp at the rear wheels and runs smooth right up to 5,600 RPMs. Fuel/air ratio a straight line all the way. I won’t go back to Edelbrock.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement