Thin roof metal opinion! - Chevy Nova Forum
Visit our sponsor, National Nostalgic Nova

Steve's Nova Site is an automotive enthusiast website dedicated to the 1962 - 1979 Chevrolet Nova, Chevy II and Acadian automobiles. We work together to preserve, restore, drive, show, race and provide fellowship for these classic cars. This is one of the best places to find information about parts, rebuilding, restoration and racing. This website is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or Chevrolet in any capacity.

Go Back   Chevy Nova Forum > Body, Chassis and Mechanical > Body and Interior

StevesNovaSite.com is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11th-May-2019, 09:01 AM   #1
riverboatman
(OP)

Title: Nova Guru
Nova(s): 1965 Nova SS
Arrow Thin roof metal opinion!

As a lot of you know by now a supposed dustless paint remover ended up sand blasting my whole car. The body shop has done wonders getting it back straight from all the wrinkles the sand blasting did but there is another thing that we are looking at. The roof was blasted from the interior and the top side so the roof metal is very thin now. You can take your finger and push the metal in at just about any point on the roof.

The body guy says there is some kind of plastic that can be applied to the interior side to stiffen the metal but didn't go into any detail about what it is or how it is applied except that it is glued on.

Does anyone have any info as to what he is talking about and where I can go look to see just how effective it really is? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11th-May-2019, 09:32 AM   #2
Pragmatist

Garage
I can't say I know what your guy is referring to but bedliner would probably work as well as anything. I used it throughout my build and the underside of the fenders is just one place where I saw additional strength.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 11th-May-2019, 11:15 AM   #3
J Mark

Nova(s): 1972 383
Garage
Maybe try fiberglass and resin? Probably harder to do inside the roof.

Mark

80-92

Old 11th-May-2019, 12:24 PM   #4
Bob's 65 Post

Title: Nova Newbie
Nova(s): 65 Post Street Rod
Garage
Thin roof

This is going to sound really odd, but I think worth looking into. It's spray foam insulation, closed cell. They spray it in homes. You can spray it any thickness you want, and when it dries its hard as a rock. I had it sprayed in my home. It resists moisture too. The guy that sprayed it in my house showed me how tough it was by spraying 1/2" of it plastic leftover from batt insulation. I couldn't hardly break it. It's super rigid. If this would work you'd also gain sound deadening and thermal insulation.
You can buy the kit for a small area like that and spray it yourself, or go to a reputable spray foam contractor and you can see it for yourself. It's an option. Good luck to you!
Old 11th-May-2019, 01:06 PM   #5
TheGrinch727

Nova(s): 66 Hard top
J Mark maybe on to something...

Carbon fiber/epoxy has been used successfully for structural elements in the marine industry, automotive and even building construction! maybe hit up a composite professional in your area for advise...

If your sled is on a rotisserie, it wouldn't be too difficult...
Old 12th-May-2019, 08:24 AM   #6
zvillejw

Title: Nova Junior Member
Nova(s): 66 hardtop
You could also spray it with Lizard Skin as a sound deadener and insulation. Thats what I did and it took all the tinny sound out of it
Old 12th-May-2019, 02:00 PM   #7
Twinshadows

Nova(s): 1969 2-door,OFFY Holley,
Ok ..... my 2cents ..... (only worth -- nothing) ...

I'd go with the "truck bed Lining" ... can be sprayed on thick and dries hard. And should not interfer with doing your headliner

Then, I'd also say --- for your application --- DON'T
DO the spray FOAM ... Why?
Because , most spray foam type stuff expands by HEAT.
It may get hot on your 'already thin sheet metal' ........... not a
good idea ...

Sam, I just thinking 'out loud' ... and you can picture what heat will do on your roof.

(I'd even do a test panel before doing your roof .. to see IF the bed liner gets hot ... then go from there).

SIX-In - a - ROW MAKES -'em - GO
250 - w/OFFY Intake, Holley 390 - 4bbl, W/C T 5 - 3.08 Rear
Old 12th-May-2019, 04:09 PM   #8
NCDEERE

Title: Nova Senior Member
Nova(s): 1978 Custom
Line-X goes off at about 160 degrees when it cures.
Old 12th-May-2019, 07:09 PM   #9
bop30860

Nova(s): 63 & 64 HT's
X2 on the Lizard skin, that is what I did on my roof interior.
Old 13th-May-2019, 09:25 AM   #10
Zonie

Nova(s): 67 ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by riverboatman View Post
As a lot of you know by now a supposed dustless paint remover ended up sand blasting my whole car. The body shop has done wonders getting it back straight from all the wrinkles the sand blasting did but there is another thing that we are looking at. The roof was blasted from the interior and the top side so the roof metal is very thin now. You can take your finger and push the metal in at just about any point on the roof.

The body guy says there is some kind of plastic that can be applied to the interior side to stiffen the metal but didn't go into any detail about what it is or how it is applied except that it is glued on.

Does anyone have any info as to what he is talking about and where I can go look to see just how effective it really is? Thanks.
The roof is pretty flimsy, you can generally push it in with your finger anyway, I would compare it to another car first
Old 13th-May-2019, 10:31 AM   #11
itslow

Nova(s): '66 LSx/TKO Project
If your roof skin is really as thin as you're making it seem, I would cut it off and replace it with one from another vehicle..
Old 13th-May-2019, 11:57 AM   #12
xten57

Nova(s): 69
I stumbled across this process a while back.

https://metallisation.com/applicatio...s-body-panels/

http://www.precisioncoatings.com/what-is-thermal-spray/

I've never used it, but it might help in your situation. I know that in your case you're looking for a way to restore the structural strength of the roof panel, and not fill holes, as described in the example here. I first read about this process on another site where the shop used an example of a 1930's vehicle restoration in which the roof looked like Swiss cheese. They used the metal spray process to fill the holes, AND rebuild the thickness of the whole roof panel. Unfortunately, I can't find the link to that site. But I'm sure that with a little investigation you should be able to determine whether this process is a viable solution for you.

I hope this helps,

Gerry
Old 14th-May-2019, 08:53 AM   #13
riverboatman
(OP)

Nova(s): 1965 Nova SS
All the suggestions seem to be viable for what I need done. I'm going to get back with the body guy and get some direct answers about what he is planning to do to rebuild strength in the roof.

I seriously thought about replacing the roof but couldn't find one that was good enough to bother. I went and looked at five different cars but they were all rust buckets and not worth the trouble. Humidity and rust are a real killer in South Georgia. Back in the mid 70's there was a big push to clean up old junk yards and junk cars across middle Georgia. Scrap metal was going for a good price and the vast majority of old cars disappeared. As a results, Novas are almost impossible to find so we gave up and went with trying to fix the roof I have.

That spray on metal system looks like it would be a great thing to have but for a small body shop the amount of use would probably not allow such expensive equipment. I'll pass on the link to my body guy though.

I'm not giving up as this car is part of the family now but I'm still at the mercy of the body shop to get her back on the road. Bed liner or Lizard skin sounds like it might be something if it will not come loose from the roof. The drawback is that the roof on the inside has now been primed since the blasting took it down to metal. It had to be sealed. I'm wondering if something like BL and LS would adhere to the primer enough to not peel?
Old 14th-May-2019, 11:18 AM   #14
lewie415

Title: Nova Junior Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by riverboatman View Post
All the suggestions seem to be viable for what I need done. I'm going to get back with the body guy and get some direct answers about what he is planning to do to rebuild strength in the roof.

I seriously thought about replacing the roof but couldn't find one that was good enough to bother. I went and looked at five different cars but they were all rust buckets and not worth the trouble. Humidity and rust are a real killer in South Georgia. Back in the mid 70's there was a big push to clean up old junk yards and junk cars across middle Georgia. Scrap metal was going for a good price and the vast majority of old cars disappeared. As a results, Novas are almost impossible to find so we gave up and went with trying to fix the roof I have.

That spray on metal system looks like it would be a great thing to have but for a small body shop the amount of use would probably not allow such expensive equipment. I'll pass on the link to my body guy though.

I'm not giving up as this car is part of the family now but I'm still at the mercy of the body shop to get her back on the road. Bed liner or Lizard skin sounds like it might be something if it will not come loose from the roof. The drawback is that the roof on the inside has now been primed since the blasting took it down to metal. It had to be sealed. I'm wondering if something like BL and LS would adhere to the primer enough to not peel?
I have used the Lizard skin thermal insulation and this should do the trick that you are looking for. Its also supposed to be applied over primed, or epoxy metal. So all that has to be done is a scuff/sanding of the primer and it will stick like crazy. I had an accident when i was applying the product, and i managed to get it all of my walls in my shop. Let me tell you, it sticks to everything. I had plastic, cardboard, wood, concrete, counter top, metal, my clothes and everything else one would have in a garage covered with this stuff. It stuck to un-sanded hard toy plastic.

If you put the Sound insulation down first, and then come with the thermal over it, this will should give you more strength. Bed liner or lizard skin are probably going to be the best cost effective ways to go.

Joe's Garage and projects :Youtube
Old 14th-May-2019, 10:47 PM   #15
J Mark

Nova(s): 1972 383
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewie415 View Post
I have used the Lizard skin thermal insulation and this should do the trick that you are looking for. Its also supposed to be applied over primed, or epoxy metal. So all that has to be done is a scuff/sanding of the primer and it will stick like crazy. I had an accident when i was applying the product, and i managed to get it all of my walls in my shop. Let me tell you, it sticks to everything. I had plastic, cardboard, wood, concrete, counter top, metal, my clothes and everything else one would have in a garage covered with this stuff. It stuck to un-sanded hard toy plastic.

If you put the Sound insulation down first, and then come with the thermal over it, this will should give you more strength. Bed liner or lizard skin are probably going to be the best cost effective ways to go.
Does POR-15 count as an acceptable surface for Lizard Skin if scuffed. When I pulled the old factory padding out I became pretty concerned. No way was I taking any sanders to that surface. It had to be pitted at least half the thickness of the roof. Quick cleaning with a scuff pad then POR-15. Those factory pads are like sponges holding condensation in against the roof.

Mark

80-92
Sponsored Links
Advertisement