Thin roof metal opinion! - Chevy Nova Forum
Visit our sponsor, National Nostalgic Nova
 
Steve's Nova Site is an automotive enthusiast website dedicated to the 1962 - 1979 Chevrolet Nova, Chevy II and Acadian automobiles. We work together to preserve, restore, drive, show, race and provide fellowship for these classic cars. This is one of the best places to find information about parts, rebuilding, restoration and racing. This website is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or Chevrolet in any capacity.

Go Back   Chevy Nova Forum > Body, Chassis and Mechanical > Body and Interior


StevesNovaSite.com is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th-May-2019, 09:01 AM   #1
riverboatman
(OP)
 
riverboatman's Avatar

Title: Nova Guru
iTrader: (10)
Status: Offline
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Helena, GA
Nova(s): 1965 Nova SS
Posts: 1,189
Arrow Thin roof metal opinion!

As a lot of you know by now a supposed dustless paint remover ended up sand blasting my whole car. The body shop has done wonders getting it back straight from all the wrinkles the sand blasting did but there is another thing that we are looking at. The roof was blasted from the interior and the top side so the roof metal is very thin now. You can take your finger and push the metal in at just about any point on the roof.

The body guy says there is some kind of plastic that can be applied to the interior side to stiffen the metal but didn't go into any detail about what it is or how it is applied except that it is glued on.

Does anyone have any info as to what he is talking about and where I can go look to see just how effective it really is? Thanks.
  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11th-May-2019, 09:32 AM   #2
Pragmatist
 
Pragmatist's Avatar

Title: Nova Guru
iTrader: (5)
Status: Offline
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: NE Florida
Posts: 3,660
Garage
I can't say I know what your guy is referring to but bedliner would probably work as well as anything. I used it throughout my build and the underside of the fenders is just one place where I saw additional strength.
__________________
67 hard top,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 1980 avatar pic.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.




To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11th-May-2019, 11:15 AM   #3
J Mark
 
J Mark's Avatar

Title: Nova Guru
iTrader: (0)
Status: Offline
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Woodbridge, CA
Nova(s): 1972 383
Posts: 856
Garage
Maybe try fiberglass and resin? Probably harder to do inside the roof.
__________________
Current Build
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Mark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

80-92
  Reply With Quote
 
Old 11th-May-2019, 12:24 PM   #4
Bob's 65 Post
 
Bob's 65 Post's Avatar

Title: Nova Newbie
iTrader: (0)
Status: Offline
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Kansas
Nova(s): 65 Post Street Rod
Posts: 30
Garage
Thin roof

This is going to sound really odd, but I think worth looking into. It's spray foam insulation, closed cell. They spray it in homes. You can spray it any thickness you want, and when it dries its hard as a rock. I had it sprayed in my home. It resists moisture too. The guy that sprayed it in my house showed me how tough it was by spraying 1/2" of it plastic leftover from batt insulation. I couldn't hardly break it. It's super rigid. If this would work you'd also gain sound deadening and thermal insulation.
You can buy the kit for a small area like that and spray it yourself, or go to a reputable spray foam contractor and you can see it for yourself. It's an option. Good luck to you!
  Reply With Quote
Old 11th-May-2019, 01:06 PM   #5
TheGrinch727

Title: Nova Newbie
iTrader: (0)
Status: Offline
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Waste Coast FL
Nova(s): 66 Hard top
Posts: 17
J Mark maybe on to something...

Carbon fiber/epoxy has been used successfully for structural elements in the marine industry, automotive and even building construction! maybe hit up a composite professional in your area for advise...

If your sled is on a rotisserie, it wouldn't be too difficult...
  Reply With Quote
Old 12th-May-2019, 08:24 AM   #6
zvillejw

Title: Nova Junior Member
iTrader: (0)
Status: Offline
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: z-ville ohio
Nova(s): 66 hardtop
Posts: 76
You could also spray it with Lizard Skin as a sound deadener and insulation. Thats what I did and it took all the tinny sound out of it
  Reply With Quote
Old 12th-May-2019, 02:00 PM   #7
Twinshadows
 
Twinshadows's Avatar

Title: Nova Guru
iTrader: (4)
Status: Offline
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chino Valley AZ
Nova(s): 1969 2-door,OFFY Holley,
Posts: 3,282
Ok ..... my 2cents ..... (only worth -- nothing) ...

I'd go with the "truck bed Lining" ... can be sprayed on thick and dries hard. And should not interfer with doing your headliner

Then, I'd also say --- for your application --- DON'T
DO the spray FOAM ... Why?
Because , most spray foam type stuff expands by HEAT.
It may get hot on your 'already thin sheet metal' ........... not a
good idea ...


Sam, I just thinking 'out loud' ... and you can picture what heat will do on your roof.

(I'd even do a test panel before doing your roof .. to see IF the bed liner gets hot ... then go from there).
__________________
jim

SIX-In - a - ROW MAKES -'em - GO
250 - w/OFFY Intake, Holley 390 - 4bbl, W/C T 5 - 3.08 Rear
  Reply With Quote
Old 12th-May-2019, 04:09 PM   #8
NCDEERE
 
NCDEERE's Avatar

Title: Nova Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
Status: Offline
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Chocowinity, NC
Nova(s): 1978 Custom
Posts: 422
Line-X goes off at about 160 degrees when it cures.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12th-May-2019, 07:09 PM   #9
bop30860

Title: Nova Newbie
iTrader: (0)
Status: Offline
Join Date: May 2017
Location: NW FL
Nova(s): 63 & 64 HT's
Posts: 43
X2 on the Lizard skin, that is what I did on my roof interior.
  Reply With Quote
Old 13th-May-2019, 09:25 AM   #10
Zonie
 
Zonie's Avatar

Title: Nova Guru
iTrader: (0)
Status: Offline
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: phoenix
Nova(s): 67 ss
Posts: 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by riverboatman View Post
As a lot of you know by now a supposed dustless paint remover ended up sand blasting my whole car. The body shop has done wonders getting it back straight from all the wrinkles the sand blasting did but there is another thing that we are looking at. The roof was blasted from the interior and the top side so the roof metal is very thin now. You can take your finger and push the metal in at just about any point on the roof.

The body guy says there is some kind of plastic that can be applied to the interior side to stiffen the metal but didn't go into any detail about what it is or how it is applied except that it is glued on.

Does anyone have any info as to what he is talking about and where I can go look to see just how effective it really is? Thanks.
The roof is pretty flimsy, you can generally push it in with your finger anyway, I would compare it to another car first
  Reply With Quote
Old 13th-May-2019, 10:31 AM   #11
itslow

Title: Nova Guru
iTrader: (0)
Status: Offline
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Central Iowa
Nova(s): '66 LSx/TKO Project
Posts: 1,047
If your roof skin is really as thin as you're making it seem, I would cut it off and replace it with one from another vehicle..
__________________
Mike
'66 Hardtop - LSx/TKO swap in perpetual process
'67 SS - Pro-street & forever in pieces
  Reply With Quote
Old 13th-May-2019, 11:57 AM   #12
xten57
 
xten57's Avatar

Title: Nova Guru
iTrader: (11)
Status: Offline
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Palmdale, CA
Nova(s): 69
Posts: 1,600
I stumbled across this process a while back.

https://metallisation.com/applicatio...s-body-panels/

http://www.precisioncoatings.com/what-is-thermal-spray/

I've never used it, but it might help in your situation. I know that in your case you're looking for a way to restore the structural strength of the roof panel, and not fill holes, as described in the example here. I first read about this process on another site where the shop used an example of a 1930's vehicle restoration in which the roof looked like Swiss cheese. They used the metal spray process to fill the holes, AND rebuild the thickness of the whole roof panel. Unfortunately, I can't find the link to that site. But I'm sure that with a little investigation you should be able to determine whether this process is a viable solution for you.

I hope this helps,

Gerry
  Reply With Quote
Old 14th-May-2019, 08:53 AM   #13
riverboatman
(OP)
 
riverboatman's Avatar

Title: Nova Guru
iTrader: (10)
Status: Offline
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Helena, GA
Nova(s): 1965 Nova SS
Posts: 1,189
All the suggestions seem to be viable for what I need done. I'm going to get back with the body guy and get some direct answers about what he is planning to do to rebuild strength in the roof.

I seriously thought about replacing the roof but couldn't find one that was good enough to bother. I went and looked at five different cars but they were all rust buckets and not worth the trouble. Humidity and rust are a real killer in South Georgia. Back in the mid 70's there was a big push to clean up old junk yards and junk cars across middle Georgia. Scrap metal was going for a good price and the vast majority of old cars disappeared. As a results, Novas are almost impossible to find so we gave up and went with trying to fix the roof I have.

That spray on metal system looks like it would be a great thing to have but for a small body shop the amount of use would probably not allow such expensive equipment. I'll pass on the link to my body guy though.

I'm not giving up as this car is part of the family now but I'm still at the mercy of the body shop to get her back on the road. Bed liner or Lizard skin sounds like it might be something if it will not come loose from the roof. The drawback is that the roof on the inside has now been primed since the blasting took it down to metal. It had to be sealed. I'm wondering if something like BL and LS would adhere to the primer enough to not peel?
  Reply With Quote
Old 14th-May-2019, 11:18 AM   #14
lewie415

Title: Nova Junior Member
iTrader: (1)
Status: Online
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Green Bay WI
Posts: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by riverboatman View Post
All the suggestions seem to be viable for what I need done. I'm going to get back with the body guy and get some direct answers about what he is planning to do to rebuild strength in the roof.

I seriously thought about replacing the roof but couldn't find one that was good enough to bother. I went and looked at five different cars but they were all rust buckets and not worth the trouble. Humidity and rust are a real killer in South Georgia. Back in the mid 70's there was a big push to clean up old junk yards and junk cars across middle Georgia. Scrap metal was going for a good price and the vast majority of old cars disappeared. As a results, Novas are almost impossible to find so we gave up and went with trying to fix the roof I have.

That spray on metal system looks like it would be a great thing to have but for a small body shop the amount of use would probably not allow such expensive equipment. I'll pass on the link to my body guy though.

I'm not giving up as this car is part of the family now but I'm still at the mercy of the body shop to get her back on the road. Bed liner or Lizard skin sounds like it might be something if it will not come loose from the roof. The drawback is that the roof on the inside has now been primed since the blasting took it down to metal. It had to be sealed. I'm wondering if something like BL and LS would adhere to the primer enough to not peel?
I have used the Lizard skin thermal insulation and this should do the trick that you are looking for. Its also supposed to be applied over primed, or epoxy metal. So all that has to be done is a scuff/sanding of the primer and it will stick like crazy. I had an accident when i was applying the product, and i managed to get it all of my walls in my shop. Let me tell you, it sticks to everything. I had plastic, cardboard, wood, concrete, counter top, metal, my clothes and everything else one would have in a garage covered with this stuff. It stuck to un-sanded hard toy plastic.

If you put the Sound insulation down first, and then come with the thermal over it, this will should give you more strength. Bed liner or lizard skin are probably going to be the best cost effective ways to go.
__________________
build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Joe's Garage and projects :Youtube
  Reply With Quote
Old 14th-May-2019, 10:47 PM   #15
J Mark
 
J Mark's Avatar

Title: Nova Guru
iTrader: (0)
Status: Offline
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Woodbridge, CA
Nova(s): 1972 383
Posts: 856
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewie415 View Post
I have used the Lizard skin thermal insulation and this should do the trick that you are looking for. Its also supposed to be applied over primed, or epoxy metal. So all that has to be done is a scuff/sanding of the primer and it will stick like crazy. I had an accident when i was applying the product, and i managed to get it all of my walls in my shop. Let me tell you, it sticks to everything. I had plastic, cardboard, wood, concrete, counter top, metal, my clothes and everything else one would have in a garage covered with this stuff. It stuck to un-sanded hard toy plastic.

If you put the Sound insulation down first, and then come with the thermal over it, this will should give you more strength. Bed liner or lizard skin are probably going to be the best cost effective ways to go.
Does POR-15 count as an acceptable surface for Lizard Skin if scuffed. When I pulled the old factory padding out I became pretty concerned. No way was I taking any sanders to that surface. It had to be pitted at least half the thickness of the roof. Quick cleaning with a scuff pad then POR-15. Those factory pads are like sponges holding condensation in against the roof.
__________________
Current Build
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Mark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

80-92
  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Body filler preference? All Metal or Metal to Metal? danheit Body and Interior 9 6th-April-2014 12:22 PM
Thin Cylinder Walls = More Heat? 62civa Drivetrain & Performance 7 13th-July-2010 10:28 AM
is "metal to metal" or "all metal" necessary? apollojay Body and Interior 8 29th-June-2009 01:15 PM
Thin Line whitewall tires BobL Originality 11 13th-March-2009 10:48 PM
What are the thin rubber flaps called that the window pushes up through? misguidedangel Body and Interior 2 16th-July-2008 12:56 AM


Site best viewed set to 1024 x 768.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:45 PM.

Custom Designed for Steve's Nova Site by: vBSkinworks

 
Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Lt
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
 

Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.