70' Moulding clips - Chevy Nova Forum
Visit our sponsor, National Nostalgic Nova

Steve's Nova Site is an automotive enthusiast website dedicated to the 1962 - 1979 Chevrolet Nova, Chevy II and Acadian automobiles. We work together to preserve, restore, drive, show, race and provide fellowship for these classic cars. This is one of the best places to find information about parts, rebuilding, restoration and racing. This website is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or Chevrolet in any capacity.

Go Back   Chevy Nova Forum > Non-Technical > 3rd Generation Chevy II/Nova's

StevesNovaSite.com is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 8th-April-2019, 05:19 PM   #1
Jmorr
(OP)

Title: Nova Junior Member
Nova(s): I have a 1970 nova
70' Moulding clips

I've got to order the chrome clips for the front and rear windshields on a 70 2-door today. Any reason to chose OEM over non-oem? Or any particular manufacturer I should avoid?

Sorry if this has been asked I did a search and the word "clip" has obviously been used in 10,000 threads.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 9th-April-2019, 02:37 PM   #2
Jmorr
(OP)

Okay, no help with that one.

How about this one: There are 12 studs around the upper and side windshield. Are there only two "lower moulding clips" that hold the lower chrome into place? I don't see anything else.
Old 9th-April-2019, 03:14 PM   #3
Ray_McAvoy

Title: Nova Guru
Nova(s): 1974 & 1977
I was able to re-use the original clips on my car so I don't have any experience with the currently available replacements. But if you can still get OEM clips at a reasonable price, that would probably be the best choice. 2nd choice would be reproductions of the OEM clips. And last choice would be generic replacements that may or may not fit correctly.

The lower windshield reveal molding should have about 8 clips. The two outermost clips are left / right side specific. The remaining 6 or so across the middle are not. All of the lower windshield molding clips are attached to the car with sheetmetal screws instead of snapping onto studs like the side/upper clips.

Old 9th-April-2019, 05:19 PM   #4
Jmorr
(OP)

That helps thanks. All my clips are rusty or missing.

I could only find the side clips for the lower chrome on classic industries so I was thinking that might be it. A different website had clips described as lower chrome clips, but they looked completely different from the upper chrome clips, which was throwing me off. It makes more sense with what you've told me.

Thanks!

Oh, do you know if the rear window lower chrome is the same way (lower clips different from the upper/side clips)?

Last edited by Jmorr; 9th-April-2019 at 05:34 PM.
Old 9th-April-2019, 05:46 PM   #5
Ray_McAvoy

Nova(s): 1974 & 1977
You're welcome!

Yes, the lower windshield molding clips do look quite a bit different than the side/upper ones.

And yes, the rear window also has different clips for the bottom vs. the side/upper pieces.

I believe the clips that were originally used along the bottom of the rear window are GM# 4510031. The lower rear window trim has holes in it that allow the studs to stick through and those clips are then snapped into place to hold it down (they remain visible when the trunk is open). Those #4510031 clips are reproduced and they were also used on some rocker panel moldings and other applications.
Old 10th-April-2019, 12:05 PM   #6
Jmorr
(OP)

That is so freaking helpful. Thanks!

I should've had these clips ordered a week ago. The guy that's installing my windshield says he highly recommends having them on hand when the windshield is installed to make sure they can be clipped on.

One more task down, 99,999,999 to go!

Old 10th-April-2019, 04:45 PM   #7
Twinshadows

Nova(s): 1969 2-door,OFFY Holley,
again, Ray Mc .... thanks for your info ...... still learning here....

Jmorr

for the front windshield -- lower windshield molding .... to remove that lower molding & clips == you need to remove your 'cowl screen' to
get to/remove those 'Hold-down clip screws'. ( you'll see after you remove the cowl-screen). For the Top/Side windshield moldings -- you need a
"molding removal tool" ---- cheap enough ---- be careful , you may break your window ===== I DID !

SIX-In - a - ROW MAKES -'em - GO
250 - w/OFFY Intake, Holley 390 - 4bbl, W/C T 5 - 3.08 Rear
Old 11th-April-2019, 10:10 AM   #8
YENKO DEUCE REG

Nova(s): 1970 Yenko Deuce 1969 Super Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmorr View Post
That is so freaking helpful. Thanks!

I should've had these clips ordered a week ago. The guy that's installing my windshield says he highly recommends having them on hand when the windshield is installed to make sure they can be clipped on.

One more task down, 99,999,999 to go!

I ordered all repro clips from Ground Up Resto for the sides and bottom for the windshield, and sides for the back window - all of them worked perfectly....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11th-April-2019, 01:05 PM   #9
Jmorr
(OP)

Anybody have trouble with the new style rather than the old? I've got the gold looking ones in my cart, from what I understand they're the new style.
Attached Images

Old 26th-April-2019, 09:57 AM   #10
Jmorr
(OP)

Just updating my post. I'll update again when I get around to snapping the chrome on.

The new style clips look great. I would definitely second what the glass installer said about having the clips in before setting the windows, as the bottom of the clip kicks out in an L shape. I haven't seen the old style in person, but from the picture I attached it looks like the bottom of that one rolls back in a u shape, so maybe not as big of a deal with the old style? Still, some of the... polyurethane (?) came up pretty close to the clips even with the installer doing an excellent job, so I'd say better safe than sorry.

I hope to update soon. I'm cleaning up my chrome and I've got to go steal a few pieces off a donor car.
Old 26th-April-2019, 10:02 AM   #11
lwlevens

Nova(s): 1972 nova ss 4 speed
Garage
I had trouble with the new style clips had a hell of a time sliding them over the pins.

" Get Busy Living or Get busy dying "

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 26th-April-2019, 04:48 PM   #12
Jmorr
(OP)

I hate that. They didn't give me any trouble. I had studs and even one screw where the window installer noticed a stud was missing and put a screw in for me. Hopefully I'll still be happy with them after trying to put the chrome on.
Old 26th-April-2019, 04:54 PM   #13
nashcar

Title: Nova Senior Member
Nova(s): 1967 SS
I always recommend http://www.restorationspecialties.com/ for these pieces.
67 Nova SS 327, M20, 3.73
Old 10th-May-2019, 07:26 AM   #14
Joe Kickass

Nova(s): 1970 Nova
bump, I need to follow this for future use
Old 15th-May-2019, 12:52 PM   #15
YENKO DEUCE REG

Nova(s): 1970 Yenko Deuce 1969 Super Sport
Repro clips, original reveal moldings (polished...), perfect fit - the install went exceptionally easy, I tried to explain to my son (its his car) that they don't normally go like this!! There's usually much more colorful vocabulary involved.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
chrome clips, moulding clips, window chrome