1966 4 speed carpet ring (non SS) - Chevy Nova Forum
Visit our sponsor, National Nostalgic Nova

Steve's Nova Site is an automotive enthusiast website dedicated to the 1962 - 1979 Chevrolet Nova, Chevy II and Acadian automobiles. We work together to preserve, restore, drive, show, race and provide fellowship for these classic cars. This is one of the best places to find information about parts, rebuilding, restoration and racing. This website is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or Chevrolet in any capacity.

Go Back   Chevy Nova Forum > General > Originality

StevesNovaSite.com is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 1st-March-2019, 12:48 PM   #1
m22
(OP)

Title: Nova Newbie
Nova(s): 1966 L 79 clone building
1966 4 speed carpet ring (non SS)

Anyone have any information or pictures of the carpet ring for a 4 speed non console car. It is colored coded to match the carpet, made from flexible plastic goes on top of the shifter ring and boot , it is around the carpet.

Thank You.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1st-March-2019, 01:29 PM   #2
dealer-deuce

Title: Nova Guru
Nova(s): A FAKE 63 NOVA
carpet retainer

the part you are referring to is made of pliable plastic. there is guy out that had these reproduced a few years back in a few colors. I will look up his info. I bought a light colored one from him years back I think the color was fawn. I used Bull Dog paint prep for adhesion and then painted to my liking. here is some photo's of the finished product.

Old 2nd-March-2019, 04:35 PM   #3
m22
(OP)

carpet ring

Looks good!

Old 4th-March-2019, 02:09 PM   #4
fpcopo

Nova(s): 1966 Nova
That part is exactly what we need. Can you get contact info for the gentleman? We were going to try 3d printing one. Thanks.
Old 20th-March-2019, 08:53 AM   #5
Jerhra

Title: Nova Junior Member
Nova(s): 66 SS L79 66 Sedan L79
Garage
sedan with rubber mat

What about if you have a 4 speed sedan with the rubber mat? Is the hump ring screwed over the top of the rubber mat and no ring?

Jerry in KY
Old 14th-May-2019, 03:30 PM   #6
m22
(OP)

carpet ring for rubber mat

I found this picture not sure if its correct
Attached Images

Old 14th-May-2019, 07:27 PM   #7
jon102966

Title: Nova Senior Member
Nova(s): 1966 Chevy II SS Lemonwoo
How about a console car ?
Old 14th-May-2019, 07:32 PM   #8
AllyMcReal

Title: Moderator
Nova(s): 1962 convertible
I don't think the picture shown is correct for a 4-speed 100 series car with the rubber mat. It's a bench seat shifter for sure, with the ring and 7 screws, ring being black, over the boot. No plastic trim ring. That ring is color coded to the carpet on 400 series cars with 4-speed.
Old 14th-May-2019, 08:27 PM   #9
AllyMcReal

I don't think that the color-coded ring goes on a console car either, even with carpet. I think that's just the ring and the boot.

The color coded ring, if I remember correctly, is a U-shaped channel, the U-shape toward the outside of the ring. The channel is wide enough to accommodate the carpet, and it's there so that you don't see the edge of the carpet.

Many moons ago I had a wonderful Canadian GM book that had ALL the part numbers for '62-'67 ChevyII and Nova, and exclusively for those cars, with superseding numbers up to 1970, they year it was published. It was, for me, the Bible on part numbers and usage of certain parts on cars. I sold the book and there are bootleg copies out in the world, as I'm certain that there are other genuine copies of the book. I'd think that looking up that flexible plastic color-coded ring in the book would show a reference to a 400 series Nova (non-SS) for it's usage. Anyone on SNS with the book?
Old 14th-May-2019, 08:37 PM   #10
67 Nova Boy

Nova(s): 67 Nova SS 302 Cross Ram
Give me a part number or a group and I will look it up. I think I have that book you mentioned.

Dave
Old 14th-May-2019, 08:51 PM   #11
AllyMcReal

3849850 and 3849851 are the metal ring and the boot, which they call a retainer and a seal, respectively. I'm going off of the '65 assembly manual, page 258. On this page they mention a 'seat separator and trim plate' which we know to be an SS console, and that's what the picture depicts, installation of these items on a '65 SS. There is no call for this color coded plastic ring under the 'console' or 'seat separator and trim plate'.

The assembly manual does not reference this plastic part. However, my '65 Nova wagon came with one, turquoise, and color coded to the carpet. I don't even think it was stapled to the carpet, just set in the cut out and it never popped out or never went anywhere. But again, that was a 400 series with an M-20, so it would have the ring.

My '64 100 series sedan with factory 4-speed had only the rubber mat, a black boot and a black ring to hold down the boot, screwed in over both the boot and the rubber mat, bench seat shifter. I think that's the way they came for 100 series.
Old 14th-May-2019, 09:11 PM   #12
67 Nova Boy

Nova(s): 67 Nova SS 302 Cross Ram
This what I have on the numbers you put up. Looks like they are good for 65-66 if that is what the ring is?

Dave
Attached Images

Old 14th-May-2019, 09:30 PM   #13
dealer-deuce

Nova(s): A FAKE 63 NOVA
carpet grommets via GM parts book

here is a relic from July 1st. 1966 colors and part numbers for grommets for Chevy A.K.A. Nova

Charlie p.
Old 14th-May-2019, 10:46 PM   #14
buccflyer

Nova(s): 62 vert, 62 HT & 62 post
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by m22 View Post
I found this picture not sure if its correct
Anyone know where to get the rubber mat in this picture? I'm building a 62 100 series sedan and installing a 4 speed and would love to make mine look as good as this picture.
Old 15th-May-2019, 06:38 AM   #15
AllyMcReal

Props to both Nova Boy and Charlie for the searching. Charlie, I think that's the page to reference, and it's out of a parts book with all Chevrolet models. My experience has been that Chevy refers to big car (Bel Air, Impala, etc.) and that Nova is Nova, NOT Chevy II. So referring to the page with the grommets listed (and their colors) again, I interpret that as Nova (400 series) gets the grommet to match the color of the carpet, while the SS does in fact get a black grommet that goes around the carpet opening that you'd never see under the console. I stand corrected there. But with no ChevyII listing, just the ring and the boot.

Anyone tell me why that ring was made with 7 screws and not an even number? I still don't get that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement