Thin roof metal opinion! - Page 2 - Chevy Nova Forum
Visit our sponsor, National Nostalgic Nova

Steve's Nova Site is an automotive enthusiast website dedicated to the 1962 - 1979 Chevrolet Nova, Chevy II and Acadian automobiles. We work together to preserve, restore, drive, show, race and provide fellowship for these classic cars. This is one of the best places to find information about parts, rebuilding, restoration and racing. This website is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or Chevrolet in any capacity.

Go Back   Chevy Nova Forum > Body, Chassis and Mechanical > Body and Interior

StevesNovaSite.com is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 15th-May-2019, 12:41 AM   #16
lewie415

Title: Nova Junior Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mark View Post
Does POR-15 count as an acceptable surface for Lizard Skin if scuffed. When I pulled the old factory padding out I became pretty concerned. No way was I taking any sanders to that surface. It had to be pitted at least half the thickness of the roof. Quick cleaning with a scuff pad then POR-15. Those factory pads are like sponges holding condensation in against the roof.
I have never top coated por 15, but I was reading the tech sheet and it looks like a tie-coat is needed to top coat over por 15. You may want to contact por 15 to see what is the best way to prep to it for putting lizard skin on top of it. A simple scuff and shoot might be enough.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Joe's Garage and projects :Youtube
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 15th-May-2019, 11:58 AM   #17
riverboatman
(OP)

Title: Nova Guru
Nova(s): 1965 Nova SS
Can Lizard Skin be applied with a brush or a roller? I do not have access to a rotisserie. It would seem that now is the time to apply whatever I'm going to do before any other work gets done to the interior.
Old 19th-May-2019, 10:21 AM   #18
Rush

Nova(s): 73 hatchback, 72 custom,
x3 lizard skin

i have used it as a sound deadener and rust proofer on a 48 gmc and my 71 nova and it does add structural integrity.

Old 19th-May-2019, 10:22 AM   #19
Rush

Nova(s): 73 hatchback, 72 custom,
i used a brush for the hard to reach areas. i don't see why it wouldn't work with a roller.
Old 19th-May-2019, 11:37 AM   #20
Nomomoto2

Title: Nova Newbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mark View Post
Does POR-15 count as an acceptable surface for Lizard Skin if scuffed. When I pulled the old factory padding out I became pretty concerned. No way was I taking any sanders to that surface. It had to be pitted at least half the thickness of the roof. Quick cleaning with a scuff pad then POR-15. Those factory pads are like sponges holding condensation in against the roof.
Yea I would find a good fiberglass man, epoxy resin and a few layers of mat and cloth fiberglass will repair and strengthen your iner roof, and if done properly it will outlast your car.
I will be doing the same for my longroof cause my gutter are rotted out. Hopefully this helps.
Old 21st-May-2019, 08:14 AM   #21
riverboatman
(OP)

Sorry for being late getting back. Lots of stuff going on. I'm getting resistance from my body guy on spraying anything on the inner roof. He keeps saying it'll get all over the car if he tries it and can't quarantee it'll stick for any length of time because of heat buildup. His suggestion is just to put Fatmat and then some sort of sound barrier. This is starting to become a real thorn in my side.

More than likely I'll end up with the car back home with nothing applied to the inner roof so it'll be up to me as to what gets put on.
Old 21st-May-2019, 03:45 PM   #22
Hopy

Nova(s): 66 Nova-6.2L LS3- 4L70E
Garage
My fenders were pretty thin after the media blasting process. They would shake and vibrate like nobody's business when the engine was running. I did a fiberglass backing to the fenders and they are stiff as boards now.
Probably won't be as easy to do the inside of the roof, but be sure to wear protective goggles and throw away suit while doing it.
Old 11th-June-2019, 04:58 PM   #23
riverboatman
(OP)

After much research and thinking, I'm going to give Lizard Skin a try. Like most of the stuff I try, I'll probably mess it up but I have to do something.

Question.....will a cheap undercoating gun work with this product? I just can't seem to force myself to spend $80 + shipping for something that I'll most likely only use a couple of times.
Old 12th-June-2019, 12:57 AM   #24
lewie415

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverboatman View Post
After much research and thinking, I'm going to give Lizard Skin a try. Like most of the stuff I try, I'll probably mess it up but I have to do something.

Question.....will a cheap undercoating gun work with this product? I just can't seem to force myself to spend $80 + shipping for something that I'll most likely only use a couple of times.
With my experience, the lizard skin gun works really well. I tried to use a siphon feed raptor gun and it does not work. There is not enough siphon and the product is too thick. I do know the orfice on the lizard skin gun is pretty big, pretty much the same size as the raptor liner gun. I cant think of a another style gun that is cheaper that would work.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Joe's Garage and projects :Youtube
Old 12th-June-2019, 06:31 PM   #25
Quiveringfish

Nova(s): 1965 2-Dr Hardtop
Riverboatman, thank you for this post, I also am concerned with my roof so am enjoying this sharing of ideas. If you do apply would you be so kind as to share some pics of what you do? This may be next after I finish what I am into now and would appreciate your experiences.

Charlie
Old 13th-June-2019, 08:00 AM   #26
acd65post

Nova(s): 65 Two Door Post
It would be ideal to apply anything with the car on a rotisserie- turned upside down.
Old 13th-June-2019, 09:43 AM   #27
riverboatman
(OP)

I totally agree about the rotisserie but I've searched high and low, followed all the leads and still did not come up with one. My car now has the front clip installed so I'm in a situation of moving forward with what I've got. That was the reason for me asking about applying Lizard Skin with a brush or roller.

The guy that is doing the body work has moved me into this situation because of the lack of a rotisserie as he doesn't seem to want to deal with the thin roof situation beyond what he has already done to straighten out the oil can warps.

The inner roof has been primed but not painted and it doesn't sound like he intents to paint it. At this point it's most likely going to be up to me to deal with this part of the project. As I see it now, anything applied to the roof will a plus even if it's not the exact thickness that LS recommends.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement