Getting 66 Chevy 2 to the sandblaster - Chevy Nova Forum
Visit our sponsor, National Nostalgic Nova

Steve's Nova Site is an automotive enthusiast website dedicated to the 1962 - 1979 Chevrolet Nova, Chevy II and Acadian automobiles. We work together to preserve, restore, drive, show, race and provide fellowship for these classic cars. This is one of the best places to find information about parts, rebuilding, restoration and racing. This website is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or Chevrolet in any capacity.

Go Back   Chevy Nova Forum > Body, Chassis and Mechanical > Body and Interior

StevesNovaSite.com is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11th-September-2019, 09:53 PM   #1
Chevygasser
(OP)

Title: Nova Newbie
Getting 66 Chevy 2 to the sandblaster

Hi guys. I’m doing a L-79. This is a one owner car numbers matching etc. tuxedo black black interior. Anyways. I have the car disassembled and going to the sandblaster for the underside. It’s a shell now. Question is what’s the best way to get it there?? I have a nice open trailer also a friend with a roll back that’s available. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12th-September-2019, 01:17 PM   #2
riverboatman

Title: Nova Guru
Nova(s): 1965 Nova HT
Just thought I'd chime in about you taking the car to the sandblaster. I was suppose to be getting the undercoating sandblasted off the bottom of the floorboard and the dustless paint removal on all the other body parts but instead the guy sand blasted my whole car. BAD NEWS!! I'm still

As for your floor pan blasting, I'll tell you now that you'll spend a lot of time trying to get the sand out of your support braces, braces where the rear shock plates attach, rear water drains exiting the rocker panels right in front of the rear wheel well, where any rubber plug is suppose to be, etc.. I'm talking about many hours if not a few days.

I vacuumed while blasting with air so it would make the sand airborne, ran wire into the holes with a loop on the end and am still getting sand out of the holes. I've not tried a pressure washer yet but when I'm satisfied that I've got all the sand I can out, the the pressure washer will be the last thing I'll try and I still don't think I'll get it all. Attach wires to rags and then stuff the rags into all the holes underneath as the sand it gonna get into them if you don't. That way you will be able to pull the rags back out after the deed is done. Vacuum each hole to get as much residual sand out before pulling the rags.

Wasn't sure what you meant by a shell. The photos shows my Nova as a shell. Nothing but a body so I had to build some wheel for the front and used the old rear bumper brackets and a chain for the rear. I had some eyelet that come off of some old equipment which I attached to the brackets. They worked out very well for lifting the car but I wish I had put some forethought into what the guy could do to my car. Used my tractor lift to get it off the ground for sandblasting (Destroying) my Nova. Only good thing that came out of the experience is.....there wasn't any rust left on the scrap metal.

List of what sandblasting can do for you. It can warp (oil can) the hood, trunk lid, fenders, roof and a quarter panels. Believe me....repops do not fit as well as the originals.

Just thought I'd let you know what you could have in store for you.
Attached Images

Last edited by riverboatman; 12th-September-2019 at 02:13 PM. Reason: add photos
Old 12th-September-2019, 07:59 PM   #3
67nova73

Nova(s): 73 and a 67 Nova
Looking forward in seeing the progress . . .

Old 12th-September-2019, 08:38 PM   #4
Mike Ward MB

Title: Nova Junior Member
Nova(s): 72 Nova SS 66 Beaumont S
I echo Riverboatman.
My son sent his 68 Charger to have the underside sandblasted. They ended up sandblasting the upper rear quarters as well. They had to be replaced after that!
I had my 72 Nova waterblasted. Ruined my hood and when the rear quarters were cut for replacement they curled up from being stretched out of shape!

If there is any medium left in the subframe or any inaccessible cavities a downdraft spray booth will suck it out and it will be all over your paint.
Old 12th-September-2019, 10:16 PM   #5
AllyMcReal

Title: Moderator
Nova(s): 1962 convertible
Triple on the sandblasting. I had my wagon walnut shell blasted and that worked out really well. Doesn't deal with rust or bondo, but no warpage either.

The 2" box with a caster works well at the front of the car and any old rear end will work at the rear, but just for the blasting. Fitting anything on the car like doors or welding on any major body panels like floors or quarters should be done either with the car on all fours or with support rods tacked to keep relative distances the same. Won't make that mistake a second time.
Old 13th-September-2019, 09:17 AM   #6
Delo1605

Title: Nova Newbie
Nova(s): 66 SS
This is how I moved mine, legs on the front and rear.
Attached Images

Old 13th-September-2019, 11:00 AM   #7
riverboatman

Sorry for going on about the sandblasting but that is a real sore spot with me. If it's bigger than my hand I don't sand blast.

What was left of my car was transported by using the wheels and brackets shown in the second photo. I bought a roll around axle housing and installed old tires and wheels. I don't have any photos but we loaded it on my 16' trailer and took it to the body shop with hopes of a miracle.
Old 13th-September-2019, 11:11 AM   #8
CGMike

Title: Nova Senior Member
Nova(s): 64 Nova post coupe
We have a guy in town that has a "dustless blasting" company that will come to you and do it in your driveway. It uses water and media to blast the car, if you don't want to transport the shell, maybe you could find someone that will come to you. .
Old 13th-September-2019, 03:08 PM   #9
riverboatman

That guy in the my first photo was suppose to be just such a guy. After the fact, I found out that he knew nothing about the dustless paint removal other than he had one of their machines on a huge trailer. His primary job was sand blasting frames and wheels for three nearby shops that buy and restore wrecked semi-trucks.

I found out about 6 months ago that he did the same thing to someone else's car and they sued him. He is no longer in business and I can't say that I'm sad~!
Old 15th-September-2019, 12:58 AM   #10
Zonie

Nova(s): 67 ss
Ditto on the sandblasting, they ruined a 67 skylark on me, I wound up parting the car out. for my 67 Nova I had it on a rotisserie, I bought a pressure sandblaster from harbor freight and did it myself, it turned out great, just make sure you get the correct sand. most sandblasters are used to blasting heavy duty items and are not skilled at sheet metal. Even if you find a good one how is he supposed to blast the bottom of the car unless its on a rotisserie. I bought one new for 1100 and sold it for 1000 when I was done.
Old 15th-September-2019, 01:12 AM   #11
J Mark

Nova(s): 1972 383
Garage
I saw all the horror stories about sand blasting and decided not to go there. I got my 3rd gen up on a rotisserie and went at it by hand. Lots of wire wheels and torches to heat up the under coating so I could scrape it off. It was a lot of work but I know every inch of that car. I was able to identify all the problem areas and correct them with out having the sand just rip it all out. After I got it back on the ground I went at the body with stripper and a Wagner paint eater. I was able to identify all small pin holes and fix with small welds and patches. It sucked but I feel good about the results.

Mark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

80-92
Old 20th-September-2019, 06:22 AM   #12
anovanut

Title: Nova Junior Member
Find someone who soda blasts.....Wouldn’t use sand on body panels if at all possible. There are a couple mobile soda blasters in my area.
Old 20th-September-2019, 10:07 AM   #13
H8tulooze

Nova(s): 1967 SS LS9 800HP
Garage
I had the blaster company do it in my driveway. No issues but he said dont blast the roof as it might warp.
Attached Images

1965 SS Malibu Convertible
1965 Chevelle 2 Door Wagon
Old 20th-September-2019, 04:04 PM   #14
riverboatman

I can guarantee you if that was the guy that sandblasted my car sitting in your neighborhood I'd be washing cars for a month.
He had the same equipment as your guy but he didn't know how to use it apparently. I agree with your guy as I ended up with four
oil can warps in my roof. The hood and trunk were destroyed. It might not be a bad idea to go to a junk yard and pick up a piece of
painted sheet metal for a trial run before letting one of those guys start working. I sure wish I had.

Last edited by riverboatman; 20th-September-2019 at 04:15 PM.
Old 20th-September-2019, 06:12 PM   #15
drm101

Title: Nova Senior Member
Nova(s): 1963 Nova SS
Garage
I had mine media blasted. They used plastic. I taped the doors shut and left the windows in and they just did the outside of the car, not the underneath. Even then, there was media and dust everywhere and it took me forever to get it all out, but it was a whole lot easier than sanding all the paint off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement