Edelbrock power package for 350 any good? - Chevy Nova Forum
Visit our sponsor, National Nostalgic Nova

Steve's Nova Site is an automotive enthusiast website dedicated to the 1962 - 1979 Chevrolet Nova, Chevy II and Acadian automobiles. We work together to preserve, restore, drive, show, race and provide fellowship for these classic cars. This is one of the best places to find information about parts, rebuilding, restoration and racing. This website is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or Chevrolet in any capacity.

Go Back   Chevy Nova Forum > Body, Chassis and Mechanical > Drivetrain & Performance

StevesNovaSite.com is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 5th-June-2008, 08:17 PM   #1
tehdrizzle

Title: Nova Guru
Nova(s): 1973 Chevy Nova SS
Edelbrock power package for 350 any good?

Well I've been looking around and I'm on a budget. My engine is in MINT condition and only has about 10,000 miles on it, but of course everyone knows you will eventually want more power. Can anyone give me feedback from the Edelbrock top end power packages? Specifically I'm looking at part # 2099. It will put you up to 435hp and 435ft/lbs. It is with a 350 that has 9.5:1 compression as well. The parts are as follows:

Part # 2201 Performer RPM Hydraulic Roller Cam
Part # 60979 E-Tec 170 Cylinder heads "complete and assembled"
Part # 6997 Timing Cover Gasket and seat set
Part # 7367 Cylinder head gasket set for E-Tec heads
Part # 7716 RPM Air-Gap Vortec Intake Manifold
Part # 8516 Intake Manifold bolt kit for E-Tec heads
Part # 8550 Cylinder head bolt set

Does anyone think that this kit would be worth it? I estimate that I could get around $850-$900 for my intake manifold, carb, cleaner, heads, and cam and the top end kit would run me $1758.99. I would have to get pushrods and rockers extra and thats it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 5th-June-2008, 10:42 PM   #2
firebird69racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehdrizzle View Post
Well I've been looking around and I'm on a budget. My engine is in MINT condition and only has about 10,000 miles on it, but of course everyone knows you will eventually want more power. Can anyone give me feedback from the Edelbrock top end power packages? Specifically I'm looking at part # 2099. It will put you up to 435hp and 435ft/lbs. It is with a 350 that has 9.5:1 compression as well. The parts are as follows:

Part # 2201 Performer RPM Hydraulic Roller Cam
Part # 60979 E-Tec 170 Cylinder heads "complete and assembled"
Part # 6997 Timing Cover Gasket and seat set
Part # 7367 Cylinder head gasket set for E-Tec heads
Part # 7716 RPM Air-Gap Vortec Intake Manifold
Part # 8516 Intake Manifold bolt kit for E-Tec heads
Part # 8550 Cylinder head bolt set

Does anyone think that this kit would be worth it? I estimate that I could get around $850-$900 for my intake manifold, carb, cleaner, heads, and cam and the top end kit would run me $1758.99. I would have to get pushrods and rockers extra and thats it.

Where are you getting your prices?
Summit has two kits like yours but they both come with push rods. One comes with the lifters and one does not.
If you don't have the roller lifters you will have to buy them also
http://store.summitracing.com/egnsea...115+4294851051

I just installed this kit on my motor last week, Except I used the straight plug heads.
http://store.summitracing.com/egnsea...115+4294821362
I love it for the price. It runs very well. I used Summit's roller rockers, and the Eddy 650 Thunder Series carb. It pulls hard all the way to 6,500 RPM.
Old 6th-June-2008, 12:02 AM   #3
hutchenc

Title: Nova Senior Member
The E-Tec heads are a better head than the RPM's. The chamber is a better design and at least from the advertised flow numbers, have more potential out of box. There's certainly nothing wrong with them.

The roller cam will cost more b/c you'll have to buy lifters separately, but a roller cam of similar duration and lift (as compared to a flat tappet) will make more power at just about every RPM point than a flat tappet and you don't have to worry about wiping lobes or break in either.

If you're driving a street car with an auto and power brakes (and possibly highway rear gears), the cam in the kit you listed is a pretty big cam for a street 350 and power brakes might not work so well. I'd look for a cam with duration in the mid to high 220 range at the most (@ .050) instead of one that's well into the 230's. A Lunati Voodoo 60111 (219/227 duration at .050) would be a great street 350 cam in my opinion and would allow power brakes to run just fine and you *could* use it with a mild converter. Of course...this is assuming it's 90% street driven and you take it to the strip on occasion.

In order to say whether or not that cam is a good match for your car, you'd need to take into consideration what you're doing with it (street, drag...both, how much of each), rear gear ratio, auto or stick, compression, etc. Like I said, the roller cam in the Edelbrock kit is going to require a fairly high stall converter if you've got an auto (probably about 2500 rpm), rear gears of at least 3.73:1, somewhere in the neighborhood of 10:1 compression, and power brakes would be marginal at best if you've got 'em.

If you can afford a roller set up, that'd be the way to go.

You could probably piece together a package that is more tailored to your application for the same money the kit costs.

Last edited by hutchenc; 6th-June-2008 at 12:17 AM.
Old 6th-June-2008, 07:26 AM   #4
tehdrizzle

The $1,700 price is from a local place called Lane Automotive. Thanks for the input so far. My rear gear is 3.73 and I plan on using the car for street use mostly, but I do want to have a little fun.
Old 6th-June-2008, 07:33 AM   #5
tehdrizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebird69racer View Post
Where are you getting your prices?
Summit has two kits like yours but they both come with push rods. One comes with the lifters and one does not.
If you don't have the roller lifters you will have to buy them also
http://store.summitracing.com/egnsea...115+4294851051

I just installed this kit on my motor last week, Except I used the straight plug heads.
http://store.summitracing.com/egnsea...115+4294821362
I love it for the price. It runs very well. I used Summit's roller rockers, and the Eddy 650 Thunder Series carb. It pulls hard all the way to 6,500 RPM.
What kind of power are you putting down with that kit and are you auto or stick? Any upgrades to the stall converter if your auto.
Old 6th-June-2008, 01:43 PM   #6
hutchenc

Title: Nova Senior Member
With your rear gears you'd likely be fine...but do you have power brakes? I may have missed this...but what tranny are you running? If you're running an auto with a stock converter plan on swapping that too.

Also, you didn't mention what heads you currently have. If they're 76 cc chambered heads you're looking at a big bump in compression. You need to make sure those E-Tecs won't put your compression too high since they have 64cc chambers (one mag I read reported 62 cc's...I think the article was called King Vortec or something like that...might try Googling it).

I still think that cam is a tad big for mostly street use in a 350. If you had a 383 I wouldn't be quite a worried about it. I'd look for something smaller...just my opinion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement