Total timing and timing curve recommendation - Chevy Nova Forum
Visit our sponsor, National Nostalgic Nova

Steve's Nova Site is an automotive enthusiast website dedicated to the 1962 - 1979 Chevrolet Nova, Chevy II and Acadian automobiles. We work together to preserve, restore, drive, show, race and provide fellowship for these classic cars. This is one of the best places to find information about parts, rebuilding, restoration and racing. This website is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or Chevrolet in any capacity.

Go Back   Chevy Nova Forum > Body, Chassis and Mechanical > Drivetrain & Performance

StevesNovaSite.com is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 3rd-May-2008, 12:28 PM   #1
supr78nova

Title: Nova Guru
Nova(s): '78 & '79
Total timing and timing curve recommendation

Looking for a total timing recommendation for my combo. Also what would be a good timing curve for this combo?

Approx 9.4:1 CR, ~15" vacuum @ idle
350 goodwrench short block
Vortec heads modified for increased lift
comp cams XE268 cam .477/.480 lift
holley 650 vac secondary
stock HEI distributor
2 5/8 full length headers w/2 1/2 exhaust

TH350 trans
3.42 gears

I recently purchased a piston stop to first verify true TDC, a degreed balancer cover, adjustable pointer, and an HEI recurve kit.

Any help would be appreciated,

Dan
Advertisement

Old 3rd-May-2008, 12:47 PM   #2
Shuboxchevy

Title: Nova Junior Member
Dan,

I have a similar setup as you. L31 block with vortec heads. XE270 hyd roller cam. 9.4:1 CR. I was having pretty good luck with 10* initial w/ a 24* curve that was all in at 3000 rpm for a total mechanical timing of 34* advanced. I was also running a 18* vacuum curve that was all in at 8 in HG. I had pretty good luck with it and it may be a good starting point for you.

If anything, you may need a couple degrees less timing then what I was running since I was running the wrong length spark plugs previously.

Hope that helps.

66 Chevy II Sedan 100
L31 350 / Iron Vortec heads
Comp XE270HR cam
Old 3rd-May-2008, 01:20 PM   #3
Seattle_Mike

Title: Moderator
Above sounds about right for your combo. Read the plugs too...the best indicator of what's going on overall.
Old 3rd-May-2008, 08:48 PM   #4
kane

just experiment, don't be afraid of more initial. My car is the same except I have more compression and it runs best with 18 initial and 32 total. I suggest you return the recurve kit, and buy the crane adjustable vacuum advance kit. It comes with the vacuum canister, and springs the recurve the mechanical advance.
Old 3rd-May-2008, 10:09 PM   #5
supr78nova

Title: Nova Guru
Nova(s): '78 & '79
Kane,
I forgot to mention that I do already have an adjustable vacuum advance canister installed.

As a general rule what would be the max total timing for my vortec headed combo? I know that vortecs require less total timing than older heads because of their more efficient chamber design amongst other variables, I'm just not sure how much total timing would be too much.

Dan
Old 4th-May-2008, 12:22 AM   #6
kane

I don't have track times where I've played with the timing, but from reading I just heard they run good around 32-33. Maybe drivewfo will chime in. But I will say, my car runs better with 18 initial. The idle is better, it's more responsive, starts right up, and runs cooler.
Old 5th-May-2008, 12:54 AM   #7
Shuboxchevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by supr78nova View Post
Kane,
I forgot to mention that I do already have an adjustable vacuum advance canister installed.

As a general rule what would be the max total timing for my vortec headed combo? I know that vortecs require less total timing than older heads because of their more efficient chamber design amongst other variables, I'm just not sure how much total timing would be too much.

Dan
If it detonates... that's too much timing.

52 total timing (initial + mechanical + vacuum) is ballpark for a SBC. Subtract a few degrees and that's about max for your vortec.

66 Chevy II Sedan 100
L31 350 / Iron Vortec heads
Comp XE270HR cam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement