Spark plug reach and tip for VORTEC - Chevy Nova Forum
Visit our sponsor, National Nostalgic Nova
 
Steve's Nova Site is an automotive enthusiast website dedicated to the 1962 - 1979 Chevrolet Nova, Chevy II and Acadian automobiles. We work together to preserve, restore, drive, show, race and provide fellowship for these classic cars. This is one of the best places to find information about parts, rebuilding, restoration and racing. This website is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or Chevrolet in any capacity.

Go Back   Chevy Nova Forum > Body, Chassis and Mechanical > Drivetrain & Performance


StevesNovaSite.com is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th-March-2008, 11:49 PM   #1
Shuboxchevy
 
Shuboxchevy's Avatar

Title: Nova Junior Member
iTrader: (0)
Status: Offline
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Pensacola, FL
Posts: 130
Spark plug reach and tip for VORTEC

I've been running the wrong spark plug in my Nova with vortecs for over 6 years. Do you have any idea how frustrating it is to find that out? Car runs like ****, almost always has.

Anyway, I have to run shorty style plugs for header clearance and I really need somebody to clarify what spark plug I should be running with vortec heads. I don't really understand hot/cold plugs, so any advice on that would be grand.

From what I've read, I need a .708 projected plug. From this website, I see 524S or 526S (hot) for accel plugs.

http://go.mrgasket.com/pdf/sparkplug...oove_Specs.pdf

Thanks in advance.....
__________________
Ryan

66 Chevy II Sedan 100
L31 350 / Iron Vortec heads
Comp XE270HR cam
  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 29th-March-2008, 12:08 AM   #2
The Big Al
 
The Big Al's Avatar

Title: Nova Guru
iTrader: (113)
Status: Offline
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Hickory, NC
Nova(s): 68ss, 70ss (SOLD)
Posts: 15,938
If they are IRON GM Vortec heads they use the
A/C R44TS plug .045 gap


if aluminum head it uses a A/C MR43LTS

You can go to these links for other brand options using the cross reference.
http://www.Autolite.com
http://www.championsparkplugs.com
http://www.ngk.com
__________________

“The bitterness of poor quality & Service remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”
  Reply With Quote
Old 29th-March-2008, 12:50 AM   #3
Shuboxchevy
 
Shuboxchevy's Avatar

Title: Nova Junior Member
iTrader: (0)
Status: Offline
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Pensacola, FL
Posts: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Al View Post
If they are IRON GM Vortec heads they use the
A/C R44TS plug .045 gap


if aluminum head it uses a A/C MR43LTS

You can go to these links for other brand options using the cross reference.
http://www.Autolite.com
http://www.championsparkplugs.com
http://www.ngk.com
Are those shorty plugs though?? They are iron heads. I was under the impression that accel were the only ones who made the shorty plugs. THANKS!
__________________
Ryan

66 Chevy II Sedan 100
L31 350 / Iron Vortec heads
Comp XE270HR cam
  Reply With Quote
Old 29th-March-2008, 12:59 AM   #4
shawn

Title: Nova Senior Member
iTrader: (0)
Status: Offline
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: NW
Posts: 274
Quote:
I've been running the wrong spark plug in my Nova with vortecs for over 6 years. Do you have any idea how frustrating it is to find that out? Car runs like ****, almost always has.

Anyway, I have to run shorty style plugs for header clearance and I really need somebody to clarify what spark plug I should be running with vortec heads. I don't really understand hot/cold plugs, so any advice on that would be grand.

From what I've read, I need a .708 projected plug. From this website, I see 524S or 526S (hot) for accel plugs.

http://go.mrgasket.com/pdf/sparkplug...oove_Specs.pdf

Thanks in advance.....
You are correct. The iron gm vortec's do take a .708 reach spark plug.An AC R44ts is a .460 reach plug. If you do the math you'll realize your a bit shy of actually making it to the chamber.
It's kind of hard to tell with Accel plugs where they fall into the heat range. I would use the colder of the two, if it's a performance application at all. With that being said, unless you were WAY off, it shouldn't have a huge effect. I would look to the basic's of tuning first, but make sure you have the correct plug in there.
shawn
  Reply With Quote
Old 29th-March-2008, 01:00 AM   #5
The Big Al
 
The Big Al's Avatar

Title: Nova Guru
iTrader: (113)
Status: Offline
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Hickory, NC
Nova(s): 68ss, 70ss (SOLD)
Posts: 15,938
Link to pic.

http://198.208.187.182/internet/View...rtNumber=R44TS
__________________

“The bitterness of poor quality & Service remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”
  Reply With Quote
Old 29th-March-2008, 01:24 AM   #6
Shuboxchevy
 
Shuboxchevy's Avatar

Title: Nova Junior Member
iTrader: (0)
Status: Offline
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Pensacola, FL
Posts: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn View Post
You are correct. The iron gm vortec's do take a .708 reach spark plug.An AC R44ts is a .460 reach plug. If you do the math you'll realize your a bit shy of actually making it to the chamber.
It's kind of hard to tell with Accel plugs where they fall into the heat range. I would use the colder of the two, if it's a performance application at all. With that being said, unless you were WAY off, it shouldn't have a huge effect. I would look to the basic's of tuning first, but make sure you have the correct plug in there.
shawn
I was/am running accel shorty 576S plugs which are .460 reach. I finally visited the basics of tuning and learned that I had a leaking intake valve and now I'm finding this too! I sure hope its runs like a champ when I get it buttoned up again.

I put the spark plug in with the heads out and noticed it didn't even make it to the combustion chamber. I was... Check it out, you can't even SEE the plug.



If I go with accel plugs, I'll go with the 524S as they are the colder of the two. But does anybody else make a shorty plug or am I stuck with accel? My number 5 cyl just won't clear the header without the shorties...

Thanks again!!!!!!
__________________
Ryan

66 Chevy II Sedan 100
L31 350 / Iron Vortec heads
Comp XE270HR cam
  Reply With Quote
Old 29th-March-2008, 01:27 AM   #7
bowtie0069
 
bowtie0069's Avatar

Title: Nova Guru
iTrader: (0)
Status: Offline
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: So. Cal.
Nova(s): 69
Posts: 10,169
Quote:
If they are IRON GM Vortec heads they use the
A/C R44TS plug
I don't think so. Not even close. All the Vortec specific plugs were posted here last year or maybe even longer--Try the search function.
__________________
69 Nova 410" small block-Driven to track
6.39 E.T./105 MPH--6.11/112.89 w/N2O
bowtie0069.fotki.com/
  Reply With Quote
Old 29th-March-2008, 01:49 AM   #8
Shuboxchevy
 
Shuboxchevy's Avatar

Title: Nova Junior Member
iTrader: (0)
Status: Offline
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Pensacola, FL
Posts: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtie0069 View Post
I don't think so. Not even close. All the Vortec specific plugs were posted here last year or maybe even longer--Try the search function.
I searched...... That's how I found that the .708 reach/tapered is the correct size. I also found the accel info in the search that shows I need either a 524S or 526S. Couldn't find any other info on shorty plugs though.

I'm asking for clarification before I waste money on spark plugs that won't work for my application. Champion's website is horrible and I couldn't find any good info on shorty plugs and I'm losing patience with Autolite as well.
__________________
Ryan

66 Chevy II Sedan 100
L31 350 / Iron Vortec heads
Comp XE270HR cam
  Reply With Quote
Old 29th-March-2008, 06:30 AM   #9
The Big Al
 
The Big Al's Avatar

Title: Nova Guru
iTrader: (113)
Status: Offline
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Hickory, NC
Nova(s): 68ss, 70ss (SOLD)
Posts: 15,938
350 HO Technical Information
Horsepower ..................... 330 @ 5000 RPM
Torque .......................... 380 Ft. Lbs. @ 3800
Max. Recommended RPM ..... 5500
Compression Ratio ............. 9.1:1
Block ............................ 10105123 Cast iron four bolt with one piece rear main seal
Crankshaft ...................... 14088527 Nodular cast iron
Connecting Rods ............... 10108688 PM steel
Pistons .......................... 12361371 Cast aluminum
Piston Rings .................... 14089025
Camshaft ........................ 24502476
Lift: .435" I, .460" E. Duration @ .050: 212o I, 222o E.
Timing Chain ................... 14087014
Cylinder Heads ................. 12558060 Cast Iron 64cc Vortec combustion chambers
Intake Valves ................... 10241743 1.94"
Exhaust Valves .................. 12550901 1.50"
Valve Springs ................... 10212811
Rocker Arms .................... 10089648 1.5 ratio
Valve Lash ...................... Zero
Spark Plugs ..................... R44TS Gap @ .045 (300 HP 350) 41-932 Gap @ .060 (330 HP 350) R44LTS Gap @ .045 (330 HP 350) Rapid Fire #8 @ .035
Ignition Timing .................. 10 BTDC @ 700 RPM.
This block is drilled and tapped for clutch linkage.

Specs above, so I guess i need to read a little more, they do list the R44LTS for the 330hp head.

SOB's wont list plugs by head design


So is this the plug for "ALL VORTEC"S"?????? (style)
they say R44LTS has a .715 reach Tapper seat
http://198.208.187.182/internet/View...tNumber=r44lts


My bad! just trying to help
__________________

“The bitterness of poor quality & Service remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”
  Reply With Quote
Old 29th-March-2008, 07:30 AM   #10
onecarnut
 
onecarnut's Avatar

Title: Nova Guru
iTrader: (4)
Status: Offline
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Arkansas
Nova(s): 1968 Chevy II
Posts: 2,798
I bought a crate engine this year, with iron vortec heads. I have the booklet in my hand and the GM instructions says to use R43LTS (Not R44LTS)

I think the NGK 3328 is a substitute.

Last edited by onecarnut; 29th-March-2008 at 07:36 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 29th-March-2008, 10:49 AM   #11
bowtie0069
 
bowtie0069's Avatar

Title: Nova Guru
iTrader: (0)
Status: Offline
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: So. Cal.
Nova(s): 69
Posts: 10,169
Quote:
So is this the plug for "ALL VORTEC"S"?????? (style)
they say R44LTS has a .715 reach Tapper seat
http://198.208.187.182/internet/View...tNumber=r44lts


My bad! just trying to help
I think it's more my bad---I missed a digit on the 44 you posted, that one is closer than the one he was using. But, he's still looking for a plug with a short body to clear his headers, and I don't think there are many choices out there. If it was mine, I'd fix the pipe so I could run the plug of my choice.
__________________
69 Nova 410" small block-Driven to track
6.39 E.T./105 MPH--6.11/112.89 w/N2O
bowtie0069.fotki.com/
  Reply With Quote
Old 29th-March-2008, 11:00 AM   #12
The Big Al
 
The Big Al's Avatar

Title: Nova Guru
iTrader: (113)
Status: Offline
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Hickory, NC
Nova(s): 68ss, 70ss (SOLD)
Posts: 15,938
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtie0069 View Post
I think it's more my bad---I missed a digit on the 44 you posted, that one is closer than the one he was using. But, he's still looking for a plug with a short body to clear his headers, and I don't think there are many choices out there. If it was mine, I'd fix the pipe so I could run the plug of my choice.
i have to loosen my header with the AFR heads.

If your in good tuning you have no worry after getting heat range right.
plugs should go a year easy!

IMO!!!

AL

If it's a 4 barl, that baby if on A/C plug is getting a 44 and mostly a 45!!!! If Big Al holding the wrench!!!
__________________

“The bitterness of poor quality & Service remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”
  Reply With Quote
Old 29th-March-2008, 11:29 AM   #13
stock z/28

Title: Nova Guru
iTrader: (0)
Status: Offline
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: lafayette In
Posts: 3,416
I think there was tread earlier on Vortec plugs.

I do agree that all I have ever used take the long plug.


And I always worry about heat range selection, it may be the difference in detonation or not.


I personally hate Accel plugs, and I would not use them if they were given to me. I have seen nothing but trouble with them but this is just my personal opinion, they may be great.


As mike said (Bowtie 00069) I would resolve the header issue to use a proper plug.


Oh and Bowtie, I listed the piston and rod length/weight variations in another thread here. Maybe somebody can link it, but I dont really know how.


Jeff
  Reply With Quote
Old 29th-March-2008, 11:49 AM   #14
Shuboxchevy
 
Shuboxchevy's Avatar

Title: Nova Junior Member
iTrader: (0)
Status: Offline
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Pensacola, FL
Posts: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtie0069 View Post
I think it's more my bad---I missed a digit on the 44 you posted, that one is closer than the one he was using. But, he's still looking for a plug with a short body to clear his headers, and I don't think there are many choices out there. If it was mine, I'd fix the pipe so I could run the plug of my choice.
You said it! Stock plug won't help me much. I only HAVE to use the shorty plug for the number 5 cyl though. The plug boot will contact the header if I don't. Can't really fix the header. I would have to buy different ones. I suppose thats an option, but would involve some serious research.

SO, do you think there is any foul (ha, i made a funny) in using 7 acdelcos/ngk/etc and just the one shorty Accel???

I'm going to continue to search and see if somebody makes a shorter style.

I can't believe I'm the only one with this problem.
__________________
Ryan

66 Chevy II Sedan 100
L31 350 / Iron Vortec heads
Comp XE270HR cam
  Reply With Quote
Old 29th-March-2008, 11:51 AM   #15
NovatoriusRex
 
NovatoriusRex's Avatar

Title: Nova Guru
iTrader: (1)
Status: Offline
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: NW, Oregon
Nova(s): 67 Chevy II Nova Hardtop
Posts: 14,622
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuboxchevy View Post
I'm going to continue to search and see if somebody makes a shorter style.

I can't believe I'm the only one with this problem.
What header (size & make) are you using??

On my vortec heads, I'm using Hedman 1.5" headers with 90* boots on the plugs. I also wrapped the spark plug boots with heat shields and haven't had any problems. Using straight boots would be problematic.

I'm using the AC R43/R44 plugs.
__________________
-Brent



I want a new duck. One that won't steal my beer... - Weird Al
  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


Site best viewed set to 1024 x 768.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:28 AM.

Custom Designed for Steve's Nova Site by: vBSkinworks

 
Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Lt

Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.