Bowtie head casting number 14011034 - Chevy Nova Forum
Visit our sponsor, National Nostalgic Nova

Steve's Nova Site is an automotive enthusiast website dedicated to the 1962 - 1979 Chevrolet Nova, Chevy II and Acadian automobiles. We work together to preserve, restore, drive, show, race and provide fellowship for these classic cars. This is one of the best places to find information about parts, rebuilding, restoration and racing. This website is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or Chevrolet in any capacity.

Go Back   Chevy Nova Forum > Body, Chassis and Mechanical > Drivetrain & Performance

StevesNovaSite.com is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 17th-February-2008, 11:49 AM   #1
Bill_K

Title: Nova Senior Member
Nova(s): 1966 sedan
Bowtie head casting number 14011034

Does anyone have experience using this head? How will it perform on a street car? How does this head compare to any of the modern after market heads available today? They have 62 cc chambers, 2.02 x 1.60 valves, screw-in studs and guide plates, I do not know the runner sizes. The exhaust side seems to look a little small compared to some in my head collection. This might be a good question for Mike or Paul to comment on. I do not recall a post on this topic. Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 17th-February-2008, 01:38 PM   #2
bowtie0069

Title: Nova Guru
Nova(s): 69
I think those are the ones I used to run several years ago, but mine were ported and had 2.08 valves. I ran 10.80's with them on a high compression 406 with a huge roller cam. A friend owns them now and he runs 10.50's in a Vega.

Here's GM's description:
10134392 Phase 2 Cast Iron Bow Tie Head
The Phase 2 Bow Tie cylinder head (casting P/N 14011034) has the highest performance potential of any cast iron Chevrolet head. It is intended for off-highway applications only. Although the Phase 2 cast iron Bow Tie cylinder head has the same casting number (14011034) as the Phase 1 head it replaced, there are several significant differences between these two heavy-duty cylinder heads. The Phase 2 cast iron Bow Tie head can be identified by its redesigned outer water jacket wall with a machined bar between the exhaust manifold flanges. (Phase 1 castings have a raised parting line between the exhaust manifold flanges.) The area around the tapped water temperature sensor hole is also machined flat on the Phase 2 head. The Phase 2 Bow Tie head has a revised combustion chamber design with a true volume of 64cc's. The quench areas beneath the spark plugs are filled to increase compression in competition engines. The intake valve seats are machined for 2.02" diameter valves; the induction hardened exhaust valve seats are finished for 1.60" diameter valves. The intake and exhaust ports are identical in Phase 1 and Phase 2 cast iron Bow Tie heads. The 184cc intake runners will satisfy the airflow requirements of most competition engines while enhancing throttle response and mid-range torque. In unmodified form, the Phase 2 Bow Tie head will flow more air than any production cast iron small-block head. Extra-thick wall sections allow the ports to be enlarged to increase their flow capacity. The manifold heat riser passages are deleted in Phase 2 Bow Tie heads to produce a cool, dense intake charge.
Technical Notes: The valve spring pockets in cast iron Bow Tie heads are machined for up to 1.50" diameter competition valve springs. The rocker stud bosses are tapped for screw-in studs; studs and pushrod guideplates are not included. Use GM Performance Parts studs P/N 3973416 (3/8") or P/N 3921912 (7/16") and hardened pushrod guideplates P/N 3973418. Use 5/8" hex-head spark plugs with tapered seats and 3/8" reach. A bare casting weighs approximately 42 pounds. Valve seats are heat-treated.
Old 17th-February-2008, 01:42 PM   #3
Bill_K

Mine are definitely the phase 2 version of the head. There is no heat crossover, and the exhaust side casting parting line is milled flat along the head length. They are also angle plug.
Bill
Old 17th-February-2008, 02:23 PM   #4
The Big Al

Nova(s): 68ss, 70ss (SOLD)
If you have that part number then yes it is a phase 2 head.

It was designed and made for Racing, mostly Stock car racing.

If you go back to the original 292 angle head
this head was based off that head, and changes were made to make it stronger for the larger valve springs, and better valve seats.

It is considered one of the most durable heads for a small block Nascar Local series racing.

The head was used in the Circle Track Crate engine program 350ci sealed engines with cast iron heads before they changed to the Vortec heads.

In circle track racing were you built your own engine instead of purchasing a sealed engine and most track rules dictated you use that head. They pushed for change to the aluminum head, mostly because of ease of repair from major damage. You can weld up a aluminum head, very hard on a cast head.

Maybe someone who has done some circle track racing can remember the older cast iron head sealed engine. If I remember it was a 350/300 hp engine and had a flat tappet cam.
Now replaced by 88958602 CT350

Al

“The bitterness of poor quality & Service remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”
Old 17th-February-2008, 03:14 PM   #5
Ironman

I've run these heads for a while now. My last combination 72 nova, 3200 lbs (guess), 4.10 gear, 11.5:1 355 solid flat tappet cam, 256/.551 lift or so netted a best 11.84 at 114.

I'm curious how much difference a head change to some of the newer castings alone would improve my car.

I picked up the heads from a guy that used to run them on his stock car like Al is saying.

Last edited by Ironman; 17th-February-2008 at 03:16 PM.
Old 17th-February-2008, 03:40 PM   #6
The Big Al

Nova(s): 68ss, 70ss (SOLD)
I can tell you the heads available today are awesome.

The AFR 195cc heads are worth 50 plus HP IMO.

And thats straight bolt on HP!

Al

“The bitterness of poor quality & Service remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”
Old 17th-February-2008, 04:58 PM   #7
mikeorwan

Nova(s): Boring 11 sec. 350
Compared to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Al View Post
The AFR 195cc heads are worth 50 plus HP IMO.

And thats straight bolt on HP!

Al
Compared to which heads? Factory GM I assume, vortec, fastburn or?

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
1.587 60', 11.615 1/4
Old 17th-February-2008, 05:36 PM   #8
Bill_K

I acquired these heads from a local drag racer, he purchased two sets and sold one. I wish I had the money for the aftermarket AFR's.
Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement