Hooker Fenderwell exit headers? - Chevy Nova Forum
Visit our sponsor, National Nostalgic Nova

Steve's Nova Site is an automotive enthusiast website dedicated to the 1962 - 1979 Chevrolet Nova, Chevy II and Acadian automobiles. We work together to preserve, restore, drive, show, race and provide fellowship for these classic cars. This is one of the best places to find information about parts, rebuilding, restoration and racing. This website is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or Chevrolet in any capacity.

Go Back   Chevy Nova Forum > General > Drag Racing Forum

StevesNovaSite.com is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 22nd-January-2008, 02:08 AM   #1
62deuce

Title: Nova Senior Member
Nova(s): 1962 Nova 400
Hooker Fenderwell exit headers?

hey guys i got a question about some hooker headers for my 62 deuce that are the fenderwell exit type. is anyone running these? if anyone with experience with these headers can give me some info it would be great. It also says you can't run them with a heater??? Is there another company who makes a great header for the 62? I know the fenderwell headers look trick, but do they take away strength from your shock tower? or front end? I wanna run these, but I would like other people who have these to chime in thanks guys
4.33's
4-speed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 22nd-January-2008, 03:22 AM   #2
6471nova

Title: Nova Senior Member
Nova(s): 64 under construction
I have run a set for the last ten years on my 64.its a streetable drag car.wouldnt have it any other way. dont have the heater any more but, you can get around that. if you solder elbows on your heater core and reroute your hoses.as for the strength no weaker than it already is I think I read that in another post
Old 22nd-January-2008, 06:32 AM   #3
lisandon95386

Title: Nova Guru
Nova(s): 63ss
i have run fender headers for a long time,when you cut out the back panel,dont cut out the corners on a 90,cut out the corners on a radius,dont cut out the complete back panel,on hookers the passenger side needs to be cut out closer to the firewall,after you cut out and fit the headers,install gussets in the corners at the radius cuts,it makes a big differance,after the headers are back on make some 20 gauge panels cut out close to the primary tubes to close up the fenderwell opening,it looks a lot better don
Old 22nd-January-2008, 08:43 AM   #4
novas4life

Nova(s): '67 ChevyII 2 '64 Nova W
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6471nova View Post
I have run a set for the last ten years on my 64.its a streetable drag car.wouldnt have it any other way. dont have the heater any more but, you can get around that. if you solder elbows on your heater core and reroute your hoses.as for the strength no weaker than it already is I think I read that in another post
x2 you also might have to move your brake line 'pass through'
Old 22nd-January-2008, 09:34 AM   #5
jolietjake

Nova(s): 1962 Chevy II 300
These headers are pushin 40 years old, I had them ceramic coated about a year ago.
before,,

after,,,

Old 22nd-January-2008, 09:49 AM   #6
Mike Goble

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolietjake View Post
These headers are pushin 40 years old, I had them ceramic coated about a year ago.
Are those Thorley headers?
Old 22nd-January-2008, 01:54 PM   #7
jolietjake

I don't know for sure Mike, they have been on the car since 68,69, 70? they were on the car when I bought it around 1974. Two cousins and another guy owned the car at different times before me and they were on it when they had it. There is no label or other markings on them, sorry.
Old 22nd-January-2008, 02:34 PM   #8
lisandon95386

Nova(s): 63ss
those are thorly headers on that car,i have a set of those that iam not useing,those are the only headers that dont block the heater hoses,1 5/8 tubes to a 3 inch collector
don
Old 22nd-January-2008, 03:53 PM   #9
jolietjake

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisandon95386 View Post
those are thorly headers on that car,i have a set of those that iam not useing,those are the only headers that dont block the heater hoses,1 5/8 tubes to a 3 inch collector
don
These headers do block the heater tubes, since I live in Florida I took off the copper "Z" tubes that went from the heater core up and over the headers to the block. That is, unless there is a set of headers that block them even more.???
Old 27th-January-2008, 09:33 PM   #10
FastED

Title: Nova Newbie
Nova(s): 66 chevy II, SS
I am in the process of installing a set of Hooker Fenderwell headers on a 66. One side is done, working on the other side this week sometime. Had to cut more than I wanted too on the fenders. I think cutting on this part of the fender is safe. I have seen lots of them at the track, pulling the wheels and hitting hard with no issues. I will reply about the heater issues when I get that side done. Did do a test fit on sbc on the stand and think it will work with the heater "close"..
383 TPI Accel SuperRam, TH700r, GM ECU, 10 bolt posi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement