Home Made Paint Booth - Chevy Nova Forum
Visit our sponsor, National Nostalgic Nova

Steve's Nova Site is an automotive enthusiast website dedicated to the 1962 - 1979 Chevrolet Nova, Chevy II and Acadian automobiles. We work together to preserve, restore, drive, show, race and provide fellowship for these classic cars. This is one of the best places to find information about parts, rebuilding, restoration and racing. This website is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or Chevrolet in any capacity.

Go Back   Chevy Nova Forum > Body, Chassis and Mechanical > Body and Interior

StevesNovaSite.com is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 8th-January-2008, 11:09 AM   #1
tnblkc230wz

Title: Nova Guru
Nova(s): 1971 Nova
Home Made Paint Booth

I'm trying to get the outside of the car primed this Saturday. I plan to frame a booth in my garage and cover it with plastic. I purchased a furnace fan on eBay that moves about 1600 CFM of air, so I should be able to keep it vented.

Should I push air into the booth or suck air out of the booth? I will have filters on the intake and exhaust side. Just not sure which way is best. Looking for any advice
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 8th-January-2008, 12:25 PM   #2
Seattle_Mike

Title: Moderator
You want to pull air out...I hope you live out in the country or your neighbors probably won't be too happy with the toxic fumes etc., let alone Johnny Law. It's bigtime fines up here if you get caught spraying without a proper setup.
Old 8th-January-2008, 12:32 PM   #3
63 Chevy II

Nova(s): 63 Chevy II Nova 4-door.
x2 on the legal side of things. Definetly suck air out.
Old 8th-January-2008, 12:36 PM   #4
tnblkc230wz

Thanks for the advice. People are pretty cool where I'm at. I will have a filter and can put a carbon filter on my fan. It will definitely help with the overspray and some with the fumes.
Old 8th-January-2008, 03:48 PM   #5
tnblkc230wz

Does anyone know of a good filter to put on my fan? I have a 20 X20 inch opening.
Old 8th-January-2008, 07:56 PM   #6
1971novaSS

One recomendation, I wouldn't use the plastic sheeting to make the booth out of.

Ive tried this, and the results are not so good.

What happens with the plastic is that it creates a light static charge and collects dust like crazy! Then if you so much as fart in the booth it will project dust into the air and onto your paint.

Primer might not be that big of an isue, but when you go to lay down the good stuff i wouldn't recomend it.

If you are going to be painting in the garage, then clean the floor and lay old sheets over everything that is surrounding the area, Tool boxes.... work benches... ect.

Just my .02 $
Old 8th-January-2008, 08:07 PM   #7
tsimpson

Nova(s): 73 SS 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971novaSS View Post
One recomendation, I wouldn't use the plastic sheeting to make the booth out of.

Ive tried this, and the results are not so good.

What happens with the plastic is that it creates a light static charge and collects dust like crazy! Then if you so much as fart in the booth it will project dust into the air and onto your paint.

Primer might not be that big of an isue, but when you go to lay down the good stuff i wouldn't recomend it.

If you are going to be painting in the garage, then clean the floor and lay old sheets over everything that is surrounding the area, Tool boxes.... work benches... ect.

Just my .02 $
And wet the floor down. That will keep the dirt and dust down.
Old 8th-January-2008, 08:15 PM   #8
71SS454

Nova(s): 71 Nova 427 72 Ventura
Also, that fan, is it belt driven? You don't want to be pulling flamable solvent fumes thru an electric motor, it's like a homemade bomb waiting to go off.

Good rock and roll music should corrupt the young, it should corrupt them enough to think for themselves.
Old 8th-January-2008, 11:48 PM   #9
tnblkc230wz

The fan is not belt driven. I will put a good filter and a carbon filter on it. I was thinking that would be sufficient to reduce the fumes before they get to the motor. Also, I'm moving enough air through the booth, I don't think the fumes will get that concentrated. A belt drive fan would still have its motor exposed to the fumes. There would have to be holes for the belt which expose the motor to fumes.

For plastic, I plan to use 3M masking plastic. That's suppose to be anti-static. Do you think that will work? I don't have that many old sheets.
Old 9th-January-2008, 07:53 AM   #10
Novajay

Here are some older threads about garage painting:
http://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums...ht=paint+booth

This guy did his paint under one of those temporary garage thingies. Looks like the car was parked on concrete.

Start at page 3 of this thread and you can see how he set up his garage...

There was yet another thread that had a photo where someone set up electric box fans (2 or 3 IIRC) in a partially opened garage door. The guy even discussed the paint fume volatility. Can't find the thread...

I want to paint in my 1 car garage but it's attached to the house, so paint fumes getting inside is a major concern. May end up going to a shop.

Hope this trip down memory lane helps everyone.
Old 12th-January-2008, 01:27 AM   #11
Seattle_Mike

A lot of body shops will rent out their spray booths on weekends etc. It would save a lot of work and mess, and probably provide a much cleaner environment for painting. You will need to ensure you have a very clean air system as well that removes all moisture from the compressor air or it will make a mess of your paint.
Old 12th-January-2008, 11:13 AM   #12
tnblkc230wz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle_Mike View Post
A lot of body shops will rent out their spray booths on weekends etc. It would save a lot of work and mess, and probably provide a much cleaner environment for painting. You will need to ensure you have a very clean air system as well that removes all moisture from the compressor air or it will make a mess of your paint.
Any recommendations on line dryers? I have a water separator on my tank, but I do get occassional moisture in my sander. I plan to buy a new air hose as the one I'm using is 17 years old. I've also bought plastic water filters from Sharpe that attach to the input of the spray gun.
Old 12th-January-2008, 07:47 PM   #13
71SS454

Nova(s): 71 Nova 427 72 Ventura
Get a desacent hose, They attach to your compressor, then your air hose connects to it. They work pretty well, and much better than cheap water traps from hardware stores.

Good rock and roll music should corrupt the young, it should corrupt them enough to think for themselves.
Old 13th-January-2008, 02:32 AM   #14
gfercaks33

Nova(s): 1973, 2 door coupe,350,350th tranny
novajay thank you i have been looking for that 3 thread you posted for a cool min
Old 13th-January-2008, 03:02 AM   #15
tnblkc230wz

I did my garage like Argranda did his except I was able to pull the garage door down and run my fan. I only need the door open about 10 inches for the fan to blow out and I block the rest of the opening. I was pulling air from an open window in third bay. Finally primed! Well the body is anyway. Waiting on the frenders, doors and trunk to come back from being soda blasted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement