Ladder bars on 1st gen stock frame? - Chevy Nova Forum
Visit our sponsor, National Nostalgic Nova

Steve's Nova Site is an automotive enthusiast website dedicated to the 1962 - 1979 Chevrolet Nova, Chevy II and Acadian automobiles. We work together to preserve, restore, drive, show, race and provide fellowship for these classic cars. This is one of the best places to find information about parts, rebuilding, restoration and racing. This website is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or Chevrolet in any capacity.

Go Back   Chevy Nova Forum > General > Drag Racing Forum

StevesNovaSite.com is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 22nd-September-2007, 10:46 PM   #1
1964novass

Title: Nova Senior Member
Nova(s): 1964 Nova SS
Ladder bars on 1st gen stock frame?

Has onyone out there installed a ladder bar setup on a 1st gen with stock rear frame rails? I was thinking of installing a ladder bar setup, but I am wondering if I really have to put the 2x3 frame rails and everything in. I was wondering if I could just weld in plates or a piece of angle to the outside of the stock frame rails to mount the upper shock mount brace. Could I tie the front mount of the ladder bars into my subframe connectors?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 23rd-September-2007, 09:18 AM   #2
gg64ss

Title: Nova Guru
Nova(s): Sold my 64' and I miss it
I think you could make it work. What size tire are you planning on running? Have you looked at Caltracs?

02' Camaro SS still in the works. 381ci 18*SBC BW S500X 88mm turbo
Old 23rd-September-2007, 09:41 AM   #3
Real McCoy

Title: Moderator
You can use the stock rails if you want too. The ladder bars will be about 32 inches long so measure and see where the crossmember needs to go. The better question might be where/how is the best place/way to install a ladder bar crossmember if I want to do? A big tire stick shift drag car may tear up your stock frame where a smaller tire street car may be fine. RM

2010 PRTA 5.30 Index Champion
Old 23rd-September-2007, 10:08 AM   #4
novas4life

Nova(s): '67 ChevyII 2 '64 Nova W
i have ladder bars and coil overs on stock frame rails. the crossmember is connected between the subframe connectors.The subframe connectors are attached to the rockers with outriggers.And the roll cage is mounted to the outriggers and a point on the subframe connector.If i was to do it over. I would use a knotched straight crossmember instead of the c.e. round bent one. The drop is pretty low and gets snagged on things.
brandon
Old 23rd-September-2007, 10:38 AM   #5
shawn63

Here's a link to TCI's 4 link in case you haven't eeen it before; Heidts also has one. Although these are 4 links I'd think you could do a ladder bar setup simularily.
http://www.totalcostinvolved.com/pro...cfm?prodID=227
Old 23rd-September-2007, 08:51 PM   #6
1964novass

Nova(s): 1964 Nova SS
Thanks for the info guys! I minitubbed my car and I just bought a rear with all of the ladder bar stuff on it. SO, I am trying to decide whether I want to go with Caltracs or the ladder bar setup. I drive my car on the street and race it. The rear tire I plan to run is 28 x11.5. I think I might ditch the ladder bars and go with the Caltracs. I already bought the split monos and rear sliders a while back. I just need to fabricate the front mounts for the leaf springs and rear mounts for the sliders.
Old 23rd-September-2007, 10:00 PM   #7
gg64ss

Nova(s): Sold my 64' and I miss it
I sent you a PM. I am running the split mono's with Caltracs. I'm also running a set of Rancho adj. shocks. I really have not had enough passes to make that many adjustments. I hope the weather clears here so I can get back to it.

02' Camaro SS still in the works. 381ci 18*SBC BW S500X 88mm turbo
Old 24th-September-2007, 06:10 AM   #8
mrhockey

Stick with the Cal-Tracs.
Old 24th-September-2007, 03:19 PM   #9
D-Man

I did a set of ladder bars on a 69 Camaro a little while back with mono-leafs. A simple set of housing floaters and a front crossmember. Done. The car would turn 1.32 to 1.35 60' times with 29x10.5 slicks on any track we took it to!! Easy to set up and fine tune. Depending on what rear you've got, make sure the housing tubes are welded to the center section because the ladder bars also turn the rear-end housing into an anti roll bar.
Old 27th-September-2007, 04:57 PM   #10
Roger_that

Title: Nova Junior Member
Nova(s): 1962 2 dr
Ladder Bars

I put Chassis works ladders in my 62 ChevyII. Along with a 9" and coil overs. mini tubbed it, Using 26x11.5x15 MT Cheaters under the rear
Sponsored Links
Advertisement