flaring out fender wells? - Chevy Nova Forum
Visit our sponsor, National Nostalgic Nova

Steve's Nova Site is an automotive enthusiast website dedicated to the 1962 - 1979 Chevrolet Nova, Chevy II and Acadian automobiles. We work together to preserve, restore, drive, show, race and provide fellowship for these classic cars. This is one of the best places to find information about parts, rebuilding, restoration and racing. This website is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or Chevrolet in any capacity.

Go Back   Chevy Nova Forum > Body, Chassis and Mechanical > Body and Interior

StevesNovaSite.com is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 18th-July-2007, 08:54 PM   #1
streetthunder

Title: Nova Junior Member
flaring out fender wells?

i have a 69 coupe, and im trying to get it to sit way lower, the modern muscle car look. im tucking 11" wide hoosiers with a 13" bulge under the fenders, i need to get the fenders to flare OUT about a 1-1/2 maybe 2".
also was thinking about cutting out the outside of the inner fenderwell to give me more room.
anyideas? i cant afford to mini-tub, and dont want to go that route anyway.

"Here´s the answer, and the wife is back home in Sweden ;D (the chicks is like flies to a candy)"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 18th-July-2007, 10:26 PM   #2
Nova350SS

Nova(s): 70 Nova SS
Personally and just my opinion I would never, ever cut,hack any parts of my Nova's rear wheel wells for any size tire that would be "oversize". That is not my thing and I cringe everytime I hear someone taking that route to fit super large tires underneath the car. How is the condition of your rear quarter panels, and wheel houses,etc.?? If they are in bad shape, then maybe it's worth doing a mod, but if they in great shape with no rust and are original with the spotwelds still showing and the lips aren't turned up, I would just live with what GM fitted these Novas with originally...remember just my opinion.
Old 18th-July-2007, 10:35 PM   #3
batman09

Title: Nova Guru
Nova(s): 1967 Ht & 1962 wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetthunder View Post
i have a 69 coupe, and im trying to get it to sit way lower, the modern muscle car look. im tucking 11" wide hoosiers with a 13" bulge under the fenders, i need to get the fenders to flare OUT about a 1-1/2 maybe 2".
also was thinking about cutting out the outside of the inner fenderwell to give me more room.
Don't do it!!!very 1970's IMO and it ruins the car.bm

1967 Nova-----Ls3/4L70e
Old 18th-July-2007, 10:46 PM   #4
steve1966

Nova(s): 67 2dr Sedan
I have to agree with these guys dont do it. Fit the biggest tire you can without cutting into the car.
Old 18th-July-2007, 11:08 PM   #5
tnblkc230wz

Nova(s): 1971 Nova
You should be able to get a 255 (10 inch) tires without cuting. With careful measuring and proper rim offset, some people have gotten 275s on 3rd gens. These cars are not all the same so sometimes 275s almost (11 inch) won't fit. If you will give up an inch, you can save yourself a lot of work and future frustrations.

You really can't cut the inner fender wells without installing tubs of some type. Otherwise, you will have big holes in to the trunk. The inner fender wells also hold up parts of the trunk floor and other parts of the car. Minitubs will also require offset shackles, mods to the trunk floor, different gas tank, and relocating the spring perches on the axles.
Old 19th-July-2007, 12:21 AM   #6
streetthunder

but you see, its only a 1" or so. the fender wells are really dinged and bent up. and WAVY. no rust and nice paint {but it could be covered up.} but im thinking when there flared they might fix the dings.
i was just asking for ideas, my friend says a body hammer. so maybe im going to find someone with a good amount of experience to help me.

"Here´s the answer, and the wife is back home in Sweden ;D (the chicks is like flies to a candy)"
Old 19th-July-2007, 01:59 AM   #7
Bscman

Nova(s): '72 2-door
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnblkc230wz View Post
Minitubs will also require offset shackles, mods to the trunk floor, different gas tank, and relocating the spring perches on the axles.
Not necessarily. You can easily gain an extra inch or so of tire clearance by relocating the shocks to the INSIDE of the springs and doing a little trimming on the inner wheel-well. Cutting a seam and welding in a 1-2" wide filler piece is all the is required.
Here's a linky to see a little more of what I'm talking about.

IMHO, do whatever the heck you want to the car. There are thousands of nova's out there...most of which were just base model, run 'em into the ground and junk 'em type cars. The essence of hot-rodding is tweaking your ride to fit your style and your needs. If you need more tire to go fast, you need to start tweaking to fit more tire.

Now, if its a numbers matching limited production type car...ya better think long and hard before getting out that torch. There are probably better candidates out there where the value won't be affected by cutting and welding.

But please, don't flare out the rear quarters...looks tacky and will absolutely kill the re-sale of your car. Nobody wants that look anymore. At least a mini-tub (especially if done well) won't really affect the price of an every-day run of the mill nova. In fact, if don't right, I'd view it as a plus (a 255 in the stock wells isn't big enough, LOL)

Last edited by Bscman; 19th-July-2007 at 02:02 AM.
Old 19th-July-2007, 02:18 AM   #8
KEITH'S75CUSTOM

Nova(s): 64 chevy II nova 400 moor door
i agree dont doit i think 10 inch tires are plenty big enough

64 chevyII 400 nova 4 Door 283 & powerglide
'75 NOVA 4 DOOR CUSTOM GONE
'77 NOVA 4 DOOR GONE
Old 19th-July-2007, 09:29 AM   #9
Novaboy-73

Title: Nova Senior Member
Nova(s): 73, 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova350SS View Post
Personally and just my opinion I would never, ever cut,hack any parts of my Nova's rear wheel wells for any size tire that would be "oversize". That is not my thing and I cringe everytime I hear someone taking that route to fit super large tires underneath the car. How is the condition of your rear quarter panels, and wheel houses,etc.?? If they are in bad shape, then maybe it's worth doing a mod, but if they in great shape with no rust and are original with the spotwelds still showing and the lips aren't turned up, I would just live with what GM fitted these Novas with originally...remember just my opinion.
Agreed.

We have a 74 Nova in Winnipeg, and the dude had his rear fenders flared. What a horrible sight, not to mention it looked so out-of-place.

After years of teasing and us laughing at him, he has replaced the quarters & wheel wells ...
74 Olds Omega, (SloMega)
Old 19th-July-2007, 10:01 AM   #10
streetthunder

there only going to be flared enough to give me clearance to drop the car, my goal is to make it BARELY noticable if at all. ive seen it done at a show i just went to, but the guy was nowhere to be found.
my axle/rims are already setup for the width i have, and being 16 and bills already slaughtering my wallet every month {insurance, cell phone, other car payment} i cant afford to go the minitub route.

Old 19th-July-2007, 11:52 AM   #11
Bscman

Quote:
being 16 and bills already slaughtering my wallet every month {insurance, cell phone, other car payment} i cant afford to go the minitub route.
Do you know how to weld, or have friends/family that can weld for you?
Llike I mentioned above, a DIY mini-tub for an extra inch or two of clearance can be done for under $50...just takes some time.
A piece of square tubing wide enough to fit between your frame rails to make a new upper shock mount to relocate your shocks to the inside of the springs.

Rather than buying new tubs, just widen the ones you've already got by cutting a seam and welding in an inch or two of new metal...remember, at some point there were people that were forced to make their own "mini tub" kits because there wasn't anyone out there mass producing them. A little ingenuity goes a long ways. After all, this is hotrodding--tweaks are required.

(Picture borrowed from http://iola.com/71nova/mini-tub.html )

As you can see, you don't necessarily have to buy new wheel wells to get the job done.

Last edited by Bscman; 19th-July-2007 at 12:01 PM.
Old 19th-July-2007, 12:16 PM   #12
streetthunder

yessir i can weld. that looks like what ill be doing soon. see not only do i need that extra inch in, but i need to go Out too.
my shocks are already relocated to the inside of the frame rail, i made my own crossmember and shock setup. plus it was very easy with the caltrac setup i run.
just need that inch and a half out, id take a pic of exactly what i mean now, but the third member is back to currie for replacement because they screwed up my order. so my wheels and axles are out.
mainly, i need to get rid of the exterior of the fenderwell, or make it so it does not angle in as much. my friend keeps screaming body hammers at me, so maybe thats what ill try.

Old 19th-July-2007, 07:53 PM   #13
Steve340

Nova(s): 1970 406, glide, 4.88
Id cut the wells bigger like the old gassers

before id flare them, flaring looks so 70's abortion crap, remember the camaros vettes, and yes a nova or 3 with those horrid california flares on that back

Sorry, I threw up in my mouth a little bit thinking about it

I ran a G-50 under my 70 with backspaced wheels, looked great

My 68 has decent sized tires fill the wells, but not drag tires for sure
Old 19th-July-2007, 08:24 PM   #14
Bscman

Quote:
just need that inch and a half out, id take a pic of exactly what i mean now, but the third member is back to currie for replacement because they screwed up my order. so my wheels and axles are out.
Rather than permanantly tweaking your quarter panels, and making them look like GARBAGE, why not mini tub as I suggested above and get correctly backspaced wheels that fit nicely in the modified tubs?

I'd rather spend a few $$$ on new wheels than end up having to spend a few grand replacing and repainting quarter panels since I screwed em up whaling on them with a body hammer.
Old 19th-July-2007, 11:22 PM   #15
74 hatchback

Nova(s): 74 NOVA HATCHBACK
Quote:
hey man you just asked the million dollar question and here is your answer, im almost finished! if you want details let me know, ill post more pics soon. by the way those are fender openings if you didnt notice.
Advertisement