'67 Steering Column Bearing - Chevy Nova Forum
Visit our sponsor, National Nostalgic Nova

Steve's Nova Site is an automotive enthusiast website dedicated to the 1962 - 1979 Chevrolet Nova, Chevy II and Acadian automobiles. We work together to preserve, restore, drive, show, race and provide fellowship for these classic cars. This is one of the best places to find information about parts, rebuilding, restoration and racing. This website is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or Chevrolet in any capacity.

Go Back   Chevy Nova Forum > Body, Chassis and Mechanical > Steering, Suspension, and Chassis

StevesNovaSite.com is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 22nd-June-2007, 01:18 PM   #1
bfields

Title: Nova Newbie
'67 Steering Column Bearing

I just removed the front clip from my '67 for a TCI frame and found out the end of the steering column flops around. There is evidently a bearing that is missing.

Can anyone provide me insight on this bearing, like how do I replace it and where do I get one?

Thanks,
Brian
KC Nova Club
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 22nd-June-2007, 01:37 PM   #2
Joe Nova

Title: Nova Junior Member
Nova(s): 66 hardtop
Brian,

I got mine from Heights
Old 23rd-June-2007, 09:28 PM   #3
1BluII

Title: Nova Senior Member
Nova(s): 67 Nantucket Blue hardtop
By "the end of the steering column flops around", do you mean the shaft inside the column tube is loose, or is the entire column flopping around?

If the latter, it means you are missing the lower column mount (as was I when I bought my car, previous owner apparently felt it unnecessary) which you definitely will need with an aftermarket front clip. It's a one year only item unique to 67's, as in the years prior to that the steering shaft was a one-piece unit all the way up to the wheel, with the column going over it. I found one on Steve's site - I'm sure one of the guys on here has one, if that's what you need.

If it really is the bearing, I could be wrong, but I think you can still get the lower bearing from GM - not sure. I wimped out and bought an Ididit column...which is really nice
Old 23rd-June-2007, 10:43 PM   #4
bfields

It is the shaft that's flopping around, not the full column. Looks like I will be picking up the bearing.

But, now that you mention that, I have been wondering where this lower column mounting bracket is installed. Is it inside or outside? It came with the Heidt's adapter kit for stock '67 column to the rack-n-pinion setup. Oddest looking thing and was wondering why I needed it. Now that you mention the 'floppy column' I know why

Thanks
Old 23rd-June-2007, 10:50 PM   #5
67 Red SS

Title: Nova Junior Member
Can anyone provide me insight on this bearing, like how do I replace it and where do I get one?

Thanks,
Brian
KC Nova Club[/QUOTE]

I ran into the same problem.i could not find one and had to go to the local bike shop to get the small ball bearings to rebuild it.
Old 23rd-June-2007, 11:47 PM   #6
NovatoriusRex

Title: Nova Guru
Nova(s): 67 Chevy II Nova Hardtop

Here's a pic of the 67 lower column bearing. It's held in place by a spring clip on the end of the steering shaft. It's got a slight interference fit into that plastic housing on the bottom of the column. After removing the plastic column bearing housing, just a couple of whacks with a small punch & hammer after removing the spring clip, and the bearing will drop right out.

I bought my replacement bearing from Chevy2Only (part#38009-1). Others may have them available, but I had trouble finding listings, so I just bought it from them. It fit perfectly.

I want a new duck. One that won't steal my beer... - Weird Al
Old 24th-June-2007, 10:11 AM   #7
1BluII

Title: Nova Senior Member
Nova(s): 67 Nantucket Blue hardtop
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfields View Post
But, now that you mention that, I have been wondering where this lower column mounting bracket is installed. Is it inside or outside? It came with the Heidt's adapter kit for stock '67 column to the rack-n-pinion setup. Oddest looking thing and was wondering why I needed it. Now that you mention the 'floppy column' I know why
I've never seen the Heidts bracket, so I'm not sure on that one - the factory lower column mount goes on the inside - There are 3 (I think, maybe 4) captive nuts on the firewall to which to bolt it.
Old 26th-June-2007, 08:54 AM   #8
bfields

Thanks for your help!!

Thanks to everyone who helped me out. I did end up ordering the bearing from Chevy II Only, and there is a lower column mount already on the column, so I won't need the one from Heidt's.

Again, Thanks!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement