add-a-leafs or helper springs? - Chevy Nova Forum
Visit our sponsor, National Nostalgic Nova

Steve's Nova Site is an automotive enthusiast website dedicated to the 1962 - 1979 Chevrolet Nova, Chevy II and Acadian automobiles. We work together to preserve, restore, drive, show, race and provide fellowship for these classic cars. This is one of the best places to find information about parts, rebuilding, restoration and racing. This website is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or Chevrolet in any capacity.

Go Back   Chevy Nova Forum > Body, Chassis and Mechanical > Steering, Suspension, and Chassis

StevesNovaSite.com is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 10th-May-2007, 03:42 PM   #1
Hack Job

Title: Nova Junior Member
add-a-leafs or helper springs?

anyone run these? the back of the wagon is pretty soft and I'd like to add more cargo capacity. I was thinking I could use a helper spring or add-a-leaf. Anyone using these?

I was thinking something like the 550, but I'm not sure if this would add extra stress to the other side of the spring. Could I use the 990 or something similar on a mono-leaf?

thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10th-May-2007, 04:02 PM   #2
davidr5610

Title: Nova Guru
Nova(s): 1970 Nova, 1971 Nova
I have the 550s on my 70 Nova, it makes the back end stiffer and ride higher, but it looks like mine are on the wrong side on the spring. Oh well, it works fine for me.
Old 10th-May-2007, 06:08 PM   #3
Bscman

Title: Nova Guru
Nova(s): '72 2-door
If you're trying to RAISE the rear end, these aren't what you should be looking for. Generally, they will NOT raise the rear...they just keep the springs from excessively sagging under a heavy load.

If I were going to add any type of "helper" spring, it'd be an airbag setup. You can get a pretty decent setup for about $320, with in car adjustability (load leveling).

Something like this:
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

And these:
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

Obviously, those probably aren't the exact part #'s you would need. But they will offer ADJUSTABLE load leveling from inside the car, and if you really wanted, you could use them to lift the rear slightly above stock ride height.

Have you thought about new springs all-together? You can get some pretty good springs from $200 -- I would bet you could get something a bit stiffer in the aftermarket or custom made.
How old are your current springs?

There's also air shocks, if interested....

Add-a-leafs are a thought, but will generally RAISE your rear end higher than it currently sits. They are, however, cheap ($35 a pair).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement