difference between "acetone" "paint thinner" and "mineral spirits"? - Chevy Nova Forum
Visit our sponsor, National Nostalgic Nova

Steve's Nova Site is an automotive enthusiast website dedicated to the 1962 - 1979 Chevrolet Nova, Chevy II and Acadian automobiles. We work together to preserve, restore, drive, show, race and provide fellowship for these classic cars. This is one of the best places to find information about parts, rebuilding, restoration and racing. This website is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or Chevrolet in any capacity.

Go Back   Chevy Nova Forum > Body, Chassis and Mechanical > Body and Interior

StevesNovaSite.com is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 22nd-April-2007, 08:28 AM   #1
Scooter

Title: Nova Guru
Nova(s): 1964 Chevy II 4-Door
difference between "acetone" "paint thinner" and "mineral spirits"?

I've seen all three of these in paint stores and wonder what the difference is, from what I've used, they seem to be the same thing.

-Aaron
Advertisement

Old 22nd-April-2007, 09:01 AM   #2
PDMD2911

Title: Nova Senior Member
Nova(s): 65 ss, 67 SS, 70 SS
I can't tell you the chemical difference, but acetone is very hot with a fast evaporation rate. Acetone will soften or lift many types of paint. Mineral spirits and paint thinner are pretty much the same thing. Both are slower dying, mild solvents for reducing enamels and varnish. When it comes to cost, paint thinner is usually cheaper.

I always have a gallon of both in the shop and at home.
Old 22nd-April-2007, 12:24 PM   #3
CDJr

Ya, I think acetone is the "strongest", itll melt a lotta stuff. I like laquer thinner for general purpose cleaning, etc, I buy it in 5-gallon cans lol. Mineral spirits, on the other hand, is fairly weak for use with automotive paints IMO. As far as their makeup, Im sure they share some common ingredients and like PDMD said, they definitely have very different evaporation rates.
Old 22nd-April-2007, 12:37 PM   #4
Scooter

Nova(s): 1964 Chevy II 4-Door
So when I wipe down a primed surface in preparation for paint, mineral spirits is best? It'll clean off any finger prints but not harm the primer?

But for cleaning greasy things like drivetrain or suspension things, acetone will cut the grease best?

I know I've put either acetone or paint thinner in a plastic Taco Bell cup before and within a half hour the bottom of the cup had softened and leaked everywhere.
Old 22nd-April-2007, 01:06 PM   #5
CDJr

Ummm, I think youre on the right track, except for the acetone part for cleaning grease. By that I mean acetone is kinda overkill for grease, etc. These compounds are more suited for cleaning/removing chemicals, like paint. Grease and buildup can be removed with much less harsh solvents than acetone. I use heavy duty oven cleaner and/or common household cleaners for that. And the fact that acetone evaporates so fast would make it kinda hard to use for something like that also. I rarely use acetone, maybe for removing cured paint or something like that. I remember once I had a coffee can that I used to catch solvent run through my paint guns and I used acetone to clean one of em that I inadvertently had allowed paint to dry in I also would sometimes throw my hard plastic measuring cups in to soak while I painted. Well after adding that acetone, I threw a measuring cup in there as usual, and when I got through spraying, I went back to clean my gun and noticed the cup was gone. I thought to myself "Im sure I threw that cup in there". Then it dawned on me whatd happened lol. Sure enough, I reched down in the can and felt a glob of something similar in consistency to very soft putty
Old 23rd-April-2007, 10:06 AM   #6
TechNova

Title: Moderator
Nova(s): 73, (2) 69's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
I've seen all three of these in paint stores and wonder what the difference is, from what I've used, they seem to be the same thing.

-Aaron
The lacquer thinner you buy at the hardware store is not the same as automotive lacquer thinner. For cleaning paint guns use only the automotive.
You shouldn't be using thinner or acetone for cleaning before paint, you should be using wax and grease remover, thinners leave a film.
I have not had a need for acetone or mineral spirits in 20+ years of doing bodywork.
Old 27th-April-2007, 02:12 AM   #7
Bl_Canso_SD

Title: Nova Senior Member
Nova(s): 66 Acadian canso SD
Acetone is a distilled product used mostly for removing or breaking down oily substances ie: brake clean , and is great for removing bondo and fiberglass resin.and is basicly nail polish remover, and if you want to heal a cut in a hurry and can stand alittle pain it works great too
works great for cleaning small areas or parts , but for wiping down lacquer thinner is the way to go.
Old 27th-April-2007, 12:46 PM   #8
THE_330

Nova(s): 1966 4dr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
So when I wipe down a primed surface in preparation for paint, mineral spirits is best? It'll clean off any finger prints but not harm the primer?

But for cleaning greasy things like drivetrain or suspension things, acetone will cut the grease best?

I know I've put either acetone or paint thinner in a plastic Taco Bell cup before and within a half hour the bottom of the cup had softened and leaked everywhere.
Get some "Pre-Cleano" its like bug and tar remover, dont gob it on though just dampen a clean soft cloth and whip her down .
Old 27th-April-2007, 12:51 PM   #9
mrrepodude

I have always wiped down with denatured alcohol and have NEVER had an issue
Old 27th-April-2007, 07:23 PM   #10
THE_330

Nova(s): 1966 4dr
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrepodude View Post
I have always wiped down with denatured alcohol and have NEVER had an issue
Good stuff I forgot about that!!!
Old 27th-April-2007, 07:31 PM   #11
Sh1fter

Nova(s): 478" '63
I like 100% mineral spirits to thin One-Shot enamel and also to clean my striping brushes. Don't have the chemistry theory, but it works well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement