Full Quarter Panel installation for 62-65 Nova 2dr hardtop w/(too many) PICS - Chevy Nova Forum
Visit our sponsor, National Nostalgic Nova

Steve's Nova Site is an automotive enthusiast website dedicated to the 1962 - 1979 Chevrolet Nova, Chevy II and Acadian automobiles. We work together to preserve, restore, drive, show, race and provide fellowship for these classic cars. This is one of the best places to find information about parts, rebuilding, restoration and racing. This website is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or Chevrolet in any capacity.

Go Back   Chevy Nova Forum > Body, Chassis and Mechanical > Body and Interior > Best of Body and Interior

StevesNovaSite.com is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 7th-April-2007, 11:01 PM   #1
Greg_R_63

Title: Nova Guru
Nova(s): 1963 2-dr hardtop
Full Quarter Panel installation for 62-65 Nova 2dr hardtop w/(too many) PICS

In the beginning:

My quarters weren't the worst ever, but the driver's side had been hit and repaired many times, and the passenger side had old pop-riveted rust repairs, and both had a TON of bondo in them, and rippled like the high seas, so they had to go.

After the quarters are cut off, you can see the inner structure of the quarter,the outer wheel houses, and the trunk drop offs. The driver's side wheelhouse had to be pulled out some where it had been hit.

Looks bad, don't it? I would say it's pretty typical for a midwestern car that has spent time outside, and better than average for the pacific northwest, where this car spent most of its life. Always cracks me up that southwestern folks might think this car is unsalvageable, whereas northeasterners would call it 'rust-free!'

A quick once over with a nylon strip disc knocks off most of the surface rust. The green is factory primer, and I saw no need to chase that down to bare metal.

After that, we brushed master series silver rust primer over the whole area, taping off our spot welds. It will still get primer sprayed inside the quarter later, but why not do some rust treatment while you can?

One important point, it would be very easy to mangle or cut through the outer window ledge support that is welded to the sail panel (outlined), so when you are removing the original quarter, keep an eye out for it.

Months back, when I got my Dynacorn full quarters, I was less than impressed by several differences from the factory quarters http://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums...ad.php?t=40276 that I knew would have to be dealt with. The body guy was quick to point
out that the differences from the quarters on my hardtop are probably there to make them work with convertibles and sedans as well. Keep in mind that aftermarket parts are often made as a one-size-fits-all solution.

So, if you are putting full quarters on a hardtop, remember:

1) The very top inside of the door jamb, the part that has the small rectangular bumper on it, should not be removed from the car. The replacement quarter does not have it. Furthermore, you will have to cut the adjoining window notch to the correct width.

2) The replacement quarter panel has a small extra bump that sticks out at the very front corner of the quarter, projecting into the quarter window opening. I don't yet definitely know if it would interfere with the window or not, but if you want it to look factory, it has to be taken off for a hardtop.

3) The replacement quarter panel has no notch at the sail panel area. This is almost certainly to make it work with other body styles. If you want your trunk lid gap to be right, and your quarter window opening to be the right width, this has to be dealt with. Our solution was to use the cut-away part of the notch, flip it over, then weld it to the sail panel, and lap the new quarter over that, as shown.

4) Don't forget to have some means of locating your reveal window molding clip holes, if you are going to keep the reveal molding, as they are not present on the repros. We kept the old pieces as a template, and drilled new holes

After the notches are cut at the sail panels, we were amazed that the quarters did fit quite well. Gaps are pretty good, the panels were straight. If you are doing full quarters, keep your deck lid and doors on the car. It may seem obvious, but if you want to do it right, they have to be there to constantly check the gaps as you work.

The filler neck hole lined up perfectly, and the metal seems to be reasonably thick, not flimsy.

You can see that the gaps are pretty good, though not perfect, with the quarters mocked up and held in place with a few screws, but as they are clamped and screwed for final welding, try to push and pull them as necessary to optimize the gaps. This is where the art and experience of doing dozens or hundreds of quarter panels really comes into play. I guess it goes without mentioning that in order to hang quarters, you have to have the doors, (with good hinges, I replaced one of my lowers before starting this) and deck lid on the car to constantly check the gaps.

After mocking them up many times and making adjustments, We drilled holes all around where the plug welds will go, welded 'em in, and ground down the welds.

Some amount of filler is always necessary when you get to the blocking stage, but overall the Dynacorn full quarters were proclaimed 'Way above average' for aftermarket sheet metal. Don't come after me if you get a bad one though. I wouldn't be surprised to see them vary widely. I ended up getting mine from http://www.justsheetmetal.com

They're not in primer yet, but they're hung, and they fit, so there you go. I'm pretty jazzed to have a major part of the sheet metal work done! Hope it helps someone going through the same process. Next: Door skins!

Last edited by Greg_R_63; 8th-April-2007 at 11:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 7th-April-2007, 11:28 PM   #2
66 BADBOY

Title: Moderator
Nova(s): 5 all in 1
Awesome post!!!! Very detailed pictures and great explanations. Hopefully you saved some other guys some work by showing what to look out for. Great job.
Old 7th-April-2007, 11:34 PM   #3
bkhotrod

Title: Nova Senior Member
Nova(s): 1963 coupe, 62 sedan
Looks Good, I Just Went Through The Same Process, Had The Same Issues As You But I Am Happy Overall, Still Have To Grind All The Welds Down And Do The Finish Body Work , But The Hard Part Is Done, As Far As The The Dii Quarters, I Had Got One Bad One And Had To Send It Back For Replacement, It Was Just Not Right , But They Worked With Me....., I Will Try To Get Some Pics Posted Soon
Old 8th-April-2007, 04:38 AM   #4
kdawgmfic

Title: Nova Senior Member
Nova(s): '65 4Door
This is one heck of a post, hats off bro. I hate to even add this comment as it clutters, but I couldn't resist.

THANKS,
Kenneth

LSX Rally Point
Old 8th-April-2007, 09:27 AM   #5
Wogs64SS

Nova(s): 1964 Nova SS
all I'm getting is the dreaded red x

NNN#9160
Old 8th-April-2007, 10:04 AM   #6
TerryT

Nova(s): 1966 Hdtp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wogs64SS View Post
all I'm getting is the dreaded red x
Me too! Like to see the how to's.
Old 8th-April-2007, 12:11 PM   #7
Greg_R_63

Ha! You guys broke my bandwidth. I knew I had too many pictures. They should be back now.
Old 8th-April-2007, 12:16 PM   #8
Carl Stevenson

How about adding this one to the "best of" section along with your floor pan writeup?

VERY good thread, thanks. I don't plan on having to do my quarters, but it sure is fun to see the how-to of it.
Old 8th-April-2007, 12:46 PM   #9
Greg_R_63

One of the few positives of having all this work to do on the car is being able to help others in the process, so I'm glad to do it. Carl added some great progress pics to the floor pan thread, and if anyone wants to add to this one, feel free.
Old 8th-April-2007, 02:01 PM   #10
Greg_R_63

acd65post sent me this in PM:

Quote:
Is there supposed to be a separate inside quarter piece that runs down the front of the quarter in the door jamb?
Yes! There is an inner structural door jamb. Sorry I didn't get a better pic, but it wraps around and is attached to the interior quarter wall.

Old 8th-April-2007, 03:29 PM   #11
lz07rp

Nova(s): Currently looking
Looks great. I need to tackel the same thing but I think I'm going to put it off till next winter. I'll use your pics as reference thanks for the post!!
Old 8th-April-2007, 08:43 PM   #12
TerryT

Nova(s): 1966 Hdtp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_R_63 View Post
Ha! You guys broke my bandwidth. I knew I had too many pictures. They should be back now.
I still have the red boxes that show nothing. How are you guys viewing the pics?
Old 8th-April-2007, 08:53 PM   #13
Greg_R_63

If you connect with AOL, I know that they don't give you a real time version of the internet, only a cached one. Bottom line is, check back in a while, hit refresh, and they will show up.
Old 8th-April-2007, 09:55 PM   #14
acd65post

Nova(s): 65 Two Door Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_R_63 View Post
acd65post sent me this in PM:

Yes! There is an inner structural door jamb. Sorry I didn't get a better pic, but it wraps around and is attached to the interior quarter wall.

After I sent you the pm I went out to the garage and checked the passenger side of the car .The passenger side is original to the car.The inner structure only looks to be a small piece that holds the door latch bracket.
The car is a 65 two door post.I am wondering if post cars are different in this area ?
Old 8th-April-2007, 10:22 PM   #15
just chevy

Title: Readers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by acd65post View Post
After I sent you the pm I went out to the garage and checked the passenger side of the car .The passenger side is original to the car.The inner structure only looks to be a small piece that holds the door latch bracket.
The car is a 65 two door post.I am wondering if post cars are different in this area ?
my 66 2dr hard top looks just like that, has the same piece you have marked in red
Sponsored Links
Advertisement