Hey Tennessee boys..What's the "body farm?" - Chevy Nova Forum
Visit our sponsor, National Nostalgic Nova

Steve's Nova Site is an automotive enthusiast website dedicated to the 1962 - 1979 Chevrolet Nova, Chevy II and Acadian automobiles. We work together to preserve, restore, drive, show, race and provide fellowship for these classic cars. This is one of the best places to find information about parts, rebuilding, restoration and racing. This website is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or Chevrolet in any capacity.

Go Back   Chevy Nova Forum > Regional Chevy II/Nova Enthusiasts > South Eastern US

StevesNovaSite.com is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 30th-January-2007, 09:11 AM   #1
ProchargedchevyI

Title: Nova Guru
Nova(s): 1970 383ci - Sold :(
Hey Tennessee boys..What's the "body farm?"

Hey fellas,

The last few months I've heard a few guys mention that there is something called the "body farm" up in TN. I didn't think much of it until I saw it again in Car Craft. Apparently there are a ton classic cars that are just sitting there, some buried, some not - they're all rough, but restorable.

Have you guys ever heard of it or is it just another urban legend?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 30th-January-2007, 10:56 AM   #2
67 Deuce 4 Me

Nova(s): 67 Nova (gone) 56 Chevy 210
No i havent sorry
Old 30th-January-2007, 11:11 AM   #3
Mike Goble

There's one out here in Napa on Green Island Road. Hundreds of 40's, 50's and 60's cars sitting in a big yard.
Old 30th-January-2007, 12:45 PM   #4
DANNO

Nova(s): 72 Sedan
Here's a Body Farm in TN. Says some bodies are stuffed in trunks. Doubt this is what you're looking for, but it is interesting.

http://archives.cnn.com/2000/HEALTH/...arm/index.html

Dan (CSI anyone?)
Old 30th-January-2007, 03:15 PM   #5
Gota66

Nova(s): 1966 2DR HT
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNO View Post
Here's a Body Farm in TN. Says some bodies are stuffed in trunks. Doubt this is what you're looking for, but it is interesting.

http://archives.cnn.com/2000/HEALTH/...arm/index.html

Dan (CSI anyone?)
That's the only "body farm" I know of here in TN and you definitely don't want anything from there. They do use cars in some of their experiments though.
Old 30th-January-2007, 05:21 PM   #6
Pop-A-Top

Title: Nova Junior Member
Nova(s): '69 L48 - 4-speed, 402BB
Urban Legend? No....

The last few months I've heard a few guys mention that there is something called the "body farm" up in TN. I didn't think much of it until I saw it again in Car Craft. Apparently there are a ton classic cars that are just sitting there, some buried, some not - they're all rough, but restorable.

There is a place I know of about 50 miles west of Nashville, just off of I-40, just loaded with old cars. I recently went there in search Nova parts. No one would come to the door. I stopped at a nearby business inquiring about the junkyard and they said the old man who own's all the cars won't sell any of them. He won't even answer the door. There were old classics of all sorts, a '65 GTO was in the front yard. Since I have heard the old man is quite eccentric, perhaps even disturbed. There might be hundreds of cars strewn about his property, and he won't sell a one.......
Old 30th-January-2007, 05:53 PM   #7
JR

Nova(s): 66SS 4spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pop-A-Top View Post

There is a place I know of about 50 miles west of Nashville, just off of I-40, just loaded with old cars. I recently went there in search Nova parts. No one would come to the door. I stopped at a nearby business inquiring about the junkyard and they said the old man who own's all the cars won't sell any of them. He won't even answer the door. There were old classics of all sorts, a '65 GTO was in the front yard. Since I have heard the old man is quite eccentric, perhaps even disturbed. There might be hundreds of cars strewn about his property, and he won't sell a one.......
Where exactly is it . I might ride down there and check it out. Us Old men sometimes get along good
JR

"Ole Black Primer"
Old 30th-January-2007, 09:39 PM   #8
deuces2

Nova(s): Dozen +,1st and 2nd gen
have you ever been my uncle willies just south of union city tenn on 51 he has quite a collection of cars hes always been friendly. there is also a big junkyard up by paris tenn close by loretta lynns I seen a 2-door 55 pontiac wagon gold down & dirty and lots of vehicles all old covering the hill sides havent knocked on any doors tho
Old 31st-January-2007, 12:40 AM   #9
rich1051414

Title: Nova Newbie
if you really want to see some good finds, take your car over some back roads in the southeastern mountains of tennessee and go hiking a bit. It's the place people go to have "accidents" for insurance claims. look for reliance,TN, copperhill,TN, murphey,NC on the map, lots of great finds back in those parts, just watch out for the wierd looking banjo playing kids As far as the "body farm" is concerned, thats a field of dead bodies for decomposition research at the University of Tennessee. There actually are old beaten up classic cars there, but dead bodies are inside to see how the greenhouse effect alters docompisition. we went there in our anatomy and physiology class. hope that helps.
Old 31st-January-2007, 10:07 AM   #10
mrrepodude

I thought the "Body Farm" was a strip club in Johnson Silly...
Old 1st-February-2007, 01:39 AM   #11
Tommy

Nova(s): 1968 ChevyII SS
http://www.thefarm.org/

Probably got a few old cars buried out on this farm. It is a hippie community in Tennessee. I used to go there every single day of the week.. for about 5 years. Groovy man.. Good people, they migrated from California in a bunch of busses and vans in the 70's and settled in Summertown. Some of the busses are still in the farm "buried" .

Tommy
Old 3rd-February-2007, 10:20 AM   #12
Pick

Nova(s): In between Novas
I think the junk yard you're thinking of may be in North Georgia. There was a post here on Steve's a year or so about it. They have a website and you can see pictures of the cars they have - thousands of them - from the 30's on up. I can't find the link to it right now, but I'll keep looking.

Go fast and the wrinkles won't show.....
Old 3rd-February-2007, 10:44 AM   #13
JR

Nova(s): 66SS 4spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pick View Post
I think the junk yard you're thinking of may be in North Georgia. There was a post here on Steve's a year or so about it. They have a website and you can see pictures of the cars they have - thousands of them - from the 30's on up. I can't find the link to it right now, but I'll keep looking.
What time are you getting to the swap meet??

"Ole Black Primer"
Old 3rd-February-2007, 05:20 PM   #14
Pick

Nova(s): In between Novas
Probably between 6 and 6:30. I have a vendor's pass since I'm sharing a booth with my brother and a couple of other guys, so I can go right on in.... I did a little "early shopping," unofficially, of course today.

Go fast and the wrinkles won't show.....
Old 5th-February-2007, 11:42 PM   #15
Trbulnc

Nova(s): '69 540 w/F2 procharger
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrepodude View Post
I thought the "Body Farm" was a strip club in Johnson Silly...
Nah, that is the "Ear", Mouse's Ear, about like going to my high school reunion!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement