Aje clip arrived today..... - Chevy Nova Forum
Visit our sponsor, National Nostalgic Nova

Steve's Nova Site is an automotive enthusiast website dedicated to the 1962 - 1979 Chevrolet Nova, Chevy II and Acadian automobiles. We work together to preserve, restore, drive, show, race and provide fellowship for these classic cars. This is one of the best places to find information about parts, rebuilding, restoration and racing. This website is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or Chevrolet in any capacity.

Go Back   Chevy Nova Forum > General > Drag Racing Forum

StevesNovaSite.com is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 20th-January-2007, 08:43 PM   #1
Dragnova67

Title: Nova Guru
Aje clip arrived today.....

And I was not happy!!!!

One call to Anthony Jones and we are all squared away and I gained some cash and he gained my respect!!!!!!

Here is a pic.

Notice the original butternut yellow...???
Should I go with that color on an 8 second radial car?????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 20th-January-2007, 10:17 PM   #2
Seattle_Mike

Title: Moderator
I must be missing something...why were'nt you happy? Looks good to me.
Old 20th-January-2007, 10:19 PM   #3
1quik63

Title: Nova Junior Member
Nova(s): 63 2dr HT 65 wagon
Thats the color I have the AJE front end on my 63, I think it looks pretty good in the car.
Old 20th-January-2007, 10:22 PM   #4
jacobgiles

About time you got your freakin front clip...

why were you not happy? what was to be desired about it?

how did you manage to beat him out of a $$$?

ok, now i will hijack...got me a fuel pump yet???

Old 20th-January-2007, 10:31 PM   #5
Pragmatist

Haven't seen one of those yet. What kind of suspension does it take? And more pictures.
Old 20th-January-2007, 10:45 PM   #6
Dragnova67

I'll have more pics up tomorrow afternoon when I get home from work.

The top bars don't line up with the factory holes on the firewall.

Can I just re-drill the firewall???

The tinwork was of not so great quality and the powder coating was thin on the tinwork too.

That has been remedied though.

Anyone else have any problems with an AJE clip????
Old 20th-January-2007, 10:53 PM   #7
jacobgiles

ok....what if you came off of the A pillar bars with some font strut bars that met with the top bars of the front clip and welded a flange to the front strut bars and were able to bolt them together through the firewall???
Old 20th-January-2007, 10:58 PM   #8
Dragnova67

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobgiles View Post
ok....what if you came off of the A pillar bars with some font strut bars that met with the top bars of the front clip and welded a flange to the front strut bars and were able to bolt them together through the firewall???
I have those plates coming from AJE just for that.

Good thinking though!!!
Old 20th-January-2007, 11:01 PM   #9
jacobgiles

would you expect anything less from me???

now get me a fuel pump....no slackin....
Old 20th-January-2007, 11:25 PM   #10
1quik63

Title: Nova Junior Member
Nova(s): 63 2dr HT 65 wagon
None of the holes on mine lined up very well either. I made it all work, just a couple screw drivers here and there and it went together just fine.
Did you get the install manual? I didnt get anything with mine, just had to wing it.

Also-did you get the adjustable A arms? If you did, measure the length of the adjuster. If I remember right, the are suppose to be 7" and mine were 6". We couldn't get an alignment out of it no matter what we did, and thats what we found. It took a while to find it! After we figured it out, AJE next day aired out the correct pieces, and we were good to go.
Old 21st-January-2007, 12:54 AM   #11
Dragnova67

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1quik63 View Post
None of the holes on mine lined up very well either. I made it all work, just a couple screw drivers here and there and it went together just fine.
Did you get the install manual? I didnt get anything with mine, just had to wing it.

Also-did you get the adjustable A arms? If you did, measure the length of the adjuster. If I remember right, the are suppose to be 7" and mine were 6". We couldn't get an alignment out of it no matter what we did, and thats what we found. It took a while to find it! After we figured it out, AJE next day aired out the correct pieces, and we were good to go.

I just got the bushed a-arms as Anthony said that would be better for a "street car"

My top plate on the pass side is about 3/4" low though.....????

No manual either.....
Old 21st-January-2007, 01:10 AM   #12
Jake

I would definetly stick with the butternut! Very low key w/ a large can of whoop *****! The top bars bolt onto the firewall thru the sheetmetal to some plates with nuts welded to them. My passenger side is way off vertically. I double checked the front clip I have and it is perfect. The error is in my firewall plate. I could probably pry things around and get it together but I am actually gonna cut the plate out and move it into the correct position. It is a good idea, especially for a car of your caliber of horsepower to bring a tube off your A-pillar bars or dash bar thru the cowl area to back up the upper strut mount plate behind the firewall.
Looking forward to watching your build!
Old 21st-January-2007, 01:17 AM   #13
Dragnova67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
I would definetly stick with the butternut! Very low key w/ a large can of whoop *****! The top bars bolt onto the firewall thru the sheetmetal to some plates with nuts welded to them. My passenger side is way off vertically. I double checked the front clip I have and it is perfect. The error is in my firewall plate. I could probably pry things around and get it together but I am actually gonna cut the plate out and move it into the correct position. It is a good idea, especially for a car of your caliber of horsepower to bring a tube off your A-pillar bars or dash bar thru the cowl area to back up the upper strut mount plate behind the firewall.
Looking forward to watching your build!
Thanks!!!
I will move mine tomorrow and have Brian at Redline Racecars do whatever else it needs to be a 25.5 car in a month or two.
Old 21st-January-2007, 08:48 AM   #14
Marv D

Title: Nova Senior Member
I've got an AJE clip and all I can say is once I finally got the right pieces, I'm pretty happy with it. I had somewhat the same issue with the clip not wanting to match the upper holes in the firewall. Meaure everything CAREFULLY before you start hacking on the firewall!!!! There is not a lot of strength there, and you are going to have a hard time moving things around and getting the strength back.

I cut through the inner cowl and brought a 1-3/4" tube off the dashbar and made my own plate to back up the upper frame mount / firewall like Jake mentioned. In hind sight, I should have just cut the end off and extended the AJE tubing right on in to the A-pillar of the cage and forgot about the 'bolt on' idea.

Lets see,,, in my package AJE sent the wrong lower A-arms. The Strut/spindle structure had to be sent back to have the tie-rod eye hole corrected, The link between the tie-rod end and the rack was too short to get toe in set, and when I upgraded to the adjustable lower control arms, the wrong length adjust was sent a second time, and the aluminum inner fender panels that were supposed to be clearcoat powercoated aluminum,,, came red, but they are alumninum like I ordered. And while I was trying to figure out why my hood hinges just would not work, Jim discovered not all Chevy II's have the same hood hinge. 63-64 saw a change not accounted for in their design. Lots and lots of little headaches, but Anthony and Jim are real good to take care of the problems quickly. The biggest problem is instructions are nonexistant. If they would include some pic's and just a FEW diminsions you would have a clue if you did something wrong, or if you have the wrong parts. That part is pretty frustrating.

From what I could gather, Jim Marrow (shop forman) took the AJE Fox body frame and modified it to fit his fathers 63 Chevy II. Then a jig was made up from that. The frame and jig may be fine, but the minimum wage morons slapping things on a pallet for shipping don't have a clue if it's a rustang, Chevy-II or what. There just grabbing parts off the shelf and making a 'package'.

If you run into headaches, before you toss a hammer through the window be sure and ask here. Myself as well as the other AJE users here will be glad to send pics, measurements, or whatever it takes to make it easier.

Last edited by Marv D; 21st-January-2007 at 08:50 AM.
Old 21st-January-2007, 01:40 PM   #15
Dragnova67

I want to thank you guys that have given me reassurance.

I will be going out in a few minutes and starting on it again and if anybody wants to send pics and helpful tips feel free to do so!!!

n2onova@adelphia.net

And on the A-arms there is a little tab about 4" from the ball joint what is that for and does it face the front or rear???

Thanks again guys!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement