Rear lift shackles - Chevy Nova Forum
Visit our sponsor, National Nostalgic Nova

Steve's Nova Site is an automotive enthusiast website dedicated to the 1962 - 1979 Chevrolet Nova, Chevy II and Acadian automobiles. We work together to preserve, restore, drive, show, race and provide fellowship for these classic cars. This is one of the best places to find information about parts, rebuilding, restoration and racing. This website is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or Chevrolet in any capacity.

Go Back   Chevy Nova Forum > Body, Chassis and Mechanical > Steering, Suspension, and Chassis

StevesNovaSite.com is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 2nd-January-2007, 11:23 AM   #1
TNshadetree

Title: Nova Junior Member
Nova(s): 76
Rear lift shackles

I just installed some rear springs on my 76 Nova Hatchback. The old stockers had been sagged out for a long time and I'd used some cheap shackles to keep it at a respectable ride height. I got the 5 leaf springs from Classic industries. But when I finshed and dropped the car down I was shocked to see the rear sitting way low. My bumper is only about 10 inces off the ground.

I'd replaced the front springs about a year ago and was looking forward to having new springs all around, but now my car sits like it's got a load of gravel in the back. Changing out rear springs isn't a lot of fun, so I'm hoping someone out there supplies some shackles that a couple of inches taller so I can just change them out and be happy.

The old shackles I mentioned before aren't worth using as they are just a thin bar about an inch wide and they aren't wide enough to stablize the side forces.

Anybody know of a source for some good lift shackles?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2nd-January-2007, 11:35 AM   #2
Real McCoy

Title: Moderator
In my opinion long shackles do nothing but create other problems. Stability being the biggest issue and usually creating other problems. Can't say why your car sits low but shackles isn't the reason. I suggest you try and find out why it sags not how can I doctor up new stuff to make it work right. It should be right when installed. Just my thoughts. RM

2010 PRTA 5.30 Index Champion
Old 2nd-January-2007, 11:57 AM   #3
ktownkid

Title: Nova Junior Member
Wow.....You're the first person that used the 5 leaf set up ...and ended up lower. About every post that I've read said they raised the car up more than stock height.

You could have your springs re-arched. I think a couple guys on this forum have done that.

ktownkid
Old 2nd-January-2007, 12:05 PM   #4
Jason628

Title: Nova Guru
Nova(s): '73 Nova Custom Hatchback
Greetings,

When you installed the springs did you make sure you didn't put any preload on them? Did you set it on the ground then tighten things up? I've had friends put on springs and start tightening things while on jackstands and come up with the spring setting lower than it should because of preload.

Jason
Old 2nd-January-2007, 12:08 PM   #5
USMCNOVA

Nova(s): 1963, 1971
I would suggest staying away from the longer shackles. I used a cheep set of the "adjustable" ones from Pep Boys on my 71 and they made the rear end real unstable. Also used a set on my current build (63) one side of the original shackles was bent and the car sat real low in the rear with mono leafs. I put the new rear end in with the original monoleafs and new shocks. The adjustable shackles even in the lowest position made it sit a little higher than I wanted, so I am going back to the stock shackles. Might want to look into that idea of having the springs re-arched to achieve the ride hieght you are looking for.
Old 2nd-January-2007, 01:37 PM   #6
Bscman

Nova(s): '72 2-door
If they're new springs and they aren't sitting at the proper height, why not complain to Classic?
Maybe they sent the wrong springs?
Old 2nd-January-2007, 03:44 PM   #7
Seattle_Mike

Title: Moderator
Agree with the rest...DON'T bandaid it, fix it right. I don't know what the ride height should be, but I'm sure others here with stock ride height cars should be able to give you a ballpark number. They manufacture de-arched springs since most guys want their car to sit low unless it's a resto or whatever...maybe these were made for a lowered application. Either way, I'd find out what the OEM spec ride height is, if that's what you are going for.
Old 2nd-January-2007, 03:55 PM   #8
bowtie0069

Nova(s): 69
Quote:
I've had friends put on springs and start tightening things while on jackstands and come up with the spring setting lower than it should because of preload
That's the opposite of what will happen if you tighten things up while jacked up. When mine would start to sag, I would jack it up, loosen the spring clamps on my multi-leafs, let everything hang, then re-tighten the clamps, and let it down. I could pick up nearly 2" in ride height until it settled down a few weeks later. I was using the clamps to stiffen the front half of the spring ala Mopar Super Stock springs.
As for the new Classic springs sitting too low-Call them and tell them you are mad as hell, don't try and fix someone else's screw-up! When I first put multi-leaf replacements on mine, it was about 4" too HIGH! I'd have to say they sent you the wrong parts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement