T.C.S. Relays - Chevy Nova Forum
Visit our sponsor, National Nostalgic Nova

Steve's Nova Site is an automotive enthusiast website dedicated to the 1962 - 1979 Chevrolet Nova, Chevy II and Acadian automobiles. We work together to preserve, restore, drive, show, race and provide fellowship for these classic cars. This is one of the best places to find information about parts, rebuilding, restoration and racing. This website is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or Chevrolet in any capacity.

Go Back   Chevy Nova Forum > Body, Chassis and Mechanical > Electrical

StevesNovaSite.com is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 24th-December-2006, 04:33 PM   #1
71 Nova

Title: Nova Junior Member
Nova(s): 71 Nova 406 SB
T.C.S. Relays

Hi i was wondering what the T.C.S. Relays are for any help would be great Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 27th-December-2006, 03:24 AM   #2
Pro-touring72

Title: Nova Guru
Nova(s): 72 street fighter Ala Pro-Touring
I dont think those are for automotive use

Trip Circuit Supervision Relays
In protection systems the function of the circuit-breaker is essential. At an outage in a control circuit the primary fault will not be switched and the fault has to be cut-off with another protection relay upwards in the power distribution grid. The supervision is of the highest importance when only one trip coil is used, and when tripping of the breaker is important, e.g. a generator breaker or other important breakers in the distribution network.
Old 27th-December-2006, 08:54 PM   #3
Ray_McAvoy

Nova(s): 1974 & 1977
I believe the T.C.S. that 71 Nova is referring to is Transmission Controlled Spark. It is an emission system that was used by many auto manufacturers (including GM) during the early 70's. There are many variations, but they all have a switch on the transmission that controls a solenoid valve plumbed into the distributor vacuum advance hose. The system retards ignition timing when the transmission is in the lower gears.

Most T.C.S. systems also incorporate a temperature switch that prevents the system from operating when the engine is cold. The relay used in some of these systems is a time delay relay. I'm not entirely sure of its purpose but I think it is used to improve driveability and/or help with starting a warm engine. The Haynes repair manual says:

Quote:
After a period of approximately 20 seconds (1972 models onwards) or 15 seconds (1971 models), a time delay relay operates to open the advance unit to atmosphere. This is only effective in low gear with an engine temperature above 93F. Where the vehicle is not started within this time, the ignition must be switched off to allow the heat operated time relay to cool, or vacuum advance will be denied.
Old 27th-December-2006, 09:40 PM   #4
Philip

Title: Moderator
Nova(s): 1977
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro-touring72 View Post
I dont think those are for automotive use

Trip Circuit Supervision Relays
In protection systems the function of the circuit-breaker is essential. At an outage in a control circuit the primary fault will not be switched and the fault has to be cut-off with another protection relay upwards in the power distribution grid. The supervision is of the highest importance when only one trip coil is used, and when tripping of the breaker is important, e.g. a generator breaker or other important breakers in the distribution network.
You are correct when referring to this description. I know all about this from my 26 years working at an electric co op.
However Ray has the right answer. I still have a relay set up I removed from a 70 Chevelle. Most were removed and tossed as they were ineffective at anything except making your engine run like crap.
Old 27th-December-2006, 10:38 PM   #5
Bigd70ss

Title: Nova Senior Member
Transmission control switch. There should be a wire that goes from the coolant sensor to it..Most people take them off..They aren't used in manual cars.
Old 27th-December-2006, 10:58 PM   #6
ktownkid

Wanna bet???

ktownkid
Old 27th-December-2006, 11:06 PM   #7
john_L.

And i will raise ya 5.......
Old 27th-December-2006, 11:47 PM   #8
stock z/28

Hello.

I think they were used in stick cars. I have several muncies with a switch made into the side cover.

I think I still have a bunch of these I bought new, the solenoids I mean.

I used to use these on some tow vehicles with a switch in the passenger compartment so you could change the vacuum source from inside. It let me run a little more timing and you could use this to somewhat retard the timing if you needed. for a large grade or hill.

Sorry to ramble
Jeff
Old 28th-December-2006, 08:54 AM   #9
WILMASBOYL78

Post Tcs...

Starting in 1970 this pollution device was used on all chevy engines for several years, regardless of transmission. I have one on my 70 6 cyl. 3 spd car.....original vacuum switches for the intake manifold, especillay BB ones are hard to find. Repros are now available. Most people removed these units from performance engines and tossed them...you will often find the original firewall switch still in place on the rain gutter, the sending unit in the head and sometimes the vacuum switch still bolted to the intake. the plumbing and hoses will be gone and probably the wiring.......

wilma
Old 28th-December-2006, 09:15 AM   #10
71 Nova

Nova(s): 71 Nova 406 SB
Thanks guy's for all your help
Old 28th-December-2006, 03:55 PM   #11
shawner

Title: Nova Senior Member
Nova(s): 1971 nova 2dr ss clone of course
thanks from me too

i removed mine when converted from auto to stick and engine change. but was worried about whether i was going to have any problems without it but i have a full msd ignition without vacuum advance, so i don't think i could use it anyways
Old 28th-December-2006, 08:39 PM   #12
sthole

[QUOTE=Ray_McAvoy;419997]I believe the T.C.S. that 71 Nova is referring to is Transmission Controlled Spark. It is an emission system that was used by many auto manufacturers (including GM) during the early 70's. There are many variations, but they all have a switch on the transmission that controls a solenoid valve plumbed into the distributor vacuum advance hose. The system retards ignition timing when the transmission is in the lower gears.

this is the same thing i found out about 8 years ago. mine was broke and when i looked into it it was for the smog engines with sticks. i was able to find a new one in the box. i called GM Hobby line (when there was one) and they told me that there were so many in the box and so many not in the box in a GM warehouse i believe in the chicago area. they also told me that the one for my car was the same one used in K series pickups. the local chevy dealer had looked for one and had told me i was sol. the GM guy told me what part book and what page and what p/n, when i called the chevy guy back and told him the page and p/n, i heard him say "i'll be dipped in xxxx". i think he meant him, not me. anyway, then he orderd me one and i picked it up the next day. funny, if you look, its probably out there. best of luck!

Last edited by sthole; 28th-December-2006 at 08:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement