Bucket seat diff from 72 to 73 - Chevy Nova Forum
Visit our sponsor, National Nostalgic Nova

Steve's Nova Site is an automotive enthusiast website dedicated to the 1962 - 1979 Chevrolet Nova, Chevy II and Acadian automobiles. We work together to preserve, restore, drive, show, race and provide fellowship for these classic cars. This is one of the best places to find information about parts, rebuilding, restoration and racing. This website is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or Chevrolet in any capacity.

Go Back   Chevy Nova Forum > Body, Chassis and Mechanical > Body and Interior

StevesNovaSite.com is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 9th-November-2006, 08:59 AM   #1
Gloryhound

Title: Nova Guru
Bucket seat diff from 72 to 73

What are the differences in the high back bucket seats out of a 73 Nova and a 72 Nova?

I just bought a set of High back 73 Nova bucket seats and was wondering what all I have to change to make it look right in my 72. I think the seat tracks are the proper ones. The shape of the seat looks right. I hope 72 covers will fit them and that is all I need to make them look like the seats that should be in my 72. I know the 73 seats have plastic seat belt holders, but I am not sure if I need to eliminate these for 72 or not.

72 Nova SS from ground build
Team: Iwishmynovawasroadworthy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 9th-November-2006, 11:20 AM   #2
jmcleek

Title: Nova Senior Member
Nova(s): 74 nova
I just did this with a pair of 74 high backs that came out of a baseline Nova.
The seat frames are the same, all though the cushion units may differ depending on weather is a base model or custom/ss. Base model seat where flat vinyl with maybe a belt across the back ,and a vinyl back panel. Custum / ss have a rowe and tuck cover with a plasic bach panel. The cushions are knot inerchangeable between the two cover tipes
Old 9th-November-2006, 11:39 AM   #3
Gloryhound

So is the seat foam for a 72 interchangable with the seat frame out of a 73 as long as I use new seat covers also? Did 72 Nova buckets have a plastic back or vinyl back? I notice most vendors sell plastic backs, but they are 69-71 backs or 68 backs. I have not seen a vender sell a back for 72+ seats unless it says something like 69-72 which I think is a typo or mistake on thier part.

Old 9th-November-2006, 12:07 PM   #4
taz3

Title: Moderator
Nova(s): 2 69 SS BB L78's & 69 4dr
72 up have the vinyl backs with a zipper up the center I think ,same as Camaro.

Old 9th-November-2006, 03:34 PM   #5
jmcleek

The covers I used for a 72 were open in the back and needed the plastic back panel . I bought new covers,seat foam and back panels for my seats. I had to make a bracket that the back panel hooks to and the cover rings to at the top. Back panels and foam for these seats is listed as 71-77camaro parts with some venders.

Last edited by jmcleek; 9th-November-2006 at 03:47 PM.
Old 9th-November-2006, 05:13 PM   #6
Gloryhound

OK! I got one for a zippered back and one for a hard plastic back in a 72 Nova with bucket seats. I'm starting to get confused. Did they change it 1/2 way through the year? Does someone have a 72 bucket seat car that still has the origional bucket seats that can say which way it is?

A and E body cars had a strato bucket option which could have a detatchable head rest according to my Fisher body manual. The X and F bodies did not have that option. The strato bucket had the seat latch release on the center upper back of the seat while the ones used in X and F bodies had it down next to the outboard hinge on each side. The strato seat did have a hard back and I see the switch for that hard back sold by NNN and they say it is for 69-72 Nova. So this even puzzles me further. Did the Nova have the strato option and Fisher is wrong?

Last edited by Gloryhound; 9th-November-2006 at 05:28 PM.
Old 9th-November-2006, 05:57 PM   #7
jmcleek

My seats have latch release on the out board hing and is hi back (not detachable headrest) bucket seat, have pics on car domain on page 6.
Old 9th-November-2006, 06:37 PM   #8
Real McCoy

I just took my 72 Nova bucket seats to the upholstery shop today, they are low back, with adjustable head rests, plastic back, with the latch release in the middle of the back panel. They were actually Chevelle seats that I bought new foam and factory replacement after market covers for. Several knowledgable folks here told me they are the same seat frames with different tracks and covers only. Hope that may help. RM

2010 PRTA 5.30 Index Champion
Old 9th-November-2006, 10:22 PM   #9
Gloryhound

JMcleek: The seats in your car look great and the backs are exactly like the ones sold by ground up for 71-77 Camaros. You said you ordered 71-77 Camaro seat covers also. If I order the seat covers for a 72 Nova will they be zip up or will I be required to buy plastic backs also?

Real McCoy: I found an add that says Strato bucket seat options in the 72 Nova, but as stated previously my Fisher body manual says Strato buckets was not used in 72 X and F bodies. If the frame is the same does it use the integral foam and springs like what was used in 72? Also can the latching mechanism be changed from one seat frame to the other as the Strato buckets use the center push button at the top of the back to unlatch and tilt the seat forward and the Fisher body manual says the nova used one that was on the lower outer part of the seat near the hinge?

Old 9th-November-2006, 10:40 PM   #10
jmcleek

Seat covers are for 72 nova. I ordered complete set frount and back.
Old 9th-November-2006, 11:07 PM   #11
1quik69

Nova(s): 1969w/468,1972w/408,
The 72 we have shows as a factory bucket seat car. It has the high back seats with the plastic cover on the back of them.
Old 9th-November-2006, 11:15 PM   #12
Gloryhound

OK now I have the conformation I need. I just hate paying shipping costs twice. So now when I order my seat covers I know I will need to order the backs also. I'll probably order new foam and springs as well since from experience everything goes together better on new seat foam than on old worn out stuff and since the springs are integral with the foam I guess they have to be new also.

Thanks for everyones assistance on figuring this out.

Old 27th-November-2006, 10:57 PM   #13
novanovice

Title: Nova Newbie
jmcleek, my 74 was as bad as yours was! the only thing is, i can not weld

novanovice
Old 28th-November-2006, 05:27 AM   #14
71SS

Since this issue comes up often, I started this thread and had it made a sticky. It deals with the buckets and mounts for 66 - 74 Novas.
Please add your findings to this thread so all Nova enthusiasts can benefit from your findings.
It can be found near the top of the "Originality" forum.
http://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums...ad.php?t=32475

Thanks, Dan
Old 7th-December-2006, 12:52 PM   #15
Gloryhound

I'm bringing this back to the top becouse I want to know for high back bucket seats (72-74) what years were plastic back panels used and what years were zipper up the center of the backs used (or vinyl back)? I want to get it all straight so I can add it to the buckets and mounts sticky in origionality.

Right now I believe the 72 had hard plastic back panels. So with that said:

72 Hi back buckets had plastic panel backs
73 Hi back buckets standard interior = ????????????
73 Hi back buckets custom interior = ???????????
74 Hi back buckets standard interior = ?????????? (Thinking vinyl with zipper)
74 Hi back buckets custom interior = ?????????? (Thinking plastic panel)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement