traction bar install - Chevy Nova Forum
Visit our sponsor, National Nostalgic Nova

Steve's Nova Site is an automotive enthusiast website dedicated to the 1962 - 1979 Chevrolet Nova, Chevy II and Acadian automobiles. We work together to preserve, restore, drive, show, race and provide fellowship for these classic cars. This is one of the best places to find information about parts, rebuilding, restoration and racing. This website is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or Chevrolet in any capacity.

Go Back   Chevy Nova Forum > Body, Chassis and Mechanical > Drivetrain & Performance

StevesNovaSite.com is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 27th-October-2006, 11:42 PM   #1
YIK YAKS 67 SS

Title: Nova Junior Member
Nova(s): 1967 SS 327 4 speed
traction bar install

Installed a set of lakewood traction bars on my 67 today. The drivers side fit fine with room for adjustment of the snubber with the square u bolt. On the pass. side the snubber is tight againt the mono leaf spring, no room for adjustment. Both snubbers are in the front hole. These are the bars that replace the bottom spring pad which the shocks bolt to. Any ideas as to why or how to correct. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 28th-October-2006, 01:29 PM   #2
Custom Jim

Title: Nova Guru
Nova(s): 1968,1973,1974,1977
I have a set on my 73 that replace the lower shock/leaf plate and on mine they have the U bolts to go around the axle tubes. By loosening the rear nuts and tightening the fronts I can slightly raise the snubber position. If I do the opposite (loosen the front nuts and tighten the rear nuts) I can slightly lower the snubber.
If something like this doesn't work then moroso used to sell aluminum angle wedges and were made out of aluminum. These are used to adjust the angle that the traction bars sat and would go on the rear axle assembly/leaf spring mounts. I think they were about 3 degree wedge ?.

Jim
Old 31st-October-2006, 01:21 AM   #3
Bscman

Nova(s): '72 2-door
Quote:
Originally Posted by YIK YAKS 67 SS View Post
The drivers side fit fine with room for adjustment of the snubber with the square u bolt.
The "square u-bolt" you reference is a safety hoop. It's not really designed to adjust the gap between the bumper and the spring eye.
I wouldn't recommend using it to get the bumper closer to the spring unless it's only a very slight amount (less than 1/4"). Doing so could put an irregular pre-load on the spring and prematurely wear it out, or damage it (or so I'm told).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom Jim View Post
If something like this doesn't work then moroso used to sell aluminum angle wedges and were made out of aluminum. These are used to adjust the angle that the traction bars sat and would go on the rear axle assembly/leaf spring mounts. I think they were about 3 degree wedge ?.
Lakewood and Moroso both make these shims. They can be purchased in 1* "stackable" shims, or 2, 3, and 4* shims. The can be used to either bring the bumper closer to the spring, or give you more distance.
I had to use a 4* shim for each side with my multi-leafs to get them with 1/4" of the spring eye. I like mine as tight as possible.

Another method would be to trim the bumpers...just don't get too carried away.
Old 31st-October-2006, 02:48 AM   #4
Colin

Title: Nova Senior Member
I always had better luck with slapper bars when the snubber is adjusted to the point where is slightly pressed against the spring eye. Most cars that I see that have slappers have the snubber hanging down like 2+ inches.....that never did anything for me performance wise.
Old 31st-October-2006, 12:47 PM   #5
Bscman

Nova(s): '72 2-door
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin View Post
I always had better luck with slapper bars when the snubber is adjusted to the point where is slightly pressed against the spring eye. Most cars that I see that have slappers have the snubber hanging down like 2+ inches.....that never did anything for me performance wise.
+1
My first install w/o the 4* shims had the bumper about 2.5" below the spring eye. I took it for a spin around the block and couldn't really tell they were even there. Thought I would imagine it would make a larger difference with a mono-leaf over my multi's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement