performance parts for the 153 4 cyl... - Chevy Nova Forum
Visit our sponsor, National Nostalgic Nova

Steve's Nova Site is an automotive enthusiast website dedicated to the 1962 - 1979 Chevrolet Nova, Chevy II and Acadian automobiles. We work together to preserve, restore, drive, show, race and provide fellowship for these classic cars. This is one of the best places to find information about parts, rebuilding, restoration and racing. This website is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or Chevrolet in any capacity.

Go Back   Chevy Nova Forum > Body, Chassis and Mechanical > Drivetrain & Performance

StevesNovaSite.com is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 28th-August-2006, 04:10 PM   #1
xdeadboox

Title: Nova Newbie
performance parts for the 153 4 cyl...

the same motor (153ci chebby) was used in the jeep postal editions. i got one laying around, and a small turbo and was thinking of doing something different and building a mild turbo 4 cyl. hell, the svo mustangs had turbo 4's in the 80's right. my question is does anyone make aftermarket parts for these motors. i found cams, granted i'd end up going with a custom grind, but mostly looking for heads and ignition mods .just an idea to toy around with, kinda like doing different sh1t. any info appreciated. thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 28th-August-2006, 04:16 PM   #2
skullboy

Title: Nova Guru
Nova(s): 63 Chevy 2
I think they run those in certain types of mini sprints.I remember a bud of mine doing this.I will see what i find and hope i am not wrong.
Old 28th-August-2006, 04:17 PM   #3
novaken

I would check with marine parts suppliers. They still use this engine in many different applications.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2425580/1
Old 28th-August-2006, 05:04 PM   #4
hecticblasts

Title: Nova Junior Member
Nova(s): '66 4dr
For parts you can research what's available for the six cylinder engines,the parts are mostly the same(pistons,w/pump,bearings,etc.).Check at inliners.org for more info.
Old 28th-August-2006, 07:23 PM   #5
fore-speed

4 cyl performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by novaken View Post
I would check with marine parts suppliers. They still use this engine in many different applications.
Talked to a guy in Montana drag racing a 4 cyl. He said his performance parts came from Merc marine. No idea if these are NOS parts or currently available.
Old 29th-August-2006, 01:33 PM   #6
Mitchc

Title: Nova Senior Member
Nova(s): 1962 Chevrolet Nova
If I remember right you can use some of the V-8 parts in the 153.. We used to put 196 intake valves in the head and 150 exhust valves, I cant remember but we used to put I think it was 327 pistons bore them to 4.000... I have a friend that used to race them in the 4 cyl class dirt track.. He even had a 4 barrel carb and intake for one.. Headers.. etc.. Lots of parts out there for them..

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdeadboox View Post
the same motor (153ci chebby) was used in the jeep postal editions. i got one laying around, and a small turbo and was thinking of doing something different and building a mild turbo 4 cyl. hell, the svo mustangs had turbo 4's in the 80's right. my question is does anyone make aftermarket parts for these motors. i found cams, granted i'd end up going with a custom grind, but mostly looking for heads and ignition mods .just an idea to toy around with, kinda like doing different sh1t. any info appreciated. thanks
Old 30th-August-2006, 12:07 PM   #7
xdeadboox

Title: Nova Newbie
pistons, rods etc i found, headers and intake i think i could get away with making. just a lil worried about how much power i could produce with that head even reworked. also havin trouble finding decent rocker arms. are these interchangable with the 194 and 230's because i believe someone makes them for the 6's? thanks for all the info guys
Old 30th-August-2006, 12:44 PM   #8
Bruce

Nova(s): 6 cylindersssssss
The 153 is basically a 230 with 2 cylinders chopped off. The rocker arms should be the same as the late 6 cylinders. Crower makes a couple of different styles. Ansen made hot rod pieces for the 153as they were very popular midget engines; you can occasionally find 153 specific parts on ebay.
Old 30th-August-2006, 12:51 PM   #9
Fredsgarage

Nova(s): 65 Coupe 63 Mo-Door
4 sames as 6

I believe Clifford has plenty of parts for the Four. It is the same as our near famous Chevy Inline 6 (also known as L6) 194-230-250 and shares many of the same compnents only cut down by two.

I think the Iron Duke is also a donner? Check into that one.

And you might also check Mercruiser on ebay, and on the web Inliners.org,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement