Torque specs for head bolts on an inline? - Chevy Nova Forum
Visit our sponsor, National Nostalgic Nova

Steve's Nova Site is an automotive enthusiast website dedicated to the 1962 - 1979 Chevrolet Nova, Chevy II and Acadian automobiles. We work together to preserve, restore, drive, show, race and provide fellowship for these classic cars. This is one of the best places to find information about parts, rebuilding, restoration and racing. This website is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or Chevrolet in any capacity.

Go Back   Chevy Nova Forum > Body, Chassis and Mechanical > Drivetrain & Performance

StevesNovaSite.com is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 18th-July-2006, 03:14 PM   #1
simmondj

Title: Nova Junior Member
Torque specs for head bolts on an inline?

Okay, so I am going to avoid the 292 because of too many headaches getting it to fit my car. Instead I found the head from a 250 that I am going to bolt on my 194.

(a) What is the correct torque for the head bolts??

(b) are there any tips for doing the swap, I have never done one before?
(I know to keep all the push rods in order and check for warped rods)

(c) How do I check to make sure the head I am buying is okay and not another disaster like the cracked head that is already on the car?

Thanks again guys

Starving Grad Student
w/1964 Acadian 4-door Canso
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 18th-July-2006, 03:39 PM   #2
novaboy009

Title: Nova Guru
(a) 75 ft/lbs. Go to 50 lbs, 60 lbs, then 75 lbs all the way around the bolts to draw it down flat.

(b) Make sure everything is clean. Clean engines are happy engines.

(c) Visually inspect for cracks, damage, or discoloration. See if the valves are even with the bottom of the head and the seats aren't sunk. Use a spring checker to see if the valve springs are still okay. Best idea - go to the machine shop and have them magnaflux and rebuild the head.

Kev
Old 19th-July-2006, 01:06 PM   #3
Bruce

Title: Nova Guru
Nova(s): 6 cylindersssssss
Take a machinist's straight edge and make sure the head and block are both flat. If the motor got hot due to the head problem it is wise to check.

Make sure the waterpump is installed in the block when you torque the head. It helps support the area the left front bolt screws into.

If you are doing the job alone, get a couple of long bolts, or cut off the heads off a couple of extra head bolts to use as guides to line the head and gasket up. The weight and size of the head can make it difficult to line up and keep the gasket from moving. Just make sure you can get the guide studs back out!!

Good luck on getting it back together.
Old 19th-July-2006, 02:24 PM   #4
Real McCoy

Title: Moderator
Not sure how you'd get this home but here you go if it will help you. This is a NC area. RM

Author: Dan
E-mail: Leat5914@bellsouth.net
Date: 7/19/2006 11:55:26 AM
Subject: Chevy 235 motor F/S
Message: 60-61 235 CI. inline 6 F/S, motor ran when pulled been in dry storage for 4 years was rebuilt 2 yrs prior , motor compleate less carb,has all belts, pulleys, starter, 3 spd bell housing, gotta go $100 obo. email or call 704-648-6166

2010 PRTA 5.30 Index Champion
Old 20th-July-2006, 10:26 AM   #5
simmondj

Thanks guys,

I went and picked the 250 head up yesterday. It was a piece of crap. The chambers and valves were all rusted cause the guy stored the engine with the manifolds off and water got in. What a nasty deal. That was 3 hours of drive time for a piece of junk.

I took my 194 head to a machine shop and they thought they might be able to repair the crack, but one of the oldtimers was concerned about the repair not holding because the crack was right on the weakest part of the head around the first bolt hole. I trust his judgement.

I found a cheap 230 out of a Chevelle and I think I am gonna drop that in and be done with the whole fiasco.

Starving Grad Student
Old 20th-July-2006, 09:49 PM   #6
simmondj

Thanks for the help guys. I'll let ya know how things turn out.

Starving Grad Student
Sponsored Links
Advertisement