66 vent windows - Chevy Nova Forum
Visit our sponsor, National Nostalgic Nova

Steve's Nova Site is an automotive enthusiast website dedicated to the 1962 - 1979 Chevrolet Nova, Chevy II and Acadian automobiles. We work together to preserve, restore, drive, show, race and provide fellowship for these classic cars. This is one of the best places to find information about parts, rebuilding, restoration and racing. This website is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or Chevrolet in any capacity.

Go Back   Chevy Nova Forum > Body, Chassis and Mechanical > Body and Interior

StevesNovaSite.com is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 21st-May-2006, 04:56 PM   #1
66nogo2

Title: Nova Guru
Nova(s): 66 L30 Sport Coupe
66 vent windows

Have you guys discussed the 62-67 Hardtop vent window? Could someone tell me what the reproduction vent window rubber fits like.

Has anybody replaced the pivot rivets? Is there a special tool? Help needed Iam working on my 66 and trying to decide if I want to replace the rubber. One of the rivets is broke. Thanks

Last edited by 66nogo2; 21st-May-2006 at 06:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 22nd-May-2006, 01:16 AM   #2
SparkysSS

Title: Readers Club
Vent Window frames

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66nogo2
Have you guys discussed the 62-67 Hardtop vent window? Could someone tell me what the reproduction vent window rubber fits like.

Has anybody replaced the pivot rivets? Is there a special tool? Help needed Iam working on my 66 and trying to decide if I want to replace the rubber. One of the rivets is broke. Thanks
I'd like to hear what the answer is too. Or is the repop vent frames the solution.
Old 22nd-May-2006, 03:12 AM   #3
novacars

Title: Guest
First off do not drill out the outside stainless rivet!! , When you remove the top potmetal molding , the lower mounting bolt behind the door panel , and the philips head screw above the door panel , the whole thing will pull out of the door with a little effort . You will then notice there are two rivets that retain the hinge to the frame . Grind the heads off , and push them out , them remove the screw at the top of the frame and then the nut and spring from the bottom and the frame , and its apart . To remove the glass from the frame for replacement or reseal use a propane torch to slightly heat the metal frame to soften the seal and the window will come out . It is also a good time to polish the stainless on the frame that will just slide out on on the inside , and snap out on the outside . The hinge bracket rivets that were ground off can be replaced by stainless pop rivets and will be hidden under the new seal. C20 also sells new channels that the window slides in which will make the whole job look like new . Frank
Old 22nd-May-2006, 10:59 AM   #4
1962ChevyII

Title: Nova Junior Member
Nova(s): 1962 Chevy II Nova 2006
I just finished replacing my vent windows and if you have access there is a good article on this in the March 96 NNN. I can't post the article bc I don't have a scanner. But it isn't that hard, just take your time when you are pulling the glass out of the frame. I have learned that the harder it is to break the glass free means that there is more rust down in the frame. I have found that if you take a stiff wire and push it down the length of the vent frame helps to break the thing loose -- but it will still take away bc you have to be careful not to chip the glass.

if you have any questions let me know and I'll try to help
Old 22nd-May-2006, 08:29 PM   #5
66nogo2

Title: Nova Guru
Nova(s): 66 L30 Sport Coupe
Frank that is great info!
1. Here is my problem the Stainless Rivet is Broken. I purchased new stainless rivets from C2O. Do you know the best way to install them?

2. Have you ever used the Reproduction Weather Strip the vent glass seals against when closed? The original rubber weather strip has small hairl line cracks that can be seen when the vent window is open, thought about just using something to fill in the small cracks like the sealer used to install late model windshields if the reproduction Wheather Strip is crap.

3.Has anybody ever tried to fix original rubber weather striping for the vent windows with something that will stick to the rubber and fill in the small hairline cracks?

Thanks You guys for the info!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement