bolt on VS Weld on sub frame connectors - Chevy Nova Forum
Visit our sponsor, National Nostalgic Nova

Steve's Nova Site is an automotive enthusiast website dedicated to the 1962 - 1979 Chevrolet Nova, Chevy II and Acadian automobiles. We work together to preserve, restore, drive, show, race and provide fellowship for these classic cars. This is one of the best places to find information about parts, rebuilding, restoration and racing. This website is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or Chevrolet in any capacity.

Go Back   Chevy Nova Forum > Body, Chassis and Mechanical > Steering, Suspension, and Chassis

StevesNovaSite.com is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 26th-April-2006, 02:23 PM   #1
Ironcross25

Title: Nova Junior Member
Nova(s): 1971 406 sbc
bolt on VS Weld on sub frame connectors

does any one have an opinion on the strength of bolt on subframe connecters versus the strength of weld on ones. Any input would be great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 26th-April-2006, 02:33 PM   #2
wskaiser

Title: Nova Guru
Weld on will offer the most strength but bolt on is a vast improvement over none at all. Guess the choice is up to you depending on what you want. I personally have bolt on and have no complaints but I don't abuse mine to the point where it would make any difference.
http://community.webshots.com/user/wskaiser
Old 26th-April-2006, 02:42 PM   #3
NovatoriusRex

Nova(s): 67 Chevy II Nova Hardtop
You could get the best of both worlds by initially bolting on a set of connectors and then getting them welded on when time/money allow.

From what I've seen, there isn't much difference in the actual structure of the two different types of connectors. The only real difference is how they connect to the car at the end points.

With the bolt on connectors actually contacting more metal on the car before being welded in, might they actually be stronger at the end points than weld-on only connectors?

I want a new duck. One that won't steal my beer... - Weird Al
Old 26th-April-2006, 04:19 PM   #4
chevy2inreno

Title: Nova Senior Member
That's what I did. I installed bolt-on connectors from Competition Engineering on my 63 vert. Then, about a year later, had them welded on when I had a new exhaust installed. The difference was noticable when I bolted them on and noticable again after they were welded. In addition, I had the exhaust shop jack the car up a couple inches in the middle of the door when they welded up the connectors in an attempt to square up the door openings to a degree. If I had it to do over though, I'd use the Gloabl West connectors and not the Comp pieces.

On a related note, I also noticed the car got stiffer when I replaced the rotted trunk floor with a new solid floor.

Dave
Old 26th-April-2006, 04:21 PM   #5
Ox65

Nova(s): 65' Chevy II
weld ons, I think there easier to install then bolt on ones. I have home made ones. But I'm making new ones because I'm putting in new rear framerails.

Just my .02
Old 29th-April-2006, 05:27 PM   #6
intruder

Title: Nova Newbie
Nova(s): 1963 wagon
Don't you have to move the springs inboard on one or the other? And doesn't Chevy2Only have tubular connectors? Anyone tried those?

"Just because I rock, doesn't mean I'm made of stone."

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace." -Thomas Paine"

Psalm 144:1

http://www.cardomain.com/id/intruder_
Old 29th-April-2006, 05:43 PM   #7
wskaiser

I don't think neither weld on or bolt on require moving the springs. I know my bolt on did not.
http://community.webshots.com/user/wskaiser
Old 30th-April-2006, 04:57 AM   #8
Colin

Title: Nova Senior Member
Comp Engineering weld in connectors for 3rd gen Nova's require the use of their rear frame rails, which are designed to move the springs in.
Old 30th-April-2006, 02:19 PM   #9
mychevyii20

Nova(s): 1966 More Door 350hp 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy2inreno
....... If I had it to do over though, I'd use the Gloabl West connectors ........

On a related note, I also noticed the car got stiffer when I replaced the rotted trunk floor with a new solid floor.
Dave
I used the Global West weld in connectors. Fit well, no interference with the floor or cables.
Old 6th-July-2009, 03:19 PM   #10
Ourtopless63

Nova(s): 63 Convertible, 350, auto
I have a 63 convertible. Global West and Comp Engineering both told me their sub frame connectors will not fit my car. Has anyone tried them? Can they be modified to fit?
Old 6th-July-2009, 04:25 PM   #11
luepke75

Nova(s): 63SS,63LR,68
Comp. Eng. weld in connectors have the front spring box mount welded on them and are designed to be used with their rear rails. They can be modified to work by cutting the mount off. I did this to use their rear rails with the connectors I already had. If I ever do it again I will save the money and make my own. All you need is 2"x2" box tube. Something around .063 should work fine. It will cost you around $20-$30. There are many ways to do it. I used the CW ones and have been very happy with them. Using the 2x2 will require cutting the floor. welding them in will be stronger it connects them to the car in more places. Like others have said you can use the bolt in ones and then weld every where they touch the car.
Old 6th-July-2009, 06:50 PM   #12
dh63ss

Nova(s): 1963 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mychevyii20 View Post
I used the Global West weld in connectors. Fit well, no interference with the floor or cables.
X2! I also have the Global West weld ins. I have considered welding a 2 inch section of angle iron from the seat braces to the connectors where they pass underneath, just for another tie-in point.
Old 6th-July-2009, 07:21 PM   #13
Fast Eddie

Nova(s): 1966 Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by mychevyii20 View Post
Great product, moved the springs inbound and used them in the opposite position. Hit the jackpot they fit perfectly.
Aqua
Old 7th-July-2009, 01:58 AM   #14
JRouche

Just go buy some heavy wall tube in either 2x4 or 2x3 and make them, weld in. You will be surprised at how inexpensive a couple sticks of tubing is compared to the "kits" that are available. Its just simple tubing... Weld in is my choice. JR
Old 27th-September-2009, 02:17 PM   #15
hexrob

Nova(s): 65 nova coupe
I just bought a 20ft. stick of 2x3 from my local metal shop for $24.50
Sponsored Links
Advertisement