Hardened fuel pump pushrod needed for billet roller cams? - Chevy Nova Forum
Visit our sponsor, National Nostalgic Nova

Steve's Nova Site is an automotive enthusiast website dedicated to the 1962 - 1979 Chevrolet Nova, Chevy II and Acadian automobiles. We work together to preserve, restore, drive, show, race and provide fellowship for these classic cars. This is one of the best places to find information about parts, rebuilding, restoration and racing. This website is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or Chevrolet in any capacity.

Go Back   Chevy Nova Forum > Body, Chassis and Mechanical > Drivetrain & Performance

StevesNovaSite.com is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12th-April-2006, 08:31 PM   #1
NovatoriusRex

Title: Nova Guru
Nova(s): 67 Chevy II Nova Hardtop
Hardened fuel pump pushrod needed for billet roller cams?

I was reading the new issue of CHP today and there was a small writeup in their Q&A column about needing a hardened fuel pump pushrod for use with the ZZ4 cam.

Since this cam is what I have in my motor, I am wondering if I have the correct pushrod installed in the block now. I am using ARP-134-9701 (Summit part #) which is listed as a lightweight chromemoly pushrod, but it says nothing about being hardened.

Need I be concerned?

*Edit - I did some searching online and it is more confusing now since a lot of people online are saying to use a bronze-tipped pushrod. I hate conflicting stories. It is confusing and frustrating.

I want a new duck. One that won't steal my beer... - Weird Al

Last edited by NovatoriusRex; 12th-April-2006 at 08:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 13th-April-2006, 05:39 AM   #2
65 Post

Nova(s): 65 Post
I don't know what a HARDENED fuel pump pushrod is. ALL fp pushrods are hardened. They might mean lightened. As in the hollow pump rod with the hardened tips. It's lighter and won't float the fuel pump. Dave

2002 GORDY 150" RED, 7.91@ 167
Old 13th-April-2006, 11:34 AM   #3
NovatoriusRex

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65 Post
I don't know what a HARDENED fuel pump pushrod is. ALL fp pushrods are hardened. They might mean lightened. As in the hollow pump rod with the hardened tips. It's lighter and won't float the fuel pump. Dave
According to what I was reading, the billet steel roller cams can cause problems with the fuel pump pushrod; at least regarding GM's ZZ4 cam.

It wasn't really explained very well regarding whether the fuel pump cam lobe was likely to get chewed up or if the fuel pump pushrod was likely to get chewed up if there was a problem with an improper pushrod.

At this point I'm inclined not to worry about it due to the inconsistency of the info available. I think my motor may have bigger problems on the horizon that are going to require a tear-down.

Old 13th-April-2006, 07:00 PM   #4
68SSGrandpa

Billet Cams, must use a Bronze tipped fuel pump push rod.
Comp sells a bronze tip fuel pump push rod part # 249-4607
Billet cams require a bronze tip on the fuel pump rod, or you will wear off that fuel pump lobe off the cam in a big hurry.
Other companies make bronze tip pushes as well, not just comp.
TKO-600 Moser 4:11
Old 14th-April-2006, 12:38 AM   #5
NovatoriusRex

Here's one of the sites that posts conflicting info. Sallee is usually my first source of info for ZZ4 related info. The two guys discussing the topic here appear to have two different perspectives.

The "Scott" person sounds like he works for Sallee, but it isn't clear.

http://www.sallee-chevrolet.com/Disc...tml?1091136581

Also, the guy in the June '06 issue of Chevy High Performance says to use GM part number 3704817 which uses some "special heat-treat process" on the pushrod for use with a billet cam.

Thanks for your input 68.

Old 14th-April-2006, 02:06 AM   #6
NovatoriusRex

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovatoriusRex
Here's one of the sites that posts conflicting info. Sallee is usually my first source of info for ZZ4 related info. The two guys discussing the topic here appear to have two different perspectives.

The "Scott" person sounds like he works for Sallee, but it isn't clear.

http://www.sallee-chevrolet.com/Disc...tml?1091136581

Also, the guy in the June '06 issue of Chevy High Performance says to use GM part number 3704817 which uses some "special heat-treat process" on the pushrod for use with a billet cam.

Thanks for your input 68.
FYI - I dug a little deeper into that GM part number. It appears that Sallee includes that pushrod in their turn-key crate kit (Fastburn 383 w/ ZZ4 cam), so if they're going to warranty those motors with that pushrod, it seems like that'd be the correct one to use.

I think I'm going to take out the ARP one I had been using and put in the GM part before I do some real damage; assuming I haven't already.

Old 14th-April-2006, 05:36 AM   #7
65 Post

Nova(s): 65 Post
Well, I learned something today! Dave

2002 GORDY 150" RED, 7.91@ 167
Old 21st-April-2006, 12:15 AM   #8
NovatoriusRex

Update

I pulled my ARP pushrod out tonight to look for any signs of damage and the end of the pushrod that rides against the cam's pump lobe was perfectly clean and smooth still. It doesn't appear that this entire topic was an issue.

Just to be on the safe side though, I did replace it with the GM part I referenced earlier.

FYI - Replacing the fuel pump pushrod with the motor installed in the car is a PITA!!! AND, this one sorta PO'ed me, the bolt hole on the front of the block that's supposed to be tapped all the way through the block to hold the pushrod up ISN'T tapped all the way through on 1985+ production (not aftermarket GM) blocks, or at least it's not on mine. After fighting with the pushrod for a while, I had to get in my real car and go buy some grease to use to hold the pushrod in.

It's all back together and purring again. Next up, fuel mixture adjustments; this thing is running RICH! Stinky.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement