Chevy Nova Forum banner

10 Bolt 8.2 & 8.5 Identification

45K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Weedsfast72 
#1 ·
Is there a way to tell the difference between an 8.2 and an 8.5 posi carrier?
With all the swap meets out there a lot of the carriers are just sitting on a table or the ground.Would there be a sure way to tell by looking for casting numbers and where would be a good reference chart? Also can you determine if the posi unit is damaged and what would be a fair price for a used unit?
I am intrested in a rebuild of my 10 bolt but being new at this it seems a good start is to ask a lot of questions.
Thanks Paul

#2 ·
Hi Paul,

If there is still a ring gear bolted to the carrier, take a look at the size of the bolt heads. If not, look at the size of the threaded holes for those bolts.

The 8.5" 10-bolts use 7/16" left-hand thread bolts. The heads take an 11/16" wrench/socket.

I believe the 8.2" 10-bolts use slightly smaller 3/8" bolts that take a 9/16" wrench/socket.

#9 ·
10 bolt

I have the same as mike, according to this thread its posted that the bolts have a 11/16 head, mine are also 3/4 , all the other casting marks and cover size matches the post, any input from the Guru's out there? 72 nova stock with an l6, soon to be different lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.