How to hook up kick-down cable th350? - Chevy Nova Forum
Visit our sponsor, National Nostalgic Nova

Steve's Nova Site is an automotive enthusiast website dedicated to the 1962 - 1979 Chevrolet Nova, Chevy II and Acadian automobiles. We work together to preserve, restore, drive, show, race and provide fellowship for these classic cars. This is one of the best places to find information about parts, rebuilding, restoration and racing. This website is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or Chevrolet in any capacity.

Go Back   Chevy Nova Forum > Body, Chassis and Mechanical > Drivetrain & Performance

StevesNovaSite.com is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 24th-February-2006, 12:15 PM   #1
NovaNate

Title: Nova Senior Member
Nova(s): 71 Ventura
How to hook up kick-down cable th350?

Anybody have a photo or good description of how to hook up the kick down cable from a th350 to a edelbrock carb? Any tricks to adjustment? I'm a little confused looking at the long slot on the kick down cable end, and the available holes in the carb throttle lever. Which hole do I stick it to? Outside or inside of throttle lever? What kind of fastner?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 24th-February-2006, 01:11 PM   #2
BTHOMAS67Wagon

Title: Nova Guru
Without posting a pic, I'll try to help...

First, you will want the Detent/Kick down to be on the "bottom part" of the throttle linkage on the carb, so that when you depress the pedal your accel linkage will pull the throttle linkage back and rotating the detent part of the linkage foward. (I hope that makes since ?!)

The detent cable as you mentioned, has the long slotted hole in it, which will attach to the throttle linkage and when the stud (can be bought anywhere) reaches the end of that slotted hole, it will pull the detent cable.

When you are at WOT (wide open throttle) you want the detent to be at the end of the pull. (and remember, just because you are pulling WOT at the carb, doesn't mean that your pedal is pulling it that far. So WOT, should be measured with the pedal.)

Hopefully that helps and maybe someone can explain it in words better then myself ?!

-Brent Thomas
Ohio
-69 MGC GT
-91 GMC Syclone (Jan 2014)
Old 24th-February-2006, 02:07 PM   #3
DANNO

Nova(s): 72 Sedan
Here's mine:

Old 24th-February-2006, 08:45 PM   #4
malcom2073

Title: Nova Newbie
Awesome, I've been wondering how to hook mine up as well, figured it was something like that, the pic helped thanks.
Old 24th-February-2006, 11:21 PM   #5
novacharlie

Title: Nova Junior Member
Nova(s): 1963 hardtop
I un hooked mine completely and soldered the end shut. I figure with the mega shift I can down shift just as well. Anyone else disconected theres?

Chuick
Old 25th-February-2006, 07:48 PM   #6
68chevyll

Mine is not hooked up either.
Old 25th-February-2006, 10:28 PM   #7
footbrake68

Nova(s): 1974 Nova, 1968 Camaro RS
Yep ... good pic Danno - we hooked ours up to hit about 7/8 throttle input after installing the new motor ... then the new cable was promptly melted by the new headers ... so just make sure you route it away from the hot stuff in the engine bay.

We just got in a hurry to hear it run and drive it down the road .
1998 Firebird TA Ram Air Conv LS1
http://photobucket.com/albums/y182/footbrake68/
Old 25th-February-2006, 10:42 PM   #8
BTHOMAS67Wagon

Okay, you all offically threw me for a loop on this ?!
You didn't hook up your kick down ?!
Why!!!

How do you pass?
How do you "get up and go"?

Did you switch you valvebodies or soemthing from stock?

-Brent Thomas
Ohio
-69 MGC GT
Old 25th-February-2006, 11:16 PM   #9
DANNO

The kickdown is just a way to downshift with your foot (what we used to call, "passing gear"). If it's not hooked up, you just manually downshift.

Dan (but mine's hooked up)
Old 26th-February-2006, 11:00 AM   #10
novacharlie

Title: Nova Junior Member
Nova(s): 1963 hardtop
No valve body changes. If you manually shift there's no need for a kick down, the 4 barrel has enough power in its self. Most street rodders disconnect them.
Chuck
Old 26th-February-2006, 11:09 AM   #11
Carl Stevenson

I welcome correction if I'm wrong, but I thought a TH350 needed the cable hooked up to make correct/more pressure in the transmission for the shifts. What I mean by that is I thought the shifts were on the lame side if the cable is not pulled out as the the throttle opens. For example, if the cable was permanently pulled 3/4 of the way out, would the shifts not be firmer than if it was at rest?

Carl
Old 26th-February-2006, 01:37 PM   #12
BTHOMAS67Wagon

Quote:
Most street rodders disconnect them
Forgive me for sounding argumentative, but I completely disagree !!
(IT makes no sense !!)

Again, Why not just hook it up?

So, you are telling me that if you jump on the freeway are you need to pass someone at 50-60 mph, you drop it down to "D2" ?!

Have you ever missed "D2" and dropped down to "D1" (and listened to your engine and transmission loose a little life)?

I have only been in and floored a couple of cars that the detent was not hooked up (all being 350's w/4bls) and never have I had one "get up and go", but instead boog down and slowly gain speed. Again, why not just hook it up?!

I ONLY couple of reasons I can think of is that so that someone can make it sound like they are "manually shifting", they don't know how to hook it up, or they are jump too lazy.

There are NO reasons I can think of that they would be against hooking it up?!

PLEASE, someone chim in if they can change my way of thinking ?!

-Brent Thomas
Ohio
-69 MGC GT
Old 26th-February-2006, 02:45 PM   #13
Repointer

Nova(s): 1967 SS 1966 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNO
The kickdown is just a way to downshift with your foot (what we used to call, "passing gear"). If it's not hooked up, you just manually downshift.

Dan (but mine's hooked up)
This is what I understood. I never had mine hooked up all last year. Use my hand instead of foot for passing. (Or I should say hand and then foot ) Not a problem for me. I did ask the guy who just rebuilt my turbo 350 about it and he said it IS harder on the tranny if you leave it unhooked and manually shift. I couldn't tell you why though.
N/A
60' 1.63
7.49 @ 90.14
11.89 @ 111.30

1966 Post
6cyl
Old 26th-February-2006, 06:46 PM   #14
DANNO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Stevenson
I welcome correction if I'm wrong, but I thought a TH350 needed the cable hooked up to make correct/more pressure in the transmission for the shifts. What I mean by that is I thought the shifts were on the lame side if the cable is not pulled out as the the throttle opens. For example, if the cable was permanently pulled 3/4 of the way out, would the shifts not be firmer than if it was at rest?

Carl
You may be thinking of the Throttle Valve cable in overdrive trannys. Those must be hooked up and properly adjusted.

Dan (maybe?)
Old 26th-February-2006, 07:23 PM   #15
Ray_McAvoy

Nova(s): 1974 & 1977
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Stevenson

Carl
I agree with Carl. According to the service manual, the TH350 detent (kickdown) cable connects to both a detent valve and a detent pressure regulator inside the valve body. In addition to downshifting, it also increases the line pressure that's applied to the clutches. That increased pressure helps prevent the clutches from slipping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repointer
I did ask the guy who just rebuilt my turbo 350 about it and he said it IS harder on the tranny if you leave it unhooked and manually shift. I couldn't tell you why though.
The reduced pressure is what would make it harder on the transmission. It could allow the clutches to slip under the load of hard acceleration.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement