Blueprint engines - Chevy Nova Forum
Visit our sponsor, National Nostalgic Nova

Steve's Nova Site is an automotive enthusiast website dedicated to the 1962 - 1979 Chevrolet Nova, Chevy II and Acadian automobiles. We work together to preserve, restore, drive, show, race and provide fellowship for these classic cars. This is one of the best places to find information about parts, rebuilding, restoration and racing. This website is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or Chevrolet in any capacity.

Go Back   Chevy Nova Forum > Body, Chassis and Mechanical > Drivetrain & Performance

StevesNovaSite.com is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 24th-February-2014, 08:32 PM   #1
Bmac

Title: Nova Senior Member
Nova(s): 64 nova
Blueprint engines

Has anybody bought one of their engines? Looking into possible buying one of their 383 motors. Seems like a good price and warranty to boot. Got my car back from the body shop and it is smoking now and won't stay running after 30 seconds of running.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 24th-February-2014, 09:26 PM   #2
cdahl383

Title: Nova Guru
Nova(s): 1972 Nova
If I was getting a crate engine I'd be looking at the GM crate engines. I've heard good things about them and have seen several in cars around here at car shows, etc. The GM 350H.O. isn't too bad price wise and has around 330 hp. The ZZ4 and ZZ383 are both nice engines too but are a little more expensive. One guy on here is running a ZZ4 and sprays it at the track quite regularly and it's still holding up great.

I haven't heard much about the Blueprint engines.

What's up with your current engine though? What is it? Was it smoking before you took it to the shop? Have you tried to diagnose what's causing it to stop running after 30 seconds? Or are you set on getting a brand new engine?
"Enjoy the journey"
Old 24th-February-2014, 09:41 PM   #3
Jay L.

Nova(s): 1967 Chevy II Sedan
ditto on that one

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdahl383 View Post
If I was getting a crate engine I'd be looking at the GM crate engines. I've heard good things about them and have seen several in cars around here at car shows, etc. The GM 350H.O. isn't too bad price wise and has around 330 hp. The ZZ4 and ZZ383 are both nice engines too but are a little more expensive. One guy on here is running a ZZ4 and sprays it at the track quite regularly and it's still holding up great.

What's up with your current engine though? What is it? Was it smoking before you took it to the shop? Have you tried to diagnose what's causing it to stop running after 30 seconds? Or are you set on getting a brand new engine?
Old 25th-February-2014, 12:10 AM   #4
Bmac

Nova(s): 64 nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdahl383 View Post

Well I haven't really had a chance to mess with it. I've had 1 day off from work in the last 2 weeks. I hate our yearly shutdowns. It's a month of life lost lol. Anyway my car has a 335 in it. Why someone would stroke a 305 I don't know but That's what was in it when I bought it. It ran just fine before going into shop. I was hoping it would last another year and a half. Wanting to go with an LS3. I'm just up in the air right now with what has happened. The more I think about it I may just tear this one down and just do the basics to it and get it back on the road.
Old 25th-February-2014, 12:20 AM   #5
rickshire

Nova(s): 1966 nova 2 door hard top
My buddy bought a 632 blue print engine and the motor was perfect lots of power and seemed very well built !
Old 25th-February-2014, 11:25 AM   #6
cdahl383

Title: Nova Guru
Nova(s): 1972 Nova
I see. So it sounds like you just want to move to a different motor and not really worry too much about the current one.

LS swaps seem to be pretty popular nowadays. I think they're cool personally, but I'm not mechanically inclined enough to try and tackle something like that. Not sure what kind of dollars you'd be talking about either. There are plenty of guys on here who have done them though, I'm sure they could help you if you went that route.

If I were you, I'd spend some time thinking about what the long term plans are for the car.

Do you plan to keep it for a long time or forever, or just for a few years and sell it? If you put a lot of time/money into the car you may not necessarily get it all back if you sell it later in a few years.

Do you want a nice cruiser, or a street/strip car, or do you want to go the LS route and make it ride/handle/perform like a modern car with the old school looks?

I'd figure out what you want to do first before you spend any $$$. Once you figure out what you really want out of the car, then you can start tailoring things like the engine, trans, rear end, suspension, etc. all around that main goal.

Busy times suck at work, but at least it's not forever. We were really busy here at my work around year end closing the books, but now it's back to normal which is nice. It's about a month of crazy hours and then back to normal the rest of the year.

Good luck with whatever you decide!
"Enjoy the journey"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement