Power to Manual Steering Conversion ? - Chevy Nova Forum
Visit our sponsor, National Nostalgic Nova

Steve's Nova Site is an automotive enthusiast website dedicated to the 1962 - 1979 Chevrolet Nova, Chevy II and Acadian automobiles. We work together to preserve, restore, drive, show, race and provide fellowship for these classic cars. This is one of the best places to find information about parts, rebuilding, restoration and racing. This website is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or Chevrolet in any capacity.

Go Back   Chevy Nova Forum > Body, Chassis and Mechanical > Steering, Suspension, and Chassis

StevesNovaSite.com is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 28th-January-2014, 09:48 AM   #1
popatopsmith

Title: Nova Senior Member
Nova(s): 65 SS
Power to Manual Steering Conversion ?

Hi,

I hope everyone is surviving this most recent arctic blast. It's brutal out there . . . I picked a good week to go to Scottsdale!

I spent a few hours last night in the hotel reading through all the treads I could find on this site discussing the merits / reasons / etc., of removing the stock factory power steering and converting it a stock manual steer car. I've decided I'm going to take the leaky factory power steering components off of my 65 SS and make it manual steering. I'll hang onto the parts I take off in case I change my mind and want them back on - after repairing whatever is gushing out p/s fluid in my garage.

I know several of you have done this, too, so what I understand is I need to remove the stock p/s apparatus and installing a manual-steer center link, a manual-steer pitman arm . . . and install a new bearing kit on the existing idler arm . . . and then have the car aligned.

Can you experienced folks confirm my understanding of the conversion? It sounds reasonably simple, so I'd like to know if there's more to it.

Thanks,

M.Smith
Nashville, TN
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 28th-January-2014, 10:16 AM   #2
David67ss

Title: Nova Guru
Nova(s): 1967 Nova SS 4 Speed
Power to Manual Steering Conversion ?

Good morning:

I like to start off by telling you that I began to read all the Thread's on this site to make the move to Manual Steering. I have a 67ss with power steering and a 63 Sedan with manual steering. I took the 67 to another members house just to let him check it out,,, When in the 10fwy. going west I lost control of the Nova ( I have bump steer ). I freaked out, so I took the streets to his house. We put my nova on his lift and noticed that my power steering rack is gone. I had new ball joint's inner and outer power rack that will only leak when I would let it sit for more than a day, but super clean So after getting the finger and the I told you so from a friend. I said this is not right so when I got home I took the 63 Sedan for a ride and it handled why better than the 67. I will installing manual rack on the 67 now But just to give you the heads up? The manual rack is the better choice.

Good luck with your build and if you need a power steering rack for free? Come by and pick it up.... I'm in Fontana

David
Old 29th-January-2014, 07:18 PM   #3
popatopsmith

Title: Nova Senior Member
Nova(s): 65 SS
Getting rid of power steering on a 1st gen question ?

Bumping this post up . . . I would really appreciate anyone that has done this conversion to reply with a brief note of their experience . . . to let me know if I have oversimplified the process and if they were pleased with the manual steering and they were glad they made the change. . .

Thanks again,

M. Smith
Nashville, Alaska
Old 4th-September-2014, 05:41 PM   #4
Fredsgarage

Title: Nova Guru
Nova(s): 65 Coupe 63 Mo-Door
Manual steering? Me too!

Yes after converting to a V8 I too am in the process of removing the power steering on my 65. Not that bad a job getting it off and I have bought (thanks Joe Seeno) and located most of the parts to do it.

Was any of this a problem overall? Alignment of wheel, rods ?

Very excited to remove this ancient technology and give it to the Smithsonian.

James
Sponsored Links
Advertisement