street demon carb install/review - Chevy Nova Forum
Visit our sponsor, National Nostalgic Nova

Steve's Nova Site is an automotive enthusiast website dedicated to the 1962 - 1979 Chevrolet Nova, Chevy II and Acadian automobiles. We work together to preserve, restore, drive, show, race and provide fellowship for these classic cars. This is one of the best places to find information about parts, rebuilding, restoration and racing. This website is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or Chevrolet in any capacity.

Go Back   Chevy Nova Forum > Body, Chassis and Mechanical > Drivetrain & Performance

StevesNovaSite.com is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 28th-November-2013, 10:47 PM   #1
wolfmantough

Title: Nova Senior Member
Nova(s): 1973 4 door
street demon carb install/review

qjets, holleys, eddies... i've had them all on different model chevys. always a 350 though... some old and tired, some vortecs... etc etc.

this install was the fastest in that it required no tuning(outside of me setting for highest vacuum).

it pulls hard and shifts smoother than the edelbrock that i took off. i'm sure that when i take time to tune it a bit more that it'll continue to blow me away.

this carb completely did away with my hard starts or long cranking, and the heat soak issue i had with the edelbrock is completely gone. i just got back from an hour long ride on the highway, pulled into the driveway... waited five minutes and cranked it over. fired right up. we'll see how it does tomorrow morning at 6am when its in the 30's here.

highly recommended, especially if you can find one on ebay for less than MSRP like i did (325$ shipped).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 29th-November-2013, 10:52 AM   #2
mdd

Nova(s): 1966 wagon
What Size is it ?
Old 29th-November-2013, 10:57 AM   #3
cdahl383

Title: Nova Guru
Nova(s): 1972 Nova
Cool man, that's great, sounds like a nice carb! I've only run Holleys and Edelbrocks, never tried the Demons before.

I hear about people having hard starting/heatsoak issues with Edelbrocks but I've never had an issue after using one of those heat insulator base gaskets.

What size/model is it?
Old 29th-November-2013, 11:26 AM   #4
RPM Nova

Nova(s): 71 Nova 350ci/TH350 2dr
I'm also curious on the size/model of carb, and also the general specs of the engine you put it on.

I've been pretty happy with the Holley I currently have, but have considered potentially trying something else to see if any further improvements could be found. I've had an Edelbrock before, and it was OK but I prefer the Holley. I've also had Q-jets but never a Demon.

Only starting issue I've ever had with the Holley relating to heat soak is the fuel in the accelerator pump boiling away after a shutdown on a really hot day. This has only happened a handful of times in the many years that I've had this carb though. I think they make a gasket that shields the acc. pump specifically for this purpose.
Old 29th-November-2013, 12:16 PM   #5
wolfmantough

The demon is the 625cfm "street demon" model 1900.

Engine is a crate gm 350, mild cam, air gap intake... Hooker headers to straights.

Turns out it handles cold starts in 30/40 degrees just fine.
Old 29th-November-2013, 12:21 PM   #6
wolfmantough

Also just to be clear,

My qjets I could rebuild blindfolded, they are what they are...

My Holley (truck avenger, on a k5 blazer) was fine... No improvement over the qjet I pulled off for some reason...

My edelbrocks a have always been crappy. I've had two...a craigslist find and one off jegs. For the money, id rather have a Holley... Or now a Demon
Old 29th-November-2013, 12:42 PM   #7
d64nova

Nova(s): 67hrdtp 63 ss vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfmantough View Post
Also just to be clear,

My qjets I could rebuild blindfolded, they are what they are...

My Holley (truck avenger, on a k5 blazer) was fine... No improvement over the qjet I pulled off for some reason...

My edelbrocks a have always been crappy. I've had two...a craigslist find and one off jegs. For the money, id rather have a Holley... Or now a Demon
you know that holley make demon now edlebrocks could never stand them pos`s
Old 29th-November-2013, 12:58 PM   #8
wolfmantough

Quote:
Originally Posted by d64nova View Post
you know that holley make demon now edlebrocks could never stand them pos`s
I know, but I like having something A LITTLE different than other guys.
Old 29th-November-2013, 01:02 PM   #9
d64nova

Nova(s): 67hrdtp 63 ss vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfmantough View Post
I know, but I like having something A LITTLE different than other guys.
yeah i hear you i have an older race demon and it works pretty good just bought a holley 850 hp excellent carb
Old 29th-November-2013, 02:46 PM   #10
cdahl383

I think Quickfuel carbs are supposed to be pretty good too.

Does your Demon have an electric choke? I got the electric choke on my Eddy 800 and it starts up really easy on cold or warm days.

I had a manual choke on my old Holley and it worked alright as well, just had to make sure you didn't cheap out on the choke cable. The cheapies would bind up. The good ones would operate smoothly for years. I prefer electric chokes now though.
Old 29th-November-2013, 03:18 PM   #11
bacfire

Title: Nova Newbie
Nova(s): '63 Wagon
Glad yours worked for you. I bought one to replace my Quadrabog, but gave up on it and took it off. It ran well and was very responsive, but hurt fuel economy to the tune of 15%+. I bought the $50 tuning kit and calibrated it with a wideband O2 meter. No matter how I leaned it out, I just couldn't get the highway mileage out of it and that was a deal breaker for my 250 mile/week driver. Anyhow, I spent some time with the Q-jet and got pretty happy with it.

I have a phenolic-body Street Demon w/tuning kit for sale if anyone is interested. Like brand new.
Old 29th-November-2013, 05:06 PM   #12
wolfmantough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacfire View Post
Glad yours worked for you. I bought one to replace my Quadrabog, but gave up on it and took it off. It ran well and was very responsive, but hurt fuel economy to the tune of 15%+. I bought the $50 tuning kit and calibrated it with a wideband O2 meter. No matter how I leaned it out, I just couldn't get the highway mileage out of it and that was a deal breaker for my 250 mile/week driver. Anyhow, I spent some time with the Q-jet and got pretty happy with it.

I have a phenolic-body Street Demon w/tuning kit for sale if anyone is interested. Like brand new.
dang... Thats the model I wanted!!! I currently have no idea what kinda mileage im getting... as my fuel gauge still doesnt work
Old 29th-November-2013, 05:24 PM   #13
Roger Connolly

I have one that we took off a 383 Cu in. motor. $100 plus shipping if anybody is interested. PM me, was running when it came off.
Old 30th-November-2013, 01:27 PM   #14
bowtie0069

Nova(s): 69
Been running a Race Demon RS since 99. I usually tell people to expect a 20 H.P. or more loss right out of the box compared to a similar sized Holley, but some say they have had great luck with them as-is. It took me a lot of jetting and air bleed changes to get back to where I was with an 850 Holley. I rarely touch it except to squirt a little cleaner over the air bleeds because I don't run an air cleaner most of the time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement