roof panel 68 72 nova - Chevy Nova Forum
Visit our sponsor, National Nostalgic Nova

Steve's Nova Site is an automotive enthusiast website dedicated to the 1962 - 1979 Chevrolet Nova, Chevy II and Acadian automobiles. We work together to preserve, restore, drive, show, race and provide fellowship for these classic cars. This is one of the best places to find information about parts, rebuilding, restoration and racing. This website is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or Chevrolet in any capacity.

Go Back   Chevy Nova Forum > Non-Technical > 3rd Generation Chevy II/Nova's

StevesNovaSite.com is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 5th-November-2013, 11:36 AM   #1
jamesbaren

Title: Nova Newbie
Nova(s): 1968
roof panel 68 72 nova

good news i saw on ebay from tamaz where they are now selling a new roof panel this has been a long time coming
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 5th-November-2013, 11:46 AM   #2
Gregs72

Title: Nova Guru
Nova(s): 1972 Chev Nova
I saw that too!! was glad to see it was out!! I needed it 4 years ago but oh well I just got a donor car and made a panel!!

We have put one of the NEW panels on a 73 Camaro and it worked out and fit great!
Old 5th-November-2013, 12:35 PM   #3
Chevroletfreak

Nova(s): 1969
Of course.....after I bought a donor. I also found it at Autobody Specialties website.

I'm interested in the fit quality when someone gets one!
Old 5th-November-2013, 01:42 PM   #4
Chicago TDP

Nova(s): 1971 900 HP, 1969 LS1
I am not going to just knock them right away BUT in the my eyes, if you want it easy, find a donor car before buying aftermarket.

Maybe I am one of the pickiest car guys out there...I have never had a single aftermarket panel fit right, ever.

9 times out of 10, I ditch the aftermarket and find an OE panel and use that.

The last hood I bought from AMD did not even fit...the front of the hood tapered in on the sides and left a funny gap...even tried it on a different nova to make sure I had a bad fender...

And again, not knocking the re-pop panels...I would just prefer to find a car that is shot and cut the roof off of...which I do need to do soon because my FIRST CAR (my 71 nova) needs a roof to be complete.
Old 5th-November-2013, 02:11 PM   #5
Gregs72

Nova(s): 1972 Chev Nova
my car has repop 1/4 panels, door skins, fenders and Hood.......it all fits as good or better than OEM.......

yes it took some work but it can be done
Old 5th-November-2013, 05:22 PM   #6
WILMASBOYL78

Post repop metal...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago TDP View Post
I am not going to just knock them right away BUT in the my eyes, if you want it easy, find a donor car before buying aftermarket.

Maybe I am one of the pickiest car guys out there...I have never had a single aftermarket panel fit right, ever.

The last hood I bought from AMD did not even fit...the front of the hood tapered in on the sides and left a funny gap...even tried it on a different nova to make sure I had a bad fender...

And again, not knocking the re-pop panels...I would just prefer to find a car that is shot and cut the roof off of...which I do need to do soon because my FIRST CAR (my 71 nova) needs a roof to be complete.
I agree...assembly line sheet metal is always a better choice if possible. The repro stuff is convenient and easy to get...but, from experience nothing fits as well as the real thing. Of course, this is my opinion...and we know what opinions are worth

wilma
Old 5th-November-2013, 06:45 PM   #7
Nova_Guy

Nova(s): 68 Chevy II SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago TDP View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILMASBOYL78 View Post
I agree...assembly line sheet metal is always a better choice if possible. The repro stuff is convenient and easy to get...but, from experience nothing fits as well as the real thing. Of course, this is my opinion...and we know what opinions are worth

wilma
I agree with both of you. That being said what would be the going price for a decent used fender for a Nova if they weren't made by the aftermarket? I see NOS Nova fenders sell for $500-2000 depending on the year. A NOS 69 Camaro rear quarter sell for around $2500. If there were no aftermarket panels a good used fender would be $500-2000 depending on the year and a NOS fender might go for $25K for a popular car.
Most old Nova’s would be worth more for parts than as a whole. I can see ads for a 70 Nova needs 2-$5000 1/4 panels, both $1500 (each) front fenders and a $3000 hood and a $1500 core support to be complete. $800 trunk lid and $750 tail panel are there and are barely rusted out. $25K worth of floor and misc. parts are still on the car. As is for $17K!
You guys may hate aftermarket parts or might have the deep pockets for NOS and perfect GM parts. I'll take aftermarket parts for my old cars and deal with a little extra work. It isn't like its life or death for the average guy to have a perfect fit for a daily driver or racecar. Not every car has to be perfect for the owners to be happy.
Can you imagine the price of 68-70 Nova BBC engine frame stands, and heater cover if they weren’t reproduced? I bet they would bring huge money or they would be worth nothing. The aftermarket parts companies are the reason that old cars are still popular and being driven. Would you drive an old car if being in an accident would cost you $40-100K in parts and 3-4 years’ worth of time hunting NOS and perfect parts?

James
My web site
1968 Chevy II National Nostalgic Nova Member
Old 6th-November-2013, 05:31 PM   #8
jamesbaren

Nova(s): 1968
i agree with nova guru i cant afford the nos parts and with living in the south sometimes its hard to find a good donor car i drove all the way to florida for a 72 and this thing was so rotted i almost cried
Old 14th-November-2013, 01:44 PM   #9
396SS

Title: Nova Senior Member
Nova(s): 1968 SS 396 L34
I've been waiting a freaking long time for this part and was talking to the folks at Ground up a few months ago who told me it was coming soon. It's worth it to me to use aftermarket when it is difficult to find a completely rust free donor plus the time it takes to carefully remove the panel from the donor without causing damage to it. I can live with a little extra fitment work and not worry about needing to clean or sandblast a used part before installing. Plus these are coated on both sides, the factory roof is bare metal on the underside which is why they rot to begin with.
Old 14th-November-2013, 08:12 PM   #10
sshrop

Nova(s): 73 Nova, LQ4/LS2 build,
3 yrs ago I bought the front firewall section from a donor 74. After spending a good amount of time cleaning and striping it I found that someone had hammered the snot out of it at the distributor location.(Someone obviously to lazy to pull it). AMD now offers this part for 250 plus the ride. to me its not worth cutting the donor firewall out and having to rework the hammer marks for the cost of the re-pop part.
Old 17th-December-2013, 12:38 PM   #11
396SS

Nova(s): 1968 SS 396 L34
Has anyone here bought this roof panel yet? If so what do you think of the part quality / fit?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement